Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missed Opportunities

Silver Member

Missed Opportunities

I was thinking about some missed opportunities about dressing or acquiring stuff.

In one case the divorcing tenant's wife had moved out and had left a couple of beautiful slips in a dresser. They looked like they belonged to a bridal set and were my size. I started to take them as it was obvious she was discarding them, but didn't.

Her husband showed up later that day and cleaned out everything. The slips were in the garbage covered with oil and paint. What a waste.

I saw the sexiest Black Stockings at a flea market...They were new and in a sealed package....and didn't want to cause attention.... OHHH how I miss those ... will be back in that town in January... I will go to that market and look for them...

I recently spent a day Christmas shopping in San Francisco, in drab. SO and her mom were along.
    Neither of them wear the style of clothing that I prefer. So naturally they walk right by any of the stores
    that I would go in to. Sadly, all I could do is some quick window shopping as we walked by, and think about what I was missing out on inside.

had a corset for a few days, gave it up as it didnt belong to me... I really should have made an offer, I love the corsetted feeling.

I was looking for a wrap around dress in a thrift store with my wife, I didn't find any and seen there were a lot of slips there. I couldn't believe they were in great condition and they just don't make them like that anymore. My wife told me to buy a few but I didn't want her to line up just for that and wanted to return and look for the dress the following week, well when we went back they were gone and the SA told us they cleared out a lot of the old stock to make room for new stuff. That was a missed opportunity. After kicking myself in the ass over that one on another occasion my boss brings old cloths from his house to use for rags, I needed a rag and when I reached in the bag and I felt something silky, it was a slip and there was another one there, and I know his wife and she always looks and dresses her best. Not to make a seen and pull the slip out I walked away and didn't want to get caught holding her slip, then I remembered my last lost opportunity and I walked back grabbed the slips like I was taking a rag out and put them in my coat pocket. I sill have them they are my favourite and I am glade I didn't lose that opportunity.
    Last edited by Maria 60; 12-27-2013 at 05:16 AM.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I was in the thrift store with my wife and on the rack was an authentic black Axeford corset with a price tag of $10.00. I quickly checked whether it fit and it did, perfectly. When I showed the wife I got the usual scowl of disapproval and put it back. When I returned the next day it was gone. Of course.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I recently found a beautiful classic VF nylon cami in a soft pink, lace at the bodice and ribbon straps in my size at a local thrift store. I was looking for a full slip at the time and i passed on the cami. Now I can't find anything that looks like that cami anywhere - ful retail stores or even online. Oh well. And only $4.00 too.

I missed many opportunities, but they were replaced by the opportunities that I took up.
    I replied to this question some time ago but for the life of me I have forgotten the situation for now.
    It was a doozy tho' if I remember.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    I was in the thrift store with my wife and on the rack was an authentic black Axeford corset with a price tag of $10.00. I quickly checked whether it fit and it did, perfectly. When I showed the wife I got the usual scowl of disapproval and put it back. When I returned the next day it was gone. Of course.
    This is when you have to cheat a little, stash the corset behind the rack so nobody else can find it then come back the next day to but it.

When I was younger I worked cleaning out forclosures, there was all kinds of stuff left behind. Cloths shoes lingerie you name it. And a lot of it was my size. I saw a lot of great stuff go in the dumpster. Until I came up with the idea that I would take all the cloths to good will after the job was done. Which I would do after I sorted through all the bags to get the stuff I wanted

I almost missed an opportunite I've storing a friends daughters things for a couple of years and decided to clean out a bunch old stuff from storage and asked the friend what to do with her daughters things she said throw them out. I didn't think anything would fit me because she seemed to be a lot smaller than me but when I went to sort clothes from books and things because I was going to donate the clothes I decided to try on some things some were to small but I ended up with a couple of nights that fit.

I do remember a few opportunities that I missed out on, but I know if they were strong enough to be considered "missed" completely. I do a lot of my shopping online, because Im plus size. I remember finding some dresses on Ebay that a seller had in my size, and I saved it to my wish list. But then I checked a month or so later, and they either sold out or didn't have my size anymore. That kinda sucked because I was seriously considering buying one of them. I think that's about the bigger misses I've had. Typically, I don't shop in stores for clothes, but I do shop for "one size fits all" type of things (non clothes-makeup, wigs, etc).

