Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wig or no wig. That is the question...

Wig or no wig. That is the question...

So I've been toying around with this idea for a while about not wearing a wig. It started when I was growing my hair out last year. ( I only cut my hair about once a year). I hate wigs. They never look right. And they have to be one of the most uncomfortable things. Why would I want to wear something so uncomfortable when it doesn't really do anything personally for me? I've bought cheap wigs and wigs that cost me more than I wanted for something that shortly resembles the clog I dug out of my shower drain. Maybe I'm just ranting because I jut wish I could use my own hair to complete my look. Maybe I don't care anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's unmentionable how much a nicely done hair-do improves a look, but I think that's where I differ. It's not really about passing for me. I'm six-foot, 235lbs. I'm not your typical girl. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need to be seen as a woman and I don't really pretend to be one. I'm me, dressing how I want to, in some freaking drop-dead-gorgeous outfits. My hair now is about like a pixie cut, so that's about how I'm going to try and style it. I'm going out tomorrow night so I'll be sure to try and snap some photos to show you all. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a disaster.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a wig if your avatar photo tells the whole story. You look lovely and stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy120 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother with a wig if your avatar photo tells the whole story. You look lovely and stylish.
    You make me blush.

No need for blush(ing) unless you wish to touch up your makeup. I was trying to offer an objective opinion. You look great!

Aspiring Member
    Well I am bald with a little bit of gray around my head.

I think my question has already been answered!

But when I am dressed as a woman I look 20 years younger. The wigs really help!

Go for it!
    Last edited by Martha G; 01-05-2014 at 03:58 PM.

I believe growing your own hair is much better but for some people a wig is the only choice

Christy - objectively - I second that opinion from Katy (us Kate's stick together ) - your avatar photo shows that you have a great look and nicely defined bone structure (I'm not flirting - this is being objective... ) and the hair fits that look really well: it's a stylish, smart cut that enhances your look.
    Stick with it - some of us are stuck with wigs - what can I say...?
    Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Yeah. Wigs are a pain and make me too hot. Like wearing a hat inside.
    Only reason I do it is to avoid some people recognising me otherwide i like the short hair and makeup look.

Your avtar looks fine as it is.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    it's clearly a matter of personal choice, but even when i had enough hair to use my own when dressing I loved the variety of hair colors and styles I could quickly have. Wigs might be a bit uncomfortable after a while but i still love them!

You seem to have enough hair in the right places that you might be able to go without. Personally, I always had a "widowers peak" - with hair receding slightly along the temples. I've tried various hairstyles but none of them were all that good, often they looked more like bad comb-overs. In my case, I opted to spend a bit extra for a really good wig that gave really good coverage and would be comfortable all day long. Since I'm now living as a girl 24/7 about the only time I take off the wig is to sleep, even when I'm just at home.

I've been thinking about a weave, because I still have really nice hair with soft waves, but I worry that I might not want to deal with the upkeep. I've put my hair in rollers before, and even had a perm (ended up looking like Richard Simmons - yuck! With a wig, I brush it out on the wig block, put it on my head, and do a final touch-up with the brush. Very easy to manage and take care of. My mom had a nice wig when I was 10 or 11. I think I wore it more than she did.

I DO recommend that if you are going to wear a wig, that you consider spending the money for a good one. The Raquel Welsh line is excellent and if the store carries her line, they usually have other upscale wigs. These wigs can range from $100 to $500 and even higher, depending on whether you want real human hair or synthetic that looks like human. I find I like synthetics because they don't frizz when they get wet or in high humidity.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

I agree with the others that you look fine without a wig. That hairstyle does seem to fit you pretty well. Maybe you could try one of the better wigs out there. You might have to spend $500, $600, or more. I think they've come a long way from what they used to be. Go to a local wig shop and see what they have.

Banned Read only
    Even when I had plenty of hair, mine was always too thin and would not hold any style at all. I've learned to wig shop just like I clothes shop. A really good, well-fitting wig is neither hot nor uncomfortable. But, Christy, it appears you don't need one--lucky girl.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I certainly do like your look and more and more women are presenting with shorter hair. You kinda pull off that Jamie Lee Curtis look. Although I do love the feel of hair on my shoulders more often than not I go out sans wig. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of dangley earings, pink ball cap and sunglasses. Believe me, just go look at 90% of the women at the mall. Not much long hair going on there.
    Last edited by CarlaWestin; 01-05-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: sp
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    If only I had hair. For some of us a wig is the only viable option!

if you got it, rock it!

I HATE wigs. But, I have no choice. You look great without one if that's you in you avi.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Christy I am totally with you on this. Anyone who has seen my last pic post knows, for me the wig is out. Id rather have a cute short cut than mess with a wig. To me its like wearing a costume and its not who I am. You are on your way to having a nice style. Let it grow and find a stylist that would be willing to spend some time and help you with a style that works for you.
    Erica

Thin hair is what my siblings and I have. Not bald or anything like that, just thin and does not look great in any female cut so a wig it is. But if you can carry it off your own hair is the way to go.

Style your hair nicely and always try to present feminine, even if you are "big".

Do not despair, ever!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    My wig makes me look 10 or more years younger. I like light weight hair that breathes well. Keeps me cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BARBARA_MELENDEZ View Post
    I believe growing your own hair is much better but for some people a wig is the only choice
    I think that may be subjective, I was growing my hair, and then realized (after reading someone elses experiences) that a guy with long hair doesn't automatically have the luxury of being able to style that hair in a feminine fashion. I'm no hair stylist, so I can't speak to this, but I know that my hair got long enough so that I didn't feel I was trapped with 'guy hair' when dressed, but I couldn't ever make it look *right* when I did dress. I should also mention that dressing (for me) is something I do when I can, and plan for it, I don't dress daily (though sometimes I wish I could.) so in the end, I cut my hair, and have gone back to the wig. It's not the most comfortable thing, but then neither is a lot of makeup, so I just accept it as part of the experience. I know the wig looks much better than my natural hair, and it's a big enough difference that I never look in the mirror and say 'Oh that's just me (a guy) in lipstick.'

Truthfully, even if I cuold grow it out to the length I'd really want for dressing time, it would be difficult to pull off for work, or around friends.

Silver Member
    Christy - Wear your hear anyway you want to, with or without a wig. You look great and will look terrific - wig or no wig. Have fun and share your pictutres. Thanks.

As is the consensus here I think if you've got it, lucky you, short hair can still look very feminine if it's styled correctly for your facial features and then also you can mix it up with the option to wear a wig to change you looks.

If only i had the hair line to do it! if you got it you should flaunt it!!

If I could grow my hair I would. Unfortunately Mother Nature has made me folically challenged. I would simply look like a monk with long hair thanks to that built in reflector. I'm not about to spend money on a transplant so wigs are a necessity for me.
    Do it if you can.

As for your size...there are lots of big women out there. You are my height and a bit heavier, but so are many, many women. Just be you.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !