Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I was BORN this way".

Banned Read only

"I was BORN this way".

The title is often mentioned/expressed here at this Forum. 4 Qs.

1] When did you first CD and if it was "at a very early age" is that part of the reason maybe?

2] Are there folks who started much later - perhaps in their teens even - who also feel they were born this way?

3] Anyone who started "very early" NOT feel you were born that way?

4] What are the odds that many young kids, both boys and girls, tried on their parents or siblings clothes?

No doubt about it, Many here were born into the "wrong body". But for others, it looks like that phrase is often tossed out as a "reason or excuse". CDing is not against the law. No reason or excuse is needed is it? I sure hope no one here thinks they could even come close to guessing accurately the number of men who actually CD? Maybe it's just mantyhose during the winter months or full time underdressing. In the grand scheme of things, does the actual # even matter?

1) I was about 13 years old and it was a early age and I feel that I was born this way
    2) and 3) see 1)

1] When did you first CD and if it was "at a very early age" is that part of the reason maybe?
    Just a fascination for dressing up and finding an alternate persona.

I was also a prince who drove a train. when I was about eight or nine.
    God knows where I drove it to!

2] Are there folks who started much later - perhaps in their teens even - who also feel they were born this way?
    Not applicable to me.

Q1 answers that.

4] What are the odds that many young kids, both boys and girls, tried on their parents or siblings clothes?
    I would say it is a regular occurrence.
    Part of the regimen of dressup.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

One of my very first memories are of CDing ..I believe it could be at least part of the reason..

My CDing was in spurts up until recently has never been a steady part of my life..

I really have no reason to think I was born this way.. I do not dress to fill a void in my bio gender... I do not believe people are born with a fetish for certain material and clothing....

I consider myself "average" and if I have done it I would say the odds are pretty high 1 in 3 maybe..

" CDing is not against the law."

No it's perfectly legal but lets try to understand what type of CDing is " legal "..Mine would be under dressing or in private, other than that it's against law..
    Last edited by Lucy_Bella; 12-22-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Aspiring Member
    My theory is that cross-dressing is a form of synesthesia. When you are an infant your brain is going through a critical period where neural connections are being made at a rapid pace. In fact your brain has the most neural connections when you are 12 months old. Then you go through a learning process where connections are reinforced or pruned. There is a second critical period of synaptogenesis when you hit puberty - more neural connections are made and then pruned through the learning process. I understand that about 75% of cross-dressers have their first experience in early childhood, and about 25% of cross-dressers have their first experience in puberty/early adulthood.

In this sense the vast majority of cross-dressers are just normal, healthy, heterosexual males with one extra connection hardwired in their brains. This extra connection means that one sensory pathway (feel of feminine clothes) produces an automatic, involuntary, response in a secondary sensory pathway which causes the release of dopamine and other neurotransmitters which produce the sensations of well-being, pleasure, sexual gratification and bonding.

There is a whole spectrum of sensations a cross-dresser can feel. It would be interesting to conduct a survey to determine which sensations are the most common. However, I believe that the majority of cross-dressers do NOT believe they were born in "wrong body". My guess is that the most common sensations from cross-dressing is that of being contact with an actual female.

I was "born this way" but managed to suppress it very well.

The interest was there, I experimented a bit now and then with individual feminine items, but never put it all together until I was in my '50s.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I agree Wild,
    While Confucius may have something in the theory of early months/years development, for those of us afflicted/ blessed at an early age (my memory says somewhere around 6-7 years old when I remember doing stuff - it may easily have happened before), we might just as well have been born with it. What I don't understand, Confucius, is why this neural pathway is just the feel of feminine clothes - couldn't it as easily be: a rough woollen blanket? a wicker basket? a vinyl floor? Why aren't there equivalent groups who are just as switched on to other tactile triggers?
    Kateyx
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I didn't know the difference between boys and girls until someone pointed it out to me. When it was, I thought I'd rather be a girl. I doubt that gender identity is innate. But I do think that we have innate characteristics that may be congruent or incongruent with socially constructed notions of gender. I just never felt the way I thought a boy should feel. That led to a lot of confusion. But I've mostly made peace with the idea that my gender doesn't have to "match" my sex.

1) I started in my 20's not exactly sure when, however I did discover the lingerie section in catalogs when I was around 8, and in my teens women dressed in lingerie excited me more than naked ones.
    2) Can't say I feel I was born this way....... but again why else do I dress?
    3) See above
    4) I did try on my mom's clothing but didn't feel like I was a crossdresser.

Started wearing women's clothes (a single item) at about 3rd grade - so about 8 yrs old.

N/A

No - I firmly believe that I born this way.