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have never missed an opportunity to grab something fem that I,ve wanted. I AM upset that the thrifts have increased their really nice wedding desses from about $50 to over $250!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've got to pop in again on this thread. I'm a big fan of nylon briefs - granny panties - and those with a little lace trim are best. i also like pastels. So just a few days ago, I went with my wife and daughter to a big outlet mall - Dress Barn, Hanes, Leggs. Bali, and Vanity fair. I wanted to shop so bad I could scream. But in the VF outlet, I saw a pair of pretty pink Cool Comfort briefs that I could have just put on right then and there. Perhaps VF is finally listening to requests for more colors. Not sure when I will get back to that store by myself but thos panties are now on my radar screen.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Launa View Post
    This is when you have to cheat a little, stash the corset behind the rack so nobody else can find it then come back the next day to but it.
    I know. Hmmm, sounds like a double missed opportunity!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

After missing out on a few things over the years, I have concluded that when opportunity knocks, make sure you're wearing your best bra and panties when you open the door, since it only knocks once.
    After searching my lingerie drawers, I have come to the conclusion that they lied. Ruffles don't have ridges. At least mine don't.

A few:
    - not getting / hoarding enough L'Oreal nail polish in "FROLIC" (112) Perle, a very light pink, almost off white, RGB:229,194,250; or HSL:196,216,222. the color was discontinued 10-15 years ago.

- awesome tights by ebay: ballet/dance style: high waist, nothing frilly, the tights got firmer at the just below the calf muscle. very durable. Only got one set of 6, but now i need more. Should have purchased 2 or 3 more!

Happens to me all the time. I once spotted a beautiful full skirt long ball gown at Goodwill. I even tried it on and showed the attractive sales girl there as I had told her I was a cd more than once. She thought it was beautiful. Alas it was $12 and I only had 6 on me. When I went back the next day --it was gone. Sigh.

Way back in college, they had an amateur drag night (mainly because how many guys dressed as girls at the Halloween party). Some girls asked if I wanted to do it, but I declined not wanting to seem to eager to go along with it. I was expecting them to egg me on and ask again, but they asked another guy and he agreed. Damn.

I'm very lucky in that my spouse often has a better eye for what I need then I do. Last summer I was shopping at a DSW and found a pair of 3" suede ankle boots. Seeing as how I already had three pairs of shoes picked out I felt that I had reached my limit. Mimi encouraged me to buy the boots, saying that if I didn't I'd be sorry for it for a long time. She was right. I bought the boots and they sat on the shoe rack for several months. This winter they have been my versatile go-to boots several times!

I call them "the ones that almost got away!"
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I was traveling, and I had gone to a thrift shop in New Orleans. I found this beautiful, slinky, heavily-beaded evening gown. I took it into the dressing room to try on. It seemed to fit, but I couldn't pull the zipper all the way up, not because it didn't fit, but because I couldn't reach it. I was afraid if I managed to zip it up all the way that I would be unable to unzip it, and get myself stuck in it. I actually considered going out of the dressing room and asking some randon lady if she would zip it up for me. But, I chickened out. I decided to pass, because in addition to the cost of the gown, I would have to ship it home, as I didn't have enough space in my suitcase.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Oh My God, It happened again, S.O. and her mom shopping, towing me along in drab.
    This time It's Carmel, Ca. SOME BODY JUST SHOOT ME NOW. If you have never been there you
    may not understand. No possible way for me to shop, even if I had the money, but a girl can
    window shop can't she?
    Happy sopping and Much Love to All,
    Kristyn

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    This one had me crying into my cornflakes this morning!
    I can't take any more of reading this thread I simply can't.

I discovered this a long time ago.

Men's clothing stays on the rack forever. You can see something nice, and go back and buy it whenever you want.

With women's clothing, if you don't buy it when you see it, it's gone.

Unfortunately, I haven't learned much from this observation. My list of missed opportunities is as long as your arm.

The time the wife sent me to take stuff to Goodwill. There were a few old bridesmaid dresses and panties. Next time