Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Im so tired of needing to always be a man"

"Im so tired of needing to always be a man"

In another thread, LeighR. said that her wife doesn't tolerate any evidence of dressing.
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...at-s-the-point

I wanted to focus in on one side point, but I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I started a new one. Hope that's okay.

She said she's tired of having to be the man, and I want to know more about what that might mean to cross-dressers in general.

What happens if you try to analyze or reject gendered activities separately from gendered clothes? We often have posts about "how to tell my wife that I wear women's clothing," but I can't remember any posts about any of the following topics:

"How to tell my wife that I want to quit my job."
    "How to tell my wife that I want to be able to express emotions."
    "How to tell my wife that I want to stop killing bugs and carrying heavy boxes for her."
    "How to tell my wife that I want to stop being responsible for doing the taxes, or maintaining the car, or ..."

I know that men often say they feel trapped by their gendered roles, feel they have to compete in an aggressive male world. But I want to know more about what that feels like, and why that aspect can't be addressed separately from the clothes issue.

Maybe I'm way off track, and the only aspect that men don't like about the male role is that they aren't allowed to feel pretty. If that's true, please let me know. I'm just trying to understand how much is about the clothes and how much is about the burden of other kinds of gendered expectations.

I doubt that there is a generic response to your questions because each response is based on the characteristics of the individual. Because there are many women that do all the things that you ask about, I would suggest that the issues in the questions are independent of cross dressing, unless the person doing the dressing is trying to reach a goal based on stereotypes. What does your SO say when asked these questions?

Hi Laura,

Yes, many women do all those things. But I'm just trying to understand what men mean when they say they're tired of having to act like men.

My husband gets tired of going to his high-powered job, and gets tired of being the person who maintains all the technology for our family. But in both cases, he doesn't actually want to give up control of those areas to me or anyone else. He just wants a vacation from time to time (whether an actual beach vacation, or a weekend playing video games, or an evening in a dress, or various other things). That made sense to me, and even if I'm not hugely enthusiastic about his dressing (or his video games), I can be understanding.
    Last edited by MatildaJ.; 01-03-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: cleaning up

Just because you're a guy doesn't diminish the fact that that you like to doll up, wear dresses and heels, and look pretty.

That's the burden of being a crossdresser, married or not.

First the reason you don't see those questions here is because they really are not related at all to transgenderism. They are life questions so to speak

Second, it is one of those things I think that you need to be in someone's shoes to really understand. This is because we all have a different perspective of how things are or should be. For example, I had an assumption recently that most women at sometime or another imagined what it was like to be the "man". That they would look at a guy and say "gee if I only could _______ like he does, just to try it." I was informed that this was a false assumption on my part. it is because I had the perspective that women had certain "things" they were allowed so to speak and men had other things. Like say standing to urinate (I will admit that I used to take that for granted). I know that gender stereotypes are wrong, that men can be say nurturing, just as well as a woman, but these things are so ingrained in society, we see them as "rights" the certain gender is endowed with. You use the killing bugs and lifting things example. Many people will agree that males should be the ones doing the heavy lifting in the relationship while the woman stands back and watches (now don't get all angry, this is how society has stated it should be, not how it is). Of course this has evolved because males do have a greater muscle mass in many areas. Not always true, I am a weakling when it comes to power. But if something needed to be moved, it was the men who either took it upon themselves or were asked to do it.

So when someone here says they are tired of being the "man" I can see where they are coming from. They want the ability to wear something they think is sexy (again perspective, because men think sexual dress is sexy whereas a woman may think a color or style is sexy). Unfortunately this does lead to men dressing in shall we say, overtly over sexualized styles. Things that men and women may associate with sex. Garters for instance. And when a man dresses like that the woman looks at it not as dressing sexy but dressing for sexual purposes. This is really hard to explain even when some of us have been on the other side of the coin for a while.