Yes

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    I started wearing bras at eleven, needed to wear one as I was developing. I can't say that I was born this way, but this is definitely who I am.

Very simply I had to have been born this way. At 5 or 6 years old is to young to make rational well thought out decisions.

At that age with my parents while they were shopping, I would be looking at girls shoes wishing I could wear them instead of boys shoes. That came from deep inside me and no where else.

I started at about age 5. I would slip on my mothers bras and panties, usually overtop my boy clothes, and go off to my room and play.
    Stephanie

My mother wanted a daughter and I found out recently (she is long gone) that she dressed me as a girl when I was too young to know the difference. She also used me as a model for dresses she sewed for her nieces (at about age 5) and I remember that.

I wasn't "born this way", in the womb we know nothing about gender, sex, or clothing. These are things we learn from others once we enter the world.

If I had to guess why I crossdress, my guess would be that it's some subconscious desire to be the daughter my mother really wanted. On a conscious level, I wouldn't do that.
    Last edited by linda allen; 12-23-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Platinum Member
    As I noted in another recent thread, it's been demonstrated that what we call memory is an amalgam of what actually happened and filler applied by the brain to create a more complete mental image. These recollections are, by themselves, incredibly unreliable representations of the past. My own recollections of feeling different at an early age are snippets of emotions and images. The message as I recall it, confirmed to some extent by family members, was of feeling different even at the age of three....and learning to suppress or hide the behaviors that attracted unwanted attention.

Hardly solid proof.... These early recollections and the implication of developmental origins are in themselves speculation really and nothing more.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

1. Started at an early age. Maybe earlier than I can recall?
    2. N/A 3. N/A
    4. Who knows? No one. It's a matter of curiosity. The thought enters the mind for some boys somehow. Do some boys have the curious thought but decide not to act on it? Maybe the thought never occurs to other boys?

I've never used the expression "I was born this way", but maybe I was. There's no scientific proof either way. I believe I was influenced by my older sister to try on girl's clothes.
    Why? There's a good chance that my mom or older sister dressed me in a few female garments. OK, imagine a 3 year old boy in his 6 year old sister's bedroom. Girls like to dress up dolls, why not dress up the baby? I believe repressed memories come out later on and the curiosity comes back. Why did I have to know what it would feel like to try on a dress at age 12?

It's interesting to ponder, but I don't know if I was born this way or if the cause is rooted in early childhood events.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    My CD beginnings started prob early teens did very little actual dressing much before my late teens.
    I've been up and down about this choice I made for a long time.
    What I have accepted is I don't know how to stop these feelings of enjoying the look and feel of womens attire so Ive tried to just live with it.
    Now I think for everyone we are all born male and female and those who feel that their genitalia don't match their thoughts is always confused me. Just as my thoughts on the clothing choices I make has.
    You may choose to match yourselves at some point thru surgery and that still becomes a choice and I can imagine a very hard one.
    Every aspect of who we are here is difficult to deal with and it causes much grief and hardship for many, just read thru the threads.
    I for one will never believe I was born this way but for whatever reason I made choices to be comfortable with myself and how it made me feel.

I (think I) agree with LilSissyStevie on the innateness of gender identity and certain gender characteristics, that is: I don't think gender identities are innate, unlike certain gender characteristics (or rather biological sex characteristics). The need or desire to present myself as the opposite gender certainly wasn't innate. Perhaps there was something in me that made me more susceptible to it, that's hard to say.

So no, I started young, but I wouldn't say I was BORN a cross-dresser, but perhaps I was born with a susceptibility for a 'gender identity disorder'.

Born this way for sure. Grew up in a very rural part of Wi., corn fields and dairy farms.
    No outside influence that I can think of to create the need to crossdress. I started around
    the age of 7 or 8. Wearing moms bras and nylons. I remember my brother catching me wearing
    some nylons and immediately running to mom to tell her what I was up to.I heard her tell him that it was OK
    and that maybe I just wanted to know what it felt like to be a girl. Oh if she only knew where that would lead.
    Much love,
    Kristyn

I started dressing when I was about 13 but remember as far back as when I was about 4 playing with my mothers bra. I have to say that I was born this way because at a very young age I wondered if I would grow up looking like my mother.

Since most of us are pretty much closeted at a young age I'm sure that there are more like us out there than not. As far as little girls go. Remember that it's acceptable for GG's at any age to wear male clothing so I'm not sure that it's concidered crossdressing.

