Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reading Comprehension

I was an undiagnosed dyslexic when I was young. I struggled in undergrad school, but figured out how to compensate for the deficit in grad school. So, beyond undergrad through two more degrees, I did well academically.

Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    No. If you look about you here you'll find a very representative cross section of society, all levels of educational attainment and vocation or profession. By inference one could very reasonably conclude that among us there is a similarly wide range of altitudes, but no reason at all to suggest difficulties in reading comprehension or other learning difficulties. Looking at yourself only tells you about you...not about a diverse universe of people.
    I think this says it best. The only musical instrument I can play is the radio and I love to wear woman's clothes!
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Wow! Being new to the forum, this thread is interesting. I happen to be a dyslexic guitar player (seriously... I'm not being silly here). I sometimes have to re-read things several timesto work through understanding when reading. Through the years it has gotten much better but it was tough in mid-level grades. No problem with math though.

Rock on!
    Sarah

My spelling was, and still is, pretty poor. Grammar not much better.

I became an engineer and now have to write legal papers to correspond with the patent office.

Comprehension was good, so that helps with the patent work.
    DonnaT

Very mild dyslexia here, had no trouble with any school subject except music and foreign languages. Kimdl had it right, you can't generalize from a sample of one and we're like an AA meeting here, every kind of person with crossdressing the only thing in common.

Michelle, your thread has me reflecting on my early school years. I despised the language arts. Reading a classic novel would put me into a coma. However, you could not pry anything related to the the sciences or performing arts away from me. That might explain the results of my college entrance exams. My scores suggested a low probability of passing Freshman College English. That hurt my pride and became the motivation I needed to change.

Through a lot of effort, I actually did very well with multitude of college English classes. I cannot say they were my favorite subjects. Ironically, writing and speech communications have been the foundation of my career. Classic novels still do not excite me. That's OK by me though. Everybody has an interest and mine happens to be something else. Perhaps that is your case as well.
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Michelle, my experience was like yours. I was very good at spelling, grammar, writing, diagramming sentences, vocabulary, etc. but had trouble with reading comprehension. And even more trouble with interpretation of poems and stories. I was good at those things because it was just a matter of following rules and committing to memory. Interpretation required a different process that I apparently lacked. In history, for example, I could spit out facts (when was the war of 1812?) but had trouble with "what was the significance of the War of the Roses?"

Salesman walks up a house with a boy sitting on the front porch.
    "Where's your mother?" he asks.
    "She ain't here."
    "Young man, where's your grammar?"
    "She ain't here, neither."

As for any connection to CDing, I don't think so.
    Last edited by NicoleScott; 01-08-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Yeah, I remember taking CAT tests in grade school, and doing very well in pretty much everything, except reading comprehension. I was always in 99th percentile in Math, and performed above average in vocabulary, spelling, and everything except that. I remember just reading the questions and then going back and looking for the answers, because I was too bored to read the story. Doubt it has anything to do with dressing though. Not sure how that would make sense.

Thank you all for your responses. I wasn't like horrible in reading comprehension, just not as good as I was in everything else. I was straight A student in Language Arts, math, science, and social studies, so being a B/C student in reading comp seemed bad to me. Oh, and I was far worse at phys ed than I was at reading comprehension - I'm lucky I got a C in P.E., I think the only requirement for a C in P.E. was to show up to class. Sadly, I actually know of people who got an F in P.E. but they never showed up to class. I think my reading comprehension problem was probably caused by skimming and not actually reading.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I can read and understand 7 languages including English pretty much fluently nowadays and always excelled in foreign languages at school.

However i always got round 50-60 percent in school based exams and was bottom of my class in English class itself which revolved more around comprehension (although still managed to scrape an A in the standardised country-wide UK exams at aged 16).We used to have dreaded exams titled English Comprehensipn at school twice a year and lots of exam practice tests in between.

So maybe that applies to me.However i am not your "typical" CDer since i didn't start showing any interest until the age of 24/25 in CDing and I am homosexual.

In fact i used to wonder why people CDed at all until my mid 20's and didn't understand anything or anyone on the TG spectrum at all.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    For some strange reason, I can write beautifully. I attribute it to writing in my voice. I might not be grammatically correct all the time and I surely lean on spell check but, it seems to come out intelligibly. On the other hand I find reading to be laborious. The material has to really hold my interest which is why I love this forum. My siblings are all edgy-ma-kators and in my opinion, dumber than a bag of hammers. They're always in awe at how baby brother manages to oriate so eloquently.

Interesting, when I read something like a manual or news article, I catch myself reading backwards. I mean word for word backwards. Sometimes I seem to be able to page glance speed read, you know, like take a mental picture of a page and recall information.

And I love wearing lingerie, dresses, makeup, heels................
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!