Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar

Snow

I'm sitting in my office, all comfy in nightgown and robe having morning coffee and watching all the snow back east on TV. Although I live out in the desert now, I've always loved the beauty of the fresh falling snow. I remember being fully dressed with leotards and tights, breast forms and hip pads, sweater and snow boots for fabulous walks during the storms. Obvious shape and curves of a buxom voluptuous woman but warmly camouflaged with knit cap and scarf. I even had cute little pink gloves for just such outings. Afterwards, warming with hot chocolate while watching the snow continue to quietly fall through the picture window, all snug in my pajamas.

But, I sure don't miss all that shoveling and, that gray stuff that just refused to melt.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Gone to live my life
    Hey Carla,

Being from the great white north . . . I love the first snowfall of the year with it's pristine look and crunchy sound under your boots that is until it is followed by another two feet of pristine crunchy then another and my snow blower throws an impeller belt which will take two weeks for a replacement one. The shoveling is fine for the first hour then that wears thin (albeit good exercise). Now looking at approximately 3 feet of snow with a minus 30 degree Celsius drop in weather.

Seriously though, winter is still one of my favorite seasons . . . I love that I can bundle Isha up in nice coats, boots and scarves and of course hanging by the fireplace on a cold evening with my wife is an added bonus.

Hugs

Isha

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I love the snow during winter..... When it snows here in Winnipeg, it actually is more mild temperature than there are clear skies

Well, it's raining here, and windy, and we have flooding in the west of the country, and we've had our first hail shower of the winter... But that's not really news. Honestly, it's no fun going out and just getting wet - at least when it is so cold, it's effectively dry. I'd love to winter somewhere really cold and snowy - Carla, hot chocolate and a roaring log fire sounds like a recipe for romance and a bit of Deano background music... snuggle up and have one for me, please.
    Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I've only seen it snow a couple of times since I moved here. At certain times of the year, you can snow ski on Mt. Charleston and water ski on Lake Mead, all in the same day. Today, we'll be in the 70's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Carla, stop rubbing it in! It may look nice, but I hate the snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stephanie

The shoveling is "snow" fun for sure. Not in any huge hurry to get out there no hurry to go anywhere really. That's the beauty of being retired.Looks like we got around 4-5" here where I live in PA. Will probably work my way out there later to shovel a path to the mail box.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I had to go into work early..... almost got run over by the snow plow... then a large blob of snow fell out of a tree and hit the daughters windshield.... cracked it all the way accross.... I'm freezing and my corset is too tight! lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I had to go into work early..... almost got run over by the snow plow... then a large blob of snow fell out of a tree and hit the daughters windshield.... cracked it all the way accross.... I'm freezing and my corset is too tight! lol
    Yeah, Our Moms should have told us there'd be days like this.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

We had someone move in to the vacant house at the end of the block this week. N.Car. license plates. We got 12-14 inches over two days, I did the sidewalks (snowblower) by their house as I usually do when the house was untended, and met the new neighbors. After introductions, I assured the guy we only get this much once every few years- he told me they were originally from Michigan, which gets lots of lake effect snow- so this little snowfall we just has was like a welcome back home.
    I can appreciate the sentiment, what a wonderful attitude! Not for everyone, but in our neighborhood I've been digging people's driveways out for years (2 stage thrower really digs into the compacted plowed snow), and these days it is like a small social event- neighbors that don't interact much all come out and have at the snow and pitch in together for the more elderly residents. Brings back that old neighborhood feeling.
    Best of all, I wear a ladies' (albeit unisex looking) snow suit the whole time!

Platinum Member
    I totally miss the weather up north. Today the temps at home in western MN are supposed to drop into the -30 range. I love it. There is nothing so awesome as looking up into the night sky during the dead of winter. The cold dry air opens up the universe to inspection. All one can see of the night sky here in Houston are approaching aircraft.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Hi Carla. Growing up and living in WI my whole life. I kinda vary on the subject. I love the snow. But the cold hates me. We have been at or below zero for a few weeks now. We should hit a freezing high of -13 on monday.
    Well either way its perfect football weather.
    Go PACKERS !!!!!!!
    Erica

since I work outside, tend to 35 horses, and live many miles outside of town...snow sucks...

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Forgive me for not getting joyous about snow. After reading todays new posts, I will be going outside and starting the snowblower again. This has been one of the snowiest winters in a long time... and it is not over yet! We Canadians are tough, we have to be, the weather makes us get that way! Yea, yea, I know, suck it up Princess, put your big girl panties on and get it done. Oh wait, I already have my big girl panties on...LOL
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I can still remember the first snow of the year, I was invariably in school and someone would shout out “It’s snowing” and everyone would run to the windows to look at the snow. The teacher would the spend several minutes getting everyone back to their desks; if the snow continued the day was more or less shot – school wise – as the only thing on anyone’s mind was the bell and getting out into the snow. When there was enough snow there was snow forts, snow ball fights, sledding, but also wet mittens and galoshes with those darn metal latches that filled up with snow, red noses and ears. Nothing like the smell of wet mittens, rubber galoshes, wet woolen coats and scarves in the entry-room – yuck! Anybody else remember, or is still experiencing, getting packed snow out of a dogs paws?

