Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this Selfish?

I'm with Connie, 100%! But sound him out first......
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

self·ish
    ˈselfiSH/
    adjective
    adjective: selfish

(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

I would say that the OP fits that definition.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Hi Marsha

If you had simply received the invite and not responded it would be easier to skip the party, but you told your good friend personally that you should be there. I greatly suspect that your good friend understood “should be there” to mean “will be there”. For many of us the opportunity to go out en femme occurs only rarely but good friends may be even rarer. I think you made a commitment to your friend to go to the party.
    You didn’t write what the hours of the party happen to be or just what type of party it is, I’m guessing a surprise Birthday Party for your friends Wife? With a hundred people in attendance it doesn’t sound like a sit down dinner, which works in your favor. If the party starts early enough you might be able to partially prepare for going out prior to going to the party and make an appearance. Then once you have met with your friend and his Wife you should be able to excuse yourself by telling your friend that you had prior plans that you were able to postpone so you could attend his Wife’s party, but you really have to leave early. Just remember that you’re having to leave early is in all likelihood going to get back to your Wife.

From your post “out in my home town for the first time ever” I suspect that you are not really out. The fact that you need to get home before your Daughter does suggests that she doesn’t know. How about your Wife does she know? Is there any chance that your Daughter might get off work early and thus get home early? I’m still questioning what you’re planning to tell your Wife you did for the evening when she finds out you didn’t attend the party or you left early – which she will inevitably find out. This is assuming she wouldn’t approve of your going out on the town en femme – why else would you wait for her to go out of town.
    Babs