Thread: When are people going to actually be mean to me? Everything is going GREAT so far!?

Talking When are people going to actually be mean to me? Everything is going GREAT so far!?

I went from 0 to 60 in a day or two, and started living as a woman on my own since I came out to my family and friends on FB. As I go from store to store, and do my normal things I've always done amongst all the same people.. I feel very lucky as I think of the trials you have all shared in your own lives, whether you're out or not, I try to keep my outtings in perspective and brace myself for the first real confrontation and in about a week, nothing has happened badly, yet.

Not that I want it to.. but people are VERY accepting here in Florida. Maybe cause it's like the 2nd California maybe? haha.. well.. I was told by a sales clerk at Kangaroo today that I "went from Luke to Leiah" (he knows i'm a Star Wars freak). And that was the biggest compliment I got as far as someone using a reference to something I LOVE and hold so dear.. to happily exclaim my sudden change! and the guy was very friendly still and it did take a while before he recognized me too.. but as soon as he squinted I knew the jig was up and I smiled and sweetly coo'd "Hi there!" in my southern draw. it was a happy experience.

so far.. so great! I love going out dressed and riding my scooter with my hair sticking out from under my helmet as it flaps in the wind.. it's very empowering! I've been to all the goodwills in my town now and thrift shops and they are now accustomed to my new self!

When I started this forum I weighed 230 and now I'm 218!!! and still losing! I have to get to 185 its my target weight! My belly is ALMOST gone and I can't wait to have a truly femme waistline!

if anyone here wants to join my facebook band of merry friends, look me up as Alvina Boyett. you are all welcome! Just msg me who you are on here so I know to accept!

I love you all and wish the best for all of you and to all the new people here, HAPPY DRESSING!!
    --------------------------------------------
    With Love and Affection, Allison Leslie

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Alvina, that's so thrilling! I, too, have never really had any negative reactions when out as Amy...maybe one group of teenagers laughing when I got out for the first time (and I never knew if they were laughing at me or something else), but nothing since then! And some places have treated me very nicely indeed...

I sent a friend request.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Got your request girlfriend!

Aspiring Member
    I have been going through the same thing...everything going exceptionally smooth...I have not noticed anything different at all as I go about something like shopping...just wondering when something bad is going to happen...

Alvina,
    You post a not too flattering picture in the photo section and I will be mean to you, if you ask for an honest opinion.

For now, count your blessings, you must be doing something right.
    Merry Christmas.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

you are a delight, Bev!

Platinum Member
    Congratulations on emerging with such positive results. Of course, it's wise to prepare yourself for some unpleasantness that may arise at some point...whether it be in your personal or work life. When and if that day comes, draw upon the reserves of happiness you're accumulating now.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gone to live my life
    Hi Alvina,

I have only been going dressed on occasion for the past 2 months and with the exception of an odd stare or two, nothing truly aversive or confrontational. I still brace myself for this someday as I am sure it will happen. In fact, I will be using public transit for the first time tomorrow "en femme" so this will be an up close and confined experience . . . so we'll see.

Congrats though on your good experiences.

Hugs

Isha

Gold Member
    Alvina, I am coming up on 4 years of going out regularly. I haven't had a bad experience yet. I stay prepared as you may have difficulty dealing with a situation if you let it catch you too off guard, but it has been all good. I always say that in general, people treat you the way you treat them. I think that applies to going out to. Be open, caring, happy and it reflects back to you.

Banned Read only
    Good for you Alvina.

I think you are just Lucky because you live in such an "accepting" state.

Nah, not really. My guess is that you have discovered the CDers secret formula. Wear what you want and act "normal"... as in don't keep your head on a swivel and don't slink around like you are casing the area. And just treat folks right of course.

Good job on your weight loss too. As Kim mentioned, sooner or later you will probably run into "trouble" and IF you are ready for it, it will be a non event. The most likely "trouble" beyond any shadow of a doubt is likely to come from teenage girls but ONLY if they are in a gaggle. There are numerous ways to educate them. Just practice whatever solution you come up with.

On the note of public transit and how up-close it IS... well your profile pic looks great!.. I suggest if you have ANY issues with facial hair to shave only immediately before you leave the house

I am going to an appt. myself on the 26th for laser hair removal of the face, just an assesment though.. I have found that since I do not have a noticable adam's apple my five-o'clock shadow is my own worst enemy.. I can cover everything else and actually have passed a lot.. but only when I've shaved IMMEDIATELY before leaving has this worked.. just some advice form one gal to another that shadow comes through the makeup when it gets going!

I started to have the giggles issue with some young Goodwill workers but I ignored it and just kept on doin' my thing. I smiled at them and was very polite to them. That's a great weapon against adversity. yeah I learned very early NOT to slink around and look like I'm sneaking.... A long time ago my grandpa told me "son, it's all about confidence. you can be dressed in drag and have a clipboard in your arms, and get through almost every level of security in a hidden mountain ... it's not the clipboard but its a great prop.. its really the fact that you look like you know EXACTLY where you are going and what you are doing. Don't question yourself" And that has worked for me.. and no, no clipboard. I'm not sneaking into gov't agencies. lol. But yeah, CONFIDENCE, baby... Confidence!
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 12-23-2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Please use the edit button when there is no post since your last post.

Maybe we're refreshing to the public, after all the tattoos and piercings and all!