Thread: First time for me

First time for me

I went to the doctor's today for an MRI, and I'm filing out the usual paperwork: Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial, Date of Birth, Sex, etc.

When I got to sex part, there were 3 check boxes: [_] M [_] F and [_] T. That's right. Three choices. That's the first time I ever saw 3 choices.

Can you believe it. Sex isn't binary anymore. Well I checked "M", but then I decided to ask the receptionist what the "T" was to confirm my suspicions. Well, as you might have guessed, the "T" is for transexual.

What surprised me even more is that the receptionist was not "T" neutral; she seemed to be against it. She also told me that one guy had come in and asked was "T" was, and when he was told, got into a fit of rage about it and started cursing at the receptionist about it. That surprises me because I thought I lived in a pretty liberal area.

In any case, "Ts" now exist, and the receptionist said everyone will be converting. Isn't that great.

Mods

This post may belong under the TS section, but I thought it was important enough to post here
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Where do we go to sign up for conversion? LOL

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

That's sort of surprising considering Congress did NOT pass any kind of gender identity protection. Maybe it's a local thing and what the receptionist meant by "everyone will be converting" is that everyone will be converting "locally". Did she say anything about locally versus nationally?

Hopefully in the years to come those who need to mark the T box will have life made easier for them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Or perhaps you better answer M or F or you're T oast

Ineke

Well I guess if T ever hits my neck of the woods I may have to quit checking the F box???????????????
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Good for you Steffi I feel the same way as a crossdresser It is nice that other feel the same

This is just the medical community getting caught up with the rest of the world. A transsexual will have all kinds of other meds that go along with the transition that the doctor should know about. They are just trying to be more prepared for when they come in to see you.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    I think its time to change those forms. Like this

SEX - YES( ) NO( ) SOMETIMES( )

GENDER - M( ) F( ) T( ) NOT SURE/PLEASE HELP ME( )
    Erica

I have seen a few forms with a third option of 'other', but not T.
    T is not a good choice as an option, because it is a transitional state, and the person filling out the form may well be ticking F, (or M) next year or the year after. "Other' is more appropriate, for there are many who do not fit the two options used previously.

I believe the "T" is for transgender, not transsexual. When we talk LGBT, the "T" is transgender.

Jodi

Growing up in California there was always a T box or "other." In Texas I have only noticed it a few times mainly on some work forms since I work for a fed/state funded institution. I am taking a Gender theory and politics class this semester, and I know the class goes over the changes in how we look at gender, and how it is politically motivated. I think we are in a transition in our human history where acceptance of the "other" is becoming more of a reality.
    "Understanding is the first step toward acceptance." Albus Dumbledore

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Now, it,s only up to us to THINK of ourselves as trans. I haven,t worked thru that yet!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

For about a year now the red cross has been asking if you are the sex that you are dressed as.

Quote Originally Posted by Desirae View Post
    That's sort of surprising considering Congress did NOT pass any kind of gender identity protection. Maybe it's a local thing and what the receptionist meant by "everyone will be converting" is that everyone will be converting "locally". Did she say anything about locally versus nationally?
    She did not say. I had no plans to out myself, so I tried not to be overly informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda79135 View Post
    This is just the medical community getting caught up with the rest of the world. A transsexual will have all kinds of other meds that go along with the transition that the doctor should know about. They are just trying to be more prepared for when they come in to see you.
    An MtF TS may need some procedures that would throw the insurance company way off kilter. Like how about a mamogram and a PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen ??) Test?

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    I have seen a few forms with a third option of 'other', but not T.
    T is not a good choice as an option, because it is a transitional state, and the person filling out the form may well be ticking F, (or M) next year or the year after. "Other' is more appropriate, for there are many who do not fit the two options used previously.
    I'm not sure about MtF SRS, but I think you get to keep your prostate, but maybe not. An MtF may look like a girl from the outside, but not in an MRI. She may be missing the uterus and overies, for example, not that a GG couldn't have had them removed.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Read only
    I wonder if THEY have the magic pill. If they do, let me know; I want one.

I have to have an annual mammogram in about two weeks. I wonder if when I go I'll get the choice between (M) (F) or (T)?
    Last edited by BillieJoEllen; 01-06-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: one too many words

I guess if you're brave enough, just ignore the M and F and create your own T box to check!

Maybe they should do away with the boxes altogether and instead have a sliding scale, or even a 'lucky dip' option where the computer chooses one for you at random.

There are some differences on how we were born though that a doctor should know about.

But I don't see why you have to check one and not both.

Maybe it should be answered like:

M (60%) F (40%) T ( )

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    What surprised me even more is that the receptionist was not "T" neutral; she seemed to be against it. She also told me that one guy had come in and asked was "T" was, and when he was told, got into a fit of rage about it and started cursing at the receptionist about it. That surprises me because I thought I lived in a pretty liberal area.
    The first MRI didn't show any problems, so I got yo take 2 more MRIs of the neck and head to see what's going wrong with my legs.

Anyhow, same form, different receptionist, but she was also negative on the [T] choice. One step forward, two sreps back.