But women have their stereotypes too. Often here we hear about a SO who wants a hairy man, a gruff man, a man who smells of sweat, who shows what women have been told a man should appear. You were bombarded with it while you were growing up...even when it was used for things associated with women, i.e. Brawny towels (flannel shirt and biceps), Mr Clean "bald and biceps). It is why some women are attracted to the bad boy image (bikes and drinking and fights) instead of the guy who works in an office and doesn't do anything even remotely dangerous. Personally, I think having a TG spouse would be an advantage because they are less likely to do the bad boy things that are not wanted. A Tg spouse maybe more likely to sympathize with you;show emotions; like your design idea...or even see your point of view.

So it isn't that the men here want to give up alll the things that come with being male (size, strength, sexuality as such) but they would also like to enjoy and partake in what they see as things women "get" to do. Look soft, act sexy, feel less in control.

Yes we all know these things are not the realm of one sex over the other but admit it, as a woman (or for the men who read this) there are certain expectations that each gender is expected to meet. Some we enjoy some we don't (it's a rough life, suck it up and do what you are supposed to do). If a man could see it from a woman's perspective, he may not see CDing as a fun activity when he has to live up to certain stereotypes. And if we could, somehow, let the women see what we see, maybe they would be less condemning of it. Breaking away from the sexual aspects and seeing that not all or even many of the TGs, at least here, don't dress for sexual reasons. They dress to express who they are, how they feel.

But we both have our ingrained ideas of what the other is...or should be. I know that I have not in anyway cleared up your question but maybe if you could just see that it is a perspective issue and that if you and your SO could actually see how the other sees TGism it would make it at least a little clearer.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Just call me Amanda GirlieAmanda's Avatar
    With my partner I am still the one who fixes the cars, lifts heavy stuff, opens jars, etc. but I enjoy being strong. I enjoy doing traditionally masculine stuff. It still makes me feel powerful and accomplished. I installed in-door car speakers and replaced many a headlight bulb even in her Prius which is a PAIN to do. My hands got all dirty and rough but I cleaned them up and they are fine. I got a few looks when the door panels were all over the place at our apartment parking lot. Just because you are a female doesn't mean you have to automatically turn into a "Helpless Hopeless" as my Mom used to say. This is the modern age, women need to be strong and capable.
    The phoenix has risen the old life is gone
    A new life to live has finally begun
    There is fun to be had and work to be done
    My beauty is radiant my freedom is won

Quote Originally Posted by JessM. View Post
    "How to tell my wife that I want to stop being responsible for doing the taxes, or maintaining the car, or ..."
    I know some people (both men and women) who insist that it's the wife's job to handle the money and taxes, and that it's only natural.

I think gender roles are somewhat based on biology, but somewhat based on culture too. Perhaps in some cultures, it's the women who do the taxes. In others, the men do the taxes.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

This is just my view, but the way I see it, if a woman is having a hard go at life, she can always find a man that can take all the pressure off. (not necessarily monetary, since many women make more money these days) Men don't generally have that option. So no matter how bad your life is going, just man up and get over yourself. That is what I've been taught.
    Just an example, my two sisters are living the high life with entrepreneurial husbands, while my three brothers and I have pretty much struggled our entire lives.
    I am happy for my sisters, but just trying to make my point. And again this is all thru my jaded eyes. I know some will disagree.

Tina
    Last edited by Tina955; 01-03-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Certainly, if the wife already does the taxes, then her husband won't ask to get out of doing the taxes.

I am hoping to hear from men who sometimes feel they want a break from the male role, and find out what else that means to them, besides the clothes/sexiness aspect.

I didn't see your post, Tina, before I posted again. That's a good example: men sometimes wish they could rely on someone else to take care of them and make the decisions. Though maybe that desire comes and goes?
    Last edited by MatildaJ.; 01-03-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Banned Read only
    I'll start, although I'm trans so my answers may skew things a bit.

