Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Selfish?

Is this Selfish?

This weekend a good friend of mine is throwing his wife a big surprise party and he sent me and the wife and invite. I saw him yesterday and he asked if I was coming to the party. I told him I should be there. The only problem is that my wife is going out of town for the weekend and my teen aged daughter is work from 4:00 till 12:00 of Saturday. This means that I can get dressed and go out in my home town for the first time ever. I really want to go to a club for a little while and be back home before midnight, which for me is easy, but I hate being a no show to the Birthday party. I just have so few chances to get out that I really hate to miss this opportunity.

So my question is; Am I being too selfish in wanting to go out as Marsha over going to my friends party?

This is where I really feel the fact that I am leading a double life whether I like it or not.
    Marsha

PS, Any of you ladies out there in Knoxville that want to join me from about 7:00 on message me for location. I would love to have some company.

Take Care,
    Marsha

Banned Read only
    Yes, this is the definition of selfish. A friend's birthday happens once a year whereas you have multiple opportunities every year.

Marsha, the answer may be in your description of the host as a "good friend". Combined with the fact that he has also followed up with you in person, it sounds like it's important to him that you make it to the party. Putting your own desire over his need, isn't necessarily bad, but, as Jennifer has said, by definition it's selfish.

Wendy

Ask yourself how you think you'd be received. That should answer your question.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

So - could Marsha go out first and then go to the birthday party? Or is that an obvious no-no?
    Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Just curious is the party going to be a large party with many guest if so your attendance probably wouldnt be much of an issue anyway also what is you relationship with his wife and even if you are there will it make any difference to her or not.

If you've already said you'd go, then I think you should go

Bummer you'll not get to go out as Marsha, but that time will come too

Sorry Marsha, If this is truly a good friend, it's probably a bad idea to
    miss his party. I think we all have this type of conflict now and then.
    The desire to get dressed is definitely an addiction. It's always there, and
    will still be there, probably even stronger, the next time you get the chance to go out.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn

Silver Member
    Go to the party then go out afterwards. That way you maintain the friendship and satisfy your need to dress and go out.

Many times I have a planned evening out and something like this comes up and I can't go.
    So when the opportunity to go out arises, now I think hard about how important the other option really is. You could send a gift to the party?
    Stephanie

I thought as much. It looks like my best bet would be to go to the party early and then head out as Marsha afterwards. While the party will be quite large, 100 plus folks, yes they know everyone, I did tell him I wold be there. So I best buck up and go.

Of course I really wish I cold go as Marsha and save all of this quibbling. LOL.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    hmmmmmm tough dilema.....I understand if you have very few opportunities....i have been known to pull the selfish routine from time to time in regards to dressing....this is your friends wife's birthday...so your friend probably wants your company. But yeah...tough call there.

if you don't go to the party you have lied to your friend and then you will need to make up another lie to your wife when she asks how the party was.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to not attend the party

Banned Read only
    Yeah Marsha, definitely selfish in this case. I can sympathize, though. It's hard not to take an opportunity to get all fixed up and go out on the town. But you have already made a commitment (sort of) and as others have said, if this guy is a "good friend," you ought to go. Maybe you could do what Katey said; do both.

Platinum Member
    Wanting something isn't necessarily selfish...but your choice could be. What do you think?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

''Good friends'' are hard to come by! What would your ''good friend'' do if the table was turned? I can only imagine what your friend would think if you were a no show! Making a friend happy would be the most important to me!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

hard to say.. how long will the party last? can you go out afterwards? This type of situation is horrible . I guess just try and go and make the best of it. If you can try and leave a little early so you can do both..
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Hey Marsha,

You are not selfish. No one would call you selfish if you had two invites to dinner and had to choose one and decline the other. You are just trying to cope with having limited time to CD. Hope you can find a way to attend the party briefly and then get out to the club as planned.

Don't you just hate these crazy situations we find ourselves in? Too often I have blocked off some Stephanie time in advance only to have it rescheduled by outside forces.

Good luck gal!

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

Marsha,
    You are not being selfish, but sometimes you have to weigh your priorities in your double life.
    I have missed many opportunities putting my dressing first.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Marsh View Post
    I thought as much. It looks like my best bet would be to go to the party early and then head out as Marsha afterwards. While the party will be quite large, 100 plus folks, yes they know everyone, I did tell him I wold be there. So I best buck up and go.

Of course I really wish I cold go as Marsha and save all of this quibbling. LOL.
    Good choice, Marsha! Best just to show up and leave quickly. You are being a best friend to your best friend.

If you're life is anything like mine, there's a million events going on at the same time. Sometimes you just gotta pick and choose.

Since there's going to be a lot of people at the party, your absence won't have as much impact. Making an appearance before going out sounds like a good compromise. You might even enjoy the party so much that you want to stick around.

Maybe, but sometimes you have to do something for you. If it is a party of 100, then its just an appearance anyways and you won't be spending a lot of time with your friend. If you would normally go with your wife then just tell your friend you are not up to going alone with no dance partner... or just show up early say hi and say you probably won't stay long and then vanish after a while.... For me, personally, I would be offended if someone said they would come and did not. If they can't make it, I don't care why, I just would like to know so I'm not waiting for them to arrive.
    Chickie

Marsha,
    I have the answer... get dressed & go to the birthday party! Allows you to get to the party AND dress.. Problem solved!! LOL !

Hugs, Connie Marie

Marsha,
    Every chance you miss to go out en femme is lost forever. I'd either make a short appearance at the party, or call friend and apologize that you won't be able to make it. With so few opportunities to go out, seize the moment!!!!

i don't think it's particularly selfish, then again my opinion on the subject is probably fairly biased. i never feel obligated to go to any social event ever. i don't see the point of forcing myself to go to something i know i won't enjoy for the sake of saving face. life is too short. i mean, personally i would probably go to the event, but i would probably enjoy it. it sounds like you don't want to go, so don't. just because somebody was born on a certain day doesn't mean you should be obligated to drop everything for their sake. especially if it's just your friend's wive. he married her, not you. do what makes you happy. ^-^