I started at about age 10 give or take. My DAD dressed I seen him one time in a slip. So I think I was born that way. I would try on family members things mom's aunt's and wrere ever I could. So yes I do think I wea born this way.
    Angie

The first time I actually tried on women's clothing I was 23. Until the age of 48, I probably tried on women's clothing maybe a dozen times total. A whole lot of suppression and denial going on. I first got the urge to when I was 17. Looking back I would say that I was born this way. I always had more feminine mannerisms and certain character traits, feelings, thoughts looking back before 17. I have tried just about everything over the course of 30 years to rid myself of it. I had a closer bond with my father than mother. No sisters, hardly any female contact to speak of that would make me feel more comfortable or whatever. I truly feel I was just born this way. Hard to think of anything that could have influenced me other than nature.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Im not really sure if i was born this way ?.But i do remember having a couple of dreams when i was very young about cding.This was way before i even crossdressed
    The first time i did was about 11 years of age it was a red dress that i never actually saw my mom wear after that i was hooked
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

1 - I remember trying on my mothers pantyhose when I was in my teens.
    2 - I did not put on womens clothes again for many years due to many circumstances but I always remember associating with women things and feelings. This was very confusing to me as I was brought up in a very masculine family with 2 other brothers.
    3 - N/A
    4 - I think the odds are very high that young kids try on the clothes of the opposite gender
    One thing I can say is I have always struggled with these feelings. I have at last stopped fighting them and gave in to who & what I am. I'm much happier and finding new things about myself that in my opinion are good things. It seems when you try to be some one your not, that person is never real, I feel more real now than I ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    The title is often mentioned/expressed here at this Forum. 4 Qs.
    It's a popular title and a good question

I first started dressing when I was about 2, and was just one of the girls until I was 6. When they told me I HAD to play with the boys, it was really hard on me.
    I didn't play like a boy, I didn't fight back, so I usually got beat up pretty badly. It just wasn't in my nature.

I've known others who were like this. They had been very effeminate and many people assumed they were gay, or they WERE gay, and when they started later, they realized it fit who they were.

I had cousins who used to join me in my grandmother's cellar. We'd put on the dresses and parade around. Some really got into it and clearly wanted to be girls, but several thought it was a big joke, a bit of fun, and couldn't wait to get outside where they could wrestle and do their boy things. There were two tomboys as well who were more like the boys. Two of my cousins really wanted to be pretty and liked dressing up, but they committed suicide in their early teens - they were torn apart by fundamentalist parents, my grandfather, and other hard core "Christians".

Many of those who don't feel they were born this way view cross-dressing as "an expensive hobby", like collecting coins or flying a private plane.

The practice is probably very common. For many, it's not a significant experience, and it is just a fun thing to do when it's raining outside or there's nothing better to do.
    Those who are transgender

No doubt about it, Many here were born into the "wrong body". But for others, it looks like that phrase is often tossed out as a "reason or excuse". CDing is not against the law. No reason or excuse is needed is it?
    Many of us are transgendered, and just looking for where we are on the scale. There is the struggle to retain the comfortable and familiar which pulls us to lower levels, while fantasies and "magic wand" desire may be much higher levels. The lowest level - a one on the transgender scale isn't even considered a cross-dresser but rather a fetish dresser, someone who just like wearing certain items and usually only for sexual pleasure. The highest level, the level 6 is a transsexual who is likely to mutilate themselves, harm themselves, or commit suicide unless they transition.

However, I have heard of many men on the lower levels, people who are one or two on the scale, who consider themselves very masculine and have no desire to switch sexes. For them, the desire is to have the same freedom to wear certain items such as under-dressing, the way women have freedom of choice. Not all women who wear pants want to be men, and not all men who want to wear silky panties want to be women.

I sure hope no one here thinks they could even come close to guessing accurately the number of men who actually CD? Maybe it's just mantyhose during the winter months or full time underdressing. In the grand scheme of things, does the actual # even matter?
    It depends on how you define and what you define. According to some studies by the Kinsey Institute, Masters & Johnson Institute, and Benjamin institute, those who participate in transgender behavior somewhere between 2 and 6 on the scale is actually quite significant, as high as 75% have worn at least a few items of female clothing, and enjoyed it. The count for those who are type 5 or type 6 is much smaller, possibly as low as 1 in 30, and fewer than 3 per thousand actually seek full transition.

The challenge comes in what you are counting and how you are counting it.

If you ask "Are you transsexual" you will get a very small number of yes answers.
    On the other hand, if you ask "Have you ever worn clothing made for the opposite sex" the number would be MUCH higher.
    The key is that MOST men who have worn one or more articles of clothing probably don't consider themselves cross-dressers or anywhere on the transgender scale.

http://health.blurtit.com/1362272/wh...womens-panties

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...T-Apr-2011.pdf

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_p...re_transgender
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success