Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wig or no wig. That is the question...

If you can do it, then do it!!!

Sweetie, I think your hair looks great the way it is.

Hi, I wear a wig sometimes but prefer and do use my own hair most of the time, it's just easier. It helps that we both have hair to grow. I noticed we have the same faux last name, maybe we are distant cousins? Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

So I'm still torn. I like using my real hair but it just isn't feminine enough... I'm going to save my money and try to purchase a really nice wig. Maybe around the $100-150 range. Gulp...so expensive......

Y'know, I'm not so sure that "expensive" translates to "good" in wigs. I've had some $100++ wigs that screamed "wig!" and my go-to Paula Young lace-front wig is currently on special for $45.

I do like the "slap it on and go" convenience of wigs, and the complete change in hair appearance is useful if I happen to run into an acquaintance while en femme.

That being said, I'm now coloring and growing my hair out and I'm looking forward to trying some short styles with it. Whether those styles ever see the light of day remains to be decided!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Aspiring Member
    Since I said before, I am nearly a cueball with only a little gray fringe around the side.

So I have no choice.

And I look so much younger too!

It's a wig for me!

No choice for me, alas. At my age what's left of my white hair needs hiding under the most luxurious femme wig I can find. The real joy of dressing up is the age-reducing camouflage afforded by a wig, hot or no.

M.

I think your hair is very cute. The key is that you need to be happy with your look. If you do get a wig, you just have more variety in your look. Variety is a good thing, yes?
    Personally, I am also in the "no choice" category. I could let it grow out but I get visions of George Carlin and his bald ponytail look. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
    I did find out from my work that February 28th is wig day, well, actually it's yearly bonus day and I have the wig I am going to purchase already picked out.

Shelby

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Ah to wig or not to wig. Yeah, I have said to my wife that I was thinking about trying the bald woman look, as I do not have the option of growing out my own and wigs do frustrate me.

I love my latest wig though. I was deciding between a $300 synthetic, or a $800 human hair one. I chose the synthetic. I actually wrote all about it on my blog.

Some quick tips
    - they do sell large size wig cap wigs, well worth it
    - have your chosen wig cut and styled for you, again well worth it
    - go to a wig store and try on the wigs

I wore a wig at a burlesque event last year, just to glam it up.
    Nowadays, my own hair does the same thing.

There is no magic formula. just live it up as you feel.

I love wigs, even if they're cheap! I like the way I can change my look so
    easily by changing wigs. I find it to be a lot of fun and makes me feel more
    femine.

Wig. Of course it all depends on style, color, the shape of your face. If you life allows you to grow hair, that's the best option. I had long hair in my teen years and I used to hair spray it up into the "Big Hair Doo's" of the eighties. Lots of fun. It also depends on what you can afford. $400 wigs and up are very realistic and beautiful. I personally prefer poofy hair, I have a fat head. I've used cheap under $50 wigs. But if you plan on going out in public its worth the investment. There is a wig store in Albuquerque NM, "Wigs, Wigs, Wigs", and they cater to CDer's. Wigs are my preference.

I do both..just depends on what look I am going for.....but yeah...as I get older my hair line is really showing my age, so soon enough it will be all wig....
    Gives new meaning to wigging out,lol!
    Vegan runners are sexy!!!

I still have a ways to go before I figure out what this aspect of me looks like, but I like the idea of just having my hair and being a little more me than trying to pass as a lady. Thanks for the original post, it felt really encouraging

After I came out about my dressing to my hairstylist of 20+ years I asked her to help me style the wig I had bought. I knew it just didn't look right, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Her advice to me was to ditch the wig and go with my natural hair, but in a funky-messed up style with lots of gel and spray. After messing around with it a bit she's right. For me at least, I'm fortunate that it works, or at least I think it works. I look more androgynous than femme, but I'm OK with that.

My main issue is my brows ... they are super thick and turning gray (oh, age!). I am now trying to nail a trimmed brow look filled in with makeup. Seems hit or miss at this point.

I work with out customer contact so I've been growing my hair out since '09. Long, straight, with silver hi-lights. Comes down past the bra band. The only thing for me is sometimes is I want the straight bangs in front. It's always tucked behind the ear. I suppose I could put it up in a wig cap and change hair color with a new wig. See, still learning everyday...

Joni

So keep your hair a plausible male length ( shaggy ) - short enough to look male when needed but long enough to be used with
    professional salon removable hair extensions which a professional helps you select and shows you how to put them in & style them different ways
    and is there for maintenance issues. You put them in when you want them in - and take them out when you don't. Look natural and can be THICKER than your natural hair.

I think it depends what you want. If you want to hide part of the face and neck, a longer wig is a good idea. If you think that is not needed and you can make a feminine looking hair style from your own hair when dressed, you don't have to bother with the wig.
    For me, a wig is necesary for example, because without a wig with long hair I'm even less passable. I have a short male hair style and a longer wig also cover my neck which is also not very feminine looking.
    Last edited by Karmen; 01-12-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Christy,

You look great with out a wig and you feel great go with out. I have long hair and have had it styled with a more femmine look from time to time. For now I am dressing part time and I just don't feel a complete transition with out the wig. Even though they are a pain.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by LaraPeterson View Post
    Even when I had plenty of hair, mine was always too thin and would not hold any style at all. I've learned to wig shop just like I clothes shop. A really good, well-fitting wig is neither hot nor uncomfortable. But, Christy, it appears you don't need one--lucky girl.
    I would agree, a good wig is like just having your real hair, I have 100% human hair, is is like having real long normal hair, it is comfortable and feels nature, hugs.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    No wig for me

When I had enough of my own hair, that's how I rolled.... Now, sadly, I need a little extra help...

a beautiful wig gives you a beautiful girly look i want to wear a wig when I'm doing cd

I'd go with my own hair but I would have had to pull it out of the shower drain for the past 20 years. So I don't go out dressed femme without a wig covering the chrome dome. The bangs do help a bit with the male brow issue too.

I'm in the same bind as many of you. The hair is no longer there. Wigs are the only way to look anywhere near feminine.