Man stuff I hated:
    1. Being expected to fix the car. You know what? I don't know anything about cars. I *hate* working on cars. But this was my deal. "because men do that"
    2. Always being the one to initiate sex, be in charge of our sex life. This was 100% of my responsibility in my relationship. "because I'm shy about it" (Sometimes I wanted to be the one getting screwed. Never happened.)
    3. Being the emotional bulwark everyone relied on. That is just exhausting. "you are so strong..."
    4. Being allowed to express almost NO emotion in any aspect of my life. "what, are you some type of sissy" (turns out - yes.)
    5. Listening to other dudes, who I did not understand, talk about ****ing sports. Endlessly.
    6. Never being allowed to change much - for 20 years, I was static and unchanging.
    7. The constant displays of macho needed to keep others from figuring out I was different.
    8. I hated receiving stuff for men as gifts. **** it - there wasn't a thing I wanted. I was impossible to buy gifts for, and at gift giving occasions, I expected disappointment.
    9. I hated feeling responsible for everything. I was the sole breadwinner in the family. If something happened to me, we were in real trouble. This was a LOT of pressure. I felt, as a man, I had no choice but to accept this role.

OK, that's a list of the stuff off the top of my head. I feel certain I could go on. I mostly tried to leave trans stuff out of it. I also know that I received great privilege in exchange for all this stuff I hated. If I hadn't hated it so much, and hated my body so much, well, I'd be a guy, because the tradeoffs are mostly worth it, unless you're transgendered.

Aspiring Member
    [QUOTE=JessM.;3395297]

"How to tell my wife that I want to stop killing bugs and carrying heavy boxes for her."

you probably won't find these questions here because they really seem to relate to being an adult, rather than a cross-dresser. There are men and women who never marry or perhaps never have a partner, yet these tasks are all part of life, and being an adult. We have to work, like it or not. Perhaps you meant "my husband wants to quit his mining job and become a seamstress"? That would be a possibility here because of the general gender connection. Men are also in the fashion world, but as a guy going into the fabric store, I can tell I'm intruding no matter what I buy.
    Men aren't -generally- brought up to express a lot of emotion. My father never really showed much but at some point in life he was in love with my mother and I'm certain at that point he did show emotion. It's an "acceptable" time to do so, but after, one had better get back to "being a man".
    Some boys don't like bugs, and that would carry over as an adult, and while they feel they have to "man up" and do it, they might just rather not. I'm not squeamish, but prefer not to kill anything, bugs included, and more so, since they have a function on this planet other than being the object of the pest control guy who brings the profits for the likes of Monsanto.
    And finally, taxes, car maintenance, etc CAN be very streesful, especially if one is not good at it, and all men are not created equal in that regard. Some guys can rebuild a car blindfolded and some can't find the spare tire. When one is expected because of gender, then that is where the pressure is. The same for women whose male half wants them to "be sexy" all the time. It is a pressure that people--men and women--don't need. Too often we fail to explain that to our partners and wind up in the gutter.
    Gender in general is a problem because it tends to lock us in pretty hard and fast in roles that we may not want or appreciate. Expectations from others --learned from parents--must often be met, but with great consequences on the part of the person who is expected to "perform" whatever. I can do just about anything, my brother is brainy but clutzy, yet the expectations about our ability "to do" is equal.
    Men are expected to dress conservatively, women more flamboyant--if they wish. We have turned general dress into absolutes rather than "our costume for the day" It is, after all, just a costume, and we are the players. Haven't you ever asked yourself, what do I want to look like today? When I was young and out to impress, my dress role models were Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire and even Nick Charles---but never ASTA. Now, It's Amandas, no-panty-line underwear, camis and bras (I have gynecomastia), and I'm not out to impress.
    It was a good question and though I haven't logged on in ages, I thought it worth doing just to add another point of view.
    take care
    Last edited by busker; 01-03-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    JUST a crossdresser

Wow Paula, that was dead on. Couldn't have said it better. I am so tired of putting up fronts to not show my true self.
    I do think, had my life gone a different direction instead of getting married and having two children, I probably would have considered transitioning. My wife passed 4 years ago, and even tho my kids are adults, I don't want them to feel like they are losing dad too. I am now a frustrated crossdresser, because I want more than just the clothes.

Tina

Well, I do understand what you're saying. I too am sick to death of being a man, in terms of the ideas that I labored under for most of my life believing were necessary to being masculine. In fact I never did act much like the stereotype of manliness that I thought I had to maintain. I was always pretty queer and, really, nobody treated me like I was some masculine hunk. What I discovered was that this was really entirely up to me. Nobody actually had the ability to force me to be masculine. I gave them that power. It was never theirs. My gender identity was always mine. I did not have to do what I, in my confused view, thought was masculine. Nobody was telling me I had to be this or that. I was telling myself what manliness was, based on cues from my childhood and the general society. All I had to do was recognize that and understand I really could do whatever I wanted. Of course there are consequences to all of our actions, non-conforming or not, but they're rarely as bad as what we imagine. In fact, these days, society in the West is so much more tolerant of gender deviance that it's historically unprecedented. If you don't want to be what you think is masculine, don't be. Find out who you want to be, and try to be that, rather than what you think other people want you to be. They actually probably don't care as much as you think they do. Life, especially for someone trying to discover their true identity, gender, or otherwise, is an adventure of self-discovery. Don't freeze yourself in place with fear and anxiety. Enjoy the adventure!

Oops, I should have read your signature. I assumed you were a man complaining about gender expectations, not a GG/ So to a CD, so you'll have to take my comments as if I was talking to the man who was making these complaints. Sorry!
    Last edited by Lorileah; 01-03-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: merged posts. Please use the edit button . Saves sapce :)

In another thread, LeighR. said that her wife doesn't tolerate any evidence of dressing.
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...at-s-the-point
    She said she's tired of having to be the man, and I want to know more about what that might mean to cross-dressers in general.
    Some women are attracted to cross-dressers and transgenders because they WANT to be the man. My step-daughter's reaction when her mother showed her a picture of me as Debbie was "Well mom, at least you won't have to worry about shattering his male ego when you take charge". She was correct about that.

When I proposed to my wife, she said "OK, but I'm in charge of it". My response was "I wouldn't have it any other way". We are a very happy couple.

What happens if you try to analyze or reject gendered activities separately from gendered clothes? We often have posts about "how to tell my wife that I wear women's clothing," but I can't remember any posts about any of the following topics:
    This is one of the key distinctions between cross-dressers and transsexuals. Cross-dressers are often ONLY interested in wearing women's clothes, and often only for sexual gratification. They enjoy being men in other areas of their life and can even be a bit sexist and vested in their manhood. These are Level 1 and 2 on the transgender scale.

Transsexuals on the other hand are acutely aware of masculine and feminine roles and struggle with it almost from the time they start grade school, some even begin to experience it as soon as they start trying to play with boys and girls their own age.

In grade school, boys will bully a "Sissy" but not just with names. Often, the label makes an effeminate boy a target for cruel beatings, torture, terror, and being attacked on a regular basis. Making the problem even worse is that true transsexuals don't have the brain structure to fight back. Their feminine nature is hormonal, starting during the first 6-12 weeks of pregnancy. Scientists have discovered a gene that prevents these boys from processing the testosterone their bodies produced during those formative months. The brain's "fight or flight" instinct is smaller, more typical of a mother who would nurture her baby and need the cooperation of other men and women in the community to survive. They have more "White matter" which makes them calmer and more placid. When attacked, their instinctive reaction is to cry.

The brutality is systemic. Because the boy doesn't fight back, and cries, teacher and even parents will tell him "Boys don't cry" or "Keep crying like a girl and I'll give you something to cry about". They begin to hate not only the labels, but also the sexism implied, that somehow women are not worth of respect. Boys aren't allowed to hit girls, but they are often ENCOURAGED to beat the crap out of cute little sissy boys.

