Thread: I went to the hospital (AND NOTHING HAPPENED)

Aspiring Member

I went to the hospital (AND NOTHING HAPPENED)

Hi All

I just thought I’d share my adventure with all of my friends from this site, I’ve been shaving my body for awhile, but I knew in advance that I had an extensive examination coming up on the 23rd of December. I decided to stop shaving in about October, expecting everything to look normal by yesterday. Problem solved? No Way!

I made a new friend on this site a few days ago, and she struck me as a very practical & down to earth woman. She’d had some heart problems awhile back, and also spent some time in the hospital; She however not only kept her body shaved, but wore plain white panties. She told me in a note that there were no problems or hassles of any kind.

Well thinking that all large hospitals were probably similar I decided to change my “plan”… Out came the “Nair” and down the drain went my hair. After a moisturizing treatment my body was smooth as a babies (well you know) Man was I nervous.

While dressing yesterday, I decided to go my new friend one better. And painted my toe nails bright red. As I pulled a pair of plain white panties I was second-guessing my plans and schemes.

Well to say the examination went great would be an understatement!! I arrived at the hospital at 7:15 am, and finished around 2:00pm. Only 2 technicians had the opportunity to see my panties & shaved body. Neither commented (nor showed any surprise) and I never took my socks off, so my nails weren’t exposed all day.

I was in a thoughtful mood on the hours drive home and was mulling over my experiences of the day. I wondered if we all don’t live in a prison of our own making….I mean, I was worried sick about my day yesterday, but the other players in my little drama couldn’t have cared less. Well as you all can probably guess I’m already thinking about “Pushing the Envelope” in the future.

Anyway thanks to Michelle for giving me the idea, and thanks to the rest of you for your support.

Danielle

Platinum Member
    We do indeed live within self inflicted confinement. Sometimes it's a sanctuary as well. But when we are ready to emerge the world is far more welcoming than we imagine.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

We do live in a prison of our own making I found this out as I started to shop for girl things and nothing happened then I went out dresses as a girl and nothing happened, and then I went to makeup counters as a girl and nothing happened, and then I went to a professional seminar and nothing happened, I keep telling newbies, you have nothing to fear get out there and grow as a woman and before you know you are doing just great and you wonder what the heck was I so afraid and stressed about for all those years!!!!!!!!

Aspiring Member
    Very wise words Paula ... I just wish I was a better example to the younger members. Waiting till one is almost 64 is kind of slow progress!

Won't bore you with the details, but, in similar circumstances, I once had a medical tech tell me that "You worry too much about what other people think."
    I believe we make much more of our dressing and the public reaction than the public does.
    Most people are way to busy with their own stuff to worry too much about what we wear.

Got ran over by a car one day, tossed me up over the hood, slight concussion and a sprained ankle, got to go for an ambulance ride, only time in my life I have been in one. I was OK, but I had the prettiest red polish on my toes, the only reaction I got was an X-ray tech in his early thirties told me he thought the color was cute.
    I did see a couple of candy striper's looking my way and whispering and giggling, but they where across the room, and didn't say anything to me.
    seems the only one it bothered was me, and two teenage girls.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Summer 2012, I had cataract surgery, two separate operations performed at two separate locations. I wore sandals and my toes were polished a nice poppy-pink for both occasions. Nurses, Orderlies, Surgeon, Anesthesiologist, and who knows who else saw my toes and not one comment, sort of a disappointment. Nothing was said before while I was being prepped, nothing was said afterwards during recovery, and nothing was said during the operation, I was conscious and fully aware of what was being said in the OR – sort of wish I hadn’t been conscious, I would have preferred to miss that particular experience.

Had numerous Doctor visits, lab visits, and various visits with technicians performing various eye mapping procedures and only one comment. An older technician noticed my toes and said “Looks like you are a Grandfather of girls too.” I am and I simply answered “yep, two of my grandkids, both girls, live with me.”
    Babs

Danielle,
    They were more interested in the malady you might have than what you put on your body.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I know many people in the medical profession, and have heard a common comment with the odd variation. "Been there, done that, seen it all", and there is really nothing new under the sun.
    Paula_56 says it best, "We do live in a prison of our own making". I found that if I walk into the womens wear section of a store, with an air of confidence, like I belong there, then I never have a problem!
    Tina B. also says, "seems the only one it bothered was me, and two teenage girls." If there is ever any group that you may have to watch yourself around it is teenagers. Teenagers can and do open their mouths without thinking, they can and do say stupid things.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I fell off a roof approx 5 years ago. I spent the day in the ER. My toenails were painted. Nobody cares. Period. Our greatest enemy is our fear. Once you get over being self- conscious there will be no untold looks or stares.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

we truly are the one's that limit our self's not many people really care what we are wearing if we try and present as the gender we are dressing in we get little are know attention as we go about our activities, I know many girls that go out as boy or girl any time they want , just use good judgment as to where you go and what you do

wishing every one a happy holiday season

Susie

It is all about how you respond....head held low in shame or held up high and proud.
    Chickie