I lived in Evanston, north of Chicago, lots of big older homes and everyone kept the fire in the fireplace going; and everyone burned coal. Coal kept the living room nice and warm and the heat made its way up the staircase and the second floor was always nice and warm too. The downside to coal is that it doesn’t have that nice North Woods smell that burn wood has and the coal soot from the chimneys quickly does away with the pristine look of newly fallen snow. But d@mn snow sure looks inviting in pictures and movies, the beautiful final scenes in “White Christmas” are really something, nothing like the cold bleak scenes in “It’s a Wonderful Life”. Memories of a White Christmas are often better than the real thing.

It was 76° yesterday with a low around 49°; San Diego’s average January temperatures are 49° and 65°, but we live a bit inland and our day time high temperature is more like 70°. Even if got cold enough for snow we would probably be out of luck for any significant amount of snow. Last January we only got 1.7 inches of rain and February brought only 0.6 inches more, heck the total for 2013 was only 5.57 inches, that a day’s total in some places. The actual rainfall calendar is kept from July through June and so far the 2013-2014 rainfall is even less – we’ve had only 0.47 of rainfall since July 1st.
    Babs

You want my snow? You can have it!!!!! BUT You have to take the near zero temps alond with it!!!!!!!!

Banned Read only
    Having been raised back east I do miss snow. Of course, snow does get dirty and compacted and becomes a nuisance. However, when the snow is first falling taking a stroll in it was beautiful. Now living in western Washington it hardly snows. We did have in my area thirteen inches in 1979. Somehow I do miss the winter season. I do not miss exceptionally freezing blizzards with icy snow and gale force winds. I miss the gently falling snow.

My wife has a different take on cold snow. Back in the day (1970's) women always wore dresses or skirts/blouses to a professional office. She remembers, and not fondly, waiting for the elevated subway line in freezing cold blowing snow attired in a short skirt and nylons. Frankly, I wouldn't mind trying that out once in a while. I've been out when it has been very cool and loved the feeling of the cool air blowing up my dress.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 01-03-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Banned Read only
    Snow sucks! 0 - degrees suck! You can have my share of it if you want it. I can't wait for retirement! Just think...... warm, salty, gentle, tradewinds, cute pool boys, Pina Coladas. I am ready now!

Yesterday we got 1 to 2 inches of snow, not enough to play winter sports, just enough to be irritating, then on rare occasions we get a lot, but it usually doesn't stay long. So in the winter we can't do summer sports and we can't do winter sports. Catch 22!!

Bria

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I totally miss the weather up north. Today the temps at home in western MN are supposed to drop into the -30 range. I love it. There is nothing so awesome as looking up into the night sky during the dead of winter. The cold dry air opens up the universe to inspection. All one can see of the night sky here in Houston are approaching aircraft.
    The coldest weather I have ever been in was in central Minnesota on New Years eve just north of Olivia, Minnesota, - 40 F, which is also -40 C. I always had a hard time looking up at the wondrous sky when that little patch of exposed skin on my face (everything else totally covered up several times) felt frozen, I had a brain freeze like eating ice cream way too fast, my nose breathing passages were totally frozen shut, and the almost frozen breath vapor all but obscured that wondrous view. Give me the warmer weather, some haze, too many city lights (light pollution) and I am much happier.

PS: It is supposed to get close to 70 F today.

I am a California girl, and I hate snow.

In 1999 I was working for an international consulting company and had to travel to Radner, PA to give a demonstration of a SAP application we had developed. I was traveling with my work partner and when we arrived in Philly, we were nearly the last plane in as there was a nasty snow storm brewing. We were lucky to get to our hotel in Radner - only to find out that the kitchen was closed due to the heavy snow.

The next morning after 12" of snow had fallen overnight, we trudged out to the car, put the office location in the GPS and headed off trying to follow the tire tracks in the snow as the ploughs had not made it through yet. We finally made it to the office complex only to find about 4 or 5 cars in the lot. Apparently the local office had called a 'snow day' and since we weren't on tehir local email list we didn't know to stay home.

So, there we were; two guys from California with no experience driving in snow ready to give our demo to an empty office.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Its -25 here today with the wind chill, so I wore a bra to the mall today. It was under my big coat and a sweater but I have no doubt it made me feel warmer and prettier. Anything to cheer up the deep mid-winter is welcome, and reminds me of warmer days and bikinis and skirts and better times. World Pride 2014 trans march in Toronto, at the end of June just 6 months away.
    Last edited by rita63; 01-03-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

I normally enjoy winter, but this season has to be the worse ever. You can't go on the ice, the snow is all crusty so all the snow sports/activities have been ruined as well. 3 more months to go 😞

I live in Washington state and we still haven't had any snow

Who doesnt love boots!
    Its going to cold as sh__ here in minneapolis. They are predicting saturday night into sunday morning should be about -20F with a high of about -10F, and -25F sunday night into monday with a high of -14F on monday morning. *sigh*
    - Jessica