The pressure to become the breadwinner is intense. Unable to compete in sports, to be a protector, or to be a muscled stud, many transsexuals turn to intellectual pursuits, becoming "nerds" or "egg-heads". In my own case, I hated most books about boys, and books about girls made me sad because I couldn't be a girl, even though I wanted to be. My recourse was to non-fiction. I could learn how things worked. I learned about cooking and sewing, but I also learned about radio, electricity, and photography. I knew that since I had to be a man, I would have to learn things that would make it possible for me to make money without having to be strong or tough.

I even went to a college known for grooming the wives of Air Force officers. Many girls were out for their MRS degree marrying a man who wanted a good wife and mother. There were a few women at the Academy at the time, but they didn't want a MAN who would be a good wife and mother. Some of them were looking for other officers.

As transgenders, we learn that expressing emotions is DANGEROUS! If someone hits you and you start to cry, all of the other boys will start to hit you too. Athletic coaches would tell the boys they weren't allowed to cry, and boys who cried were often attacked by the entire team. There is little more terrifying than having someone on your soccer team trip you, then having all of the boys on BOTH teams kicking your head back, stomach, and legs like YOU WERE THE BALL! All while the gym teacher looks on and SMILES!

Many transgenders don't have well developed muscles. We may be tall and slender because of a massive spurt of testosterone during puberty, but we never became body builders, worked out, or tried to win fights. We'll carry the boxes because it needs to be done, but we might have to lift them carefully, use a dolly or hand truck, or even take it a step at a time up the stairs. A muscled masculine man who wanted to be big, strong, and tough would be able to carry his weight in boxes up the stairs without hesitation - but he would probably expect something in return for the favor. A transgender man wouldn't demand to be rewarded with sexual favors for such a simple act.

As a transgender, I actually DID find it quite easy to let my wife (both of them actually) manage the finances and pay the taxes. I learned to fix my Rambler American because I could buy it for $25 and fix it myself, but once I could afford to have my cars fixed by a mechanic, and could afford Triple-A, I didn't even try to change my own oil. I did buy a trike and fix it up, but even then I wanted to be the bitch on the bike. There was even one lady biker who I knew was bi. I'd have easily let her do whatever she wanted with me to be her bitch. She knew I wanted it, but never offered.

I know that men often say they feel trapped by their gendered roles, feel they have to compete in an aggressive male world. But I want to know more about what that feels like, and why that aspect can't be addressed separately from the clothes issue.
    Look at the name most frequently used in books where a transgendered male is feminized. They are called "Sissy" stories. Women don't seem to understand how incredibly heavily loaded that word is for a transgender male who has been terrorized for over a decade at an impressionable age. Being called a "Sissy" might even make him wince at the flashbacks. They may eventually learn to embrace the term, but only after careful support from an attractive woman who wants to give him the lifelong dream of being able to dress, walk, and talk and live like a girl.

Very often, effeminate men are mistakenly perceived as being gay. The irony of this is that after being tormented by boys all her life, the last thing a girl trapped in a boy's body would want is to be further attacked sexually by the same kinds of boys who bullied her as a child. Often, it isn't until we are living full time as women that transsexuals get the experience of men being nice, polite, courteous, even sweet and romantic to us. I do admit to getting a bit of a thrill when a man my age starts trying to flirt with me because he thinks I'm pretty.

Maybe I'm way off track, and the only aspect that men don't like about the male role is that they aren't allowed to feel pretty. If that's true, please let me know. I'm just trying to understand how much is about the clothes and how much is about the burden of other kinds of gendered expectations.
    You're not wrong, but many transgender males don't want to talk about this kind of pain. I've written about it in my book "Debbie's Secret Life", but there are very few books about it. Katie Leone talks about it in "Wrestling with Myself" and in "Finding Jenny", but even this is from the perspective of transsexual who is living as a girl and being persecuted for it.