I agree, we often put ourselves into our own little prison, and build up anxiety where there really shouldn't be any. I have worn lace panties to my Dr, and my body has been smooth now for 2 years. They are professionals, and are concerned with what they are treating, not what your wearing, or grooming habits, unless they effect your condition. Keep pushing the envelope, you will become more comfortable as you do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

A while ago I had to do a couple of months of therapy for a neck and shoulder problem. Never gave any thought about my pink toe nails until out of the blue the therapist asked me to remove my socks so that she could check out my feet. I didn't really have time enough to get nervous or think up a good explanation, but nothing happened and nothing was ever said, so I guess it really isn't that big a deal after all.

Similar but with response - had to have a physicial with EKG and for some reason they wanted sensors on my ankles - lying there on the table my pink toes on full display - the nurse says "someone needs a pedicure" as my toes hadn't been done in several weeks and were looking ratty...thats it -

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    Danielle, So happy that everything went well, no embarressment and life lesson learned. I trust the medical part of the exams all were satisfactory as well. I do hope life is going well for you my friend......Madilyn
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

I really think most of you in here have hit the nail on the head. We have grown up hiding our dressing and some of us all our lives. I feel like I'm still hiding somewhat and add in a tinge of guilt we are still afraid that we will not be accepted or ridiculed. Some feel that even if someone talks behind their back they bear a shame. I really believe that one day it won't matter what any one wears in public or private. Those with truly tough skins now could care less what any one else thinks or says about them. They are our fearless leaders and the ones that will bring the dressing out to be accepted. I was raised men need to look like men and women as women. This is tough when it is founded in your inner being very deeply. I applaud those who push the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    I fell off a roof approx 5 years ago. I spent the day in the ER. My toenails were painted. Nobody cares. Period. Our greatest enemy is our fear. Once you get over being self- conscious there will be no untold looks or stares.
    A number of years ago I had major surgery. As I was coming out of unconsciousness in the recovery room I must of said a few things. Word must of gotten around to the ward nurses because they had s---eating grins on their faces and one nurse in particular made comments about the 'dress' I was wearing and also a few other comments. Being from a not too large city the medical profession hasn't seen everything.

I spent 7 of 10 days in the hospital earlier this month. When they had controlled the pain the first thing I said was "I would prefer being called Lori." The nurse went to the white board and wrote "Lori" in comments and for the most part after that everyone addressed me as Lori. Of course I had shaved legs and other parts and other than the damn gown showing everything when I moved I was treated as Lori
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle Gee View Post
    I just wish I was a better example to the younger members. Waiting till one is almost 64 is kind of slow progress!
    You are a great example, all of you ladies are. I am 26, and have been fighting with myself for awhile about going out or being confident even underdressing. My therapist told me the same thing that we create these prisons in our mind and make these fantasies of everything going wrong. It doesn't have to be that way. You were very brave Danielle to bad no one got to see the nails
    "Understanding is the first step toward acceptance." Albus Dumbledore

Went in for an exam on the 6th, time for EKG nurse took one look at my shaved chest and said great you shave less for work me.

Parkford
    I had a similar experience a week or so ago. I have trouble with arthritis and was at the clinic the week before xmas. Mentioned the problem was beginning to affect my ankles and toes and the doc asked to have a look. Mentioned I was wearing tights his comment was that was sensible to keep joints warm. Popped behind the screen to whip them off and he then checked out for swelling etc. Only comment was that my gold varnish on my toes was nice and bright for xmas. Why do we worry?

The world doesn't end nor do they laugh or make fun of you when you visit hospitals as you might think!
    On the 10th of Dec. I was admitted to the hospital for a procedure! I was there for eight days then sent to rehab until the 27th of this month! I was dressed enfem the whole time! On the 24th a nurses aid redone my toe and fingernails for me! The whole time I was there I never got tired of being called Cynthia!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I also agree with most comments here, we give way to much importance to what people are saying and thinking about us. I am at a stage now that I am quite comfortable being myself in front of strangers but I still struggle with my appearance in front of people who has known me for a long time. I just got my whole body waxed 2 days ago and now I am stressing about the reactions of friends and family.
    Last edited by Sonya; 12-29-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Not to be the kill joy here, but I live in Georgia, I suspect the part of the country you are in has a great deal to do with your reception in public. That said, I am very glad to hear that not all parts of the country are as ignorant or prejudice, as I suspect the people where I live are.