Stories of such prolonged terror and trauma don't sell very well. Those of us who have transformed ourselves and come to terms with those traumas, put the past in the past, and moved on with our lives. Writing about those awful days brings back pain that is often best left in the past, where it belongs. I only wrote these things in my book in hopes of helping others understand the experience of life for a boy who had to live in "Stealth Mode".

If you wish to personal message me I can give you details about getting the book.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Quote Originally Posted by devida View Post
    I did not have to do what I, in my confused view, thought was masculine. Nobody was telling me I had to be this or that. I was telling myself what manliness was, based on cues from my childhood and the general society. All I had to do was recognize that and understand I really could do whatever I wanted. Of course there are consequences to all of our actions, non-conforming or not, but they're rarely as bad as what we imagine.
    I am a GG, but this is exactly how I feel about gender roles. I don't feel comfortable with all parts of the women's role in our society, and I understand my husband not wanting all the male roles. Not every wife will feel like I do -- PaulaQ has suggested that her wife would never have let her give up some of those responsibilities (for the car, for initiating sex, for putting on a macho exterior, for earning a high salary, etc.).

But I think many women would be able to be more flexible, and could discuss how to arrange the marriage so that each person is only doing tasks they feel okay about (and maybe outsourcing the rest to other people, or figuring out how to do without).

Banned Read only
    But I think many women would be able to be more flexible, and could discuss how to arrange the marriage so that each person is only doing tasks they feel okay about (and maybe outsourcing the rest to other people, or figuring out how to do without).
    I think you are correct Jess. Society doesn't make this stuff very easy to negotiate.
    Women: "Congrats, you are empowered now! The equal of any man! Just don't stop doing all the stuff you used to be responsible for while you go to work now. (Erm, and don't compare your paycheck to anyone else's. It's against company policy, for ... reasons.)
    Men: "You need to be sensitive, and willing to help out your spouse! And work 80 hours per week!"

Message to both: "don't vary too far from the roles you used to have - just do a whole bunch of extra outside the home work, because you are empowered now. Oh, if you fail to live up to any part of this stuff, we will really, really judge you! Oh, and we won't give you any vocabulary to even let you discuss this without getting defensive. Enjoy your freedom to be yourself!"

edit: While I acknowledge that both sides got screwed in this deal, I still maintain women got the worst end of the deal. They pay a tax for having a uterus, even if they NEVER intend to have children, and work as many hours as a man. And god forbid they actually try to be professionals AND moms. The men in corporate have no patience for that shit.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 01-03-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Jess,
    The four points that you raise, always helps me to want to be a protector and lover of my other half in life.
    My wife.

Trapped in a gender role, never.
    If someone else wants to be Adolf Hitler, I will cut him down when the time comes.

I really think some are trapped into thinking they have to exhude "woman" all the time.

Me, I certainly wear the pants in my family.....

Sometimes.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Smile Prefer The Feminine

My father and I had some testy moments. He thought I should be more aggressive because it's a dog-eat-dog world. I chose to handle things in a quiet and unassuming way. Toward the end of his life, I earned his respect.

Subconsciously,it's projected that we have to uphold the male species. This is tiring emotionally because living life can be hard enough. I enjoy male activities (electronics, repairing things, etc.) but I prefer the feminine.
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

I know, that some of us live lives of quiet desperation, as Thoreau wrote. I , at 56, was forced to have to return to my foul family of origin. My dad is now 93, full of sexual issues, and he had some sexual issues with me, but expected, but worhipped his harsh father, and still expects his adult kids to "worship him" the tyrant. It has brought many painful personal issues up, that i though i was done with. I am going through childhood anguish all over again. Gender issues, and roles, deep painful emotional stuff, about m y manhood, and fem side which i must hide, and expectations from my dad, and brother, and sister, all who are without mates. It never ends for some of us. The conflict wihin.

This was one of my driving points behind my current thread "Would you miss it? " As far as feeling pretty, I allow myself to. Things you mention are necessary things that need to be done, regardless of gender.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    Many of us refer to being forced into stereotypical roles based on nothing but gender stereotypes. In most workplaces, if you don't live your life according to the stereotypes you can and will be fired for it.
    Last edited by vetobob9; 01-04-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: quote removed, no need for it

At the point we are in the world now, I don't think there are any 100% male activities or 100% female activities. For every man that enjoys working on cars, I can show you another (at least) who doesn't. Not everyone is handy at doing things around the house. What about knitting? That used to be about a 100% female activity. Then along comes Rosie Greer. Remember him? My ex was terrible with money and the checkbook. She'd buy anything at any time. I took care of the money. Did I like taking care of the money? Heck no. Why? It's not because I minded taking care of the money and checkbook. It's because it was just another thing I had to do which took time away from other things that I enjoyed doing. I don't like cutting the grass, either, but I've always done it. Now, being single, I have to do EVERYTHING myself like dishes, and laundry, and grocery shopping, and snow shoveling, and lawn mowing, and balancing the checkbook, and cleaning the house, and working on the car, and repairing the house, etc. Who wouldn't want a break from having to do all that all the time? Frankly, I think females think the same way. Isn't that why people hire babysitters, to get away for a while? To get a break from it all? It has nothing to do with "feeling pretty" or needing to CD. That's just one form of escape. No different than a hobby in some respects, at least for some. Some other person's escape could be going to a ball game.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    I know some people (both men and women) who insist that it's the wife's job to handle the money and taxes, and that it's only natural.

I think gender roles are somewhat based on biology, but somewhat based on culture too. Perhaps in some cultures, it's the women who do the taxes. In others, the men do the taxes.
    Actually modern roles such who runs the money and does taxes is based purely on bigotry within the culture and has absolutely nothing to do with biology or genetics.

Banned Read only
    "Crossdressers in general" aren't going to be able to answer this question. Why? Because, the more you know about us as a group, the more you are going to realize that we are the most divergent "group" in the world. Probably the only thing we have truly in common is that fact that we wear women's clothes. So many of us who have been "at this" for a long time face an entirely different challenge than the current generation of dressers who are facing a more tolerant society.

We are married, single, divorced, widowed, young, old, tall, short, leggy, slim, fat. . .and on and on. So, those of us, including me, who say they are tired of always having to be a man, come to that conclusion for thousands of different reasons. For me, crossdressing DID begin as a sexual exercise, a fetish if you will, because at a very young age I was drawn to the feel and look of feminine clothes--and entering puberty is was just exciting, both the risk and reward. Years later, wishing and wanting to be a woman, I still love the clothes, but there is much, much more to it than just the frilly, sometimes sexy part.

I've said it before in numerous threads, if there was a magic pill, I'd take it. Why? And maybe this WILL partially answer your question: I'm not so tired of male responsibility, I'm more tired of the conflicting thoughts, the misunderstanding by loved ones and co-workers, the split personality, and all the work it takes to try to be two "different" people.

My humanity does not change one bit whether in male or female mode. My wit, level of intelligence (or lack thereof), my desire to help others, and my desire to be at peace with everyone I know is the same regardless of how I present myself. I guess what I'm trying to say to you, Jess, is that we are always going to have a "role" to play in life. Which role is not nearly as important as how we play it.

...guy walks in the front door...1st thing out of wife's mouth is...the dryer doesn't work.

what I as a guy would prefer...

...wife says...the dryer broke, I know what is wrong with it, I have three estimates, and she will come home on her lunch break to take care of it...

...instead, its a burden placed on me to not only figure out what 'doesn't work' means, then I have to research, do all the leg work, worry about it etc etc...
    Chickie