Thread: It's official . . . I don't think anyone recognizes me

Gone to live my life

It's official . . . I don't think anyone recognizes me

No . . . this is not about me passing as a GG it is about me finally getting an answer to my one fear . . . bumping into someone I know well while en femme.

So, I spent the last three days as Isha (with the exception of a work thing were I was "en boy"). I stayed with a GG friend of mine and three other GG friends also stayed over. We went out to the movies, restaurants, shopping or just hung around and I did this "en femme". BTW, I must say, I had a very delightful time.

Okay side note/tangent warning: For those of you have travelled pretty away from home . . . do you find your girl stuff outnumbers your boy stuff. On a normal "boy" trip three days equates to one small bag, packing for two genders . . . two extra bags.

Anyway, back on track. So today I decided to return home (driving) "en femme" but wanted to stop at Starbucks before heading out. I was with a GG friend and we were leaving when in through the door walked a close friend of mine from my old military life (the SF side). Now I spent a lot of time with this guy in very close quarters so we know each other very well.

He looked me over real quick then moved past me . . . WHEW. Then as I was heading back to my car I hear "Hey wait a minute" and I saw him running toward me. OH, OH So, I took a deep breath, turned and waited for the "Dude what gives". When he got up to me all he said was "You dropped your glove miss" handed it back to me then left. Now there was no hint of recognition in his eyes (if he did, he hid it well).

I am not sure what was nicer though, him not recognizing me or realizing that chivalry is not dead in my brother soldiers.

Hugs

Isha

Isha, your stories are so great. And it's because we can place ourselves in your shoes (heels?) easily. Great story! Prior military service is so common here too!
    Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Platinum Member
    I can imagine your heart skipped a beat or two just then. It sounds as though he didn't recognize you....I can't imagine that he did given his reaction.

Re: the three days...What a great way to spend your off duty hours!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Either way its a good outcome. If he didn't recognise you, then that's obviously great but if he did, he didn't want to humiliate you and treated you as the lady you were presenting as and that is a reflection on him.
    Its one thing to be clocked as a man in a dress, but its another thing to be recognised. You can have the best image and presentation and mannerisms and voice in the world but if you're not out and you only have one car and you are driving that when someone sees you and knows your car, then that can kind of undo all the preparation and work you've done

Melissa
    Last edited by Princess29; 01-10-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Isha - well, congrats first of all for having sooo much time to Isha-self, but doesn't that make it harder going back to boy-mode?
    And that's an extraordinary coincidence! Just goes to reinforce about people seeing what they expect to see and rejecting what doesn't fit their world view - a touch of the old cognitive dissonance, I'd suggest...
    Must ask you sometime about all those GGs as well...
    Great time - thanks for sharing it for us vicarious practitioners
    Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Isha great story!

Isha that is a super story. I bet you had a great time spent those three days. I bet packing would be a night mare also, but sounds like a worth while trip and that this happened just means that you are very much a gal when you want to be out and about. Thanks for sharing the great story. I hope he didn't recognize you but you know military guys are hard to fool but you may have just pulled it off.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    It doesn't get any better than that. That's what I like about my girl look. It is so different from my boy mode that I don't worry if I cross paths with acquaintances. You have achieved a goal that we all strive for. Congratulations.

Inconceivable

Well in your case, you can always tell your (ex-)colleagues you're on a secret military undercover mission and they're about to blow your cover.

Banned Read only
    Female presentation really is a very effective disguise, and btw, based on your pictures, I think you present very well. Only thing that likely gives you away at times is your attitude of "I'm sure I don't pass." Mostly people see what they expect to see. You present as a woman, you don't have beard shadow, someone is just likely going to see "woman".

Good story!

I don't worry so much about being recognized as I do about my wife being recognized. We've been shopping 60 miles from home and she has run into co-workers. Our SOP in these cases is to separate until the danger has passed.

The other issue is one's voice. Even if we're speaking in a feminine manner it seems that the sound of a voice is a very individual thing.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Good story Isha, thanks as always for sharing. I really look forward to someday doing that "friend's recognition" test. Being a old mostly bald grey haired guy I have to think that with a wig and makeup I would never be recognized but you just never know until you try, right? I love the concept of CD hiding in plain sight, it just adds to the total irony of CD'ing that we get to practice sometimes.

Oh, and the old drop the gloves on purpose trick? I'll have to remember that one as well, LOL.

Hugs,
    Steph
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

I'm thinking military rules of chivalry would work still even if he did recognize you, I would certainly look after my ex brothers in arms
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Hi Isha - wonderful story, fantastic experience! I've been meaning to mention, and this is a fine opportunity, first that you've established yourself as a widely-admired favorite around here, and in record time - surely speaks well of you and for you! More importantly, I see a very distinct trend in your posts - in part because you've covered a great deal of experiential ground in a very short while and, separately but very clearly, there is a firm arc to your photos - you've posted a pretty good variety of up-close images in these months, and the person I see in them is definitely looking happier and more confident with each new photo. Like pretty much everyone here, I'm just delighted for you! Hugs - Diane

Way cool girl.
    Angie

It is a weird feeling talking to someone and they do not know who you are.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gone to live my life
    Hi everyone,

Thanks much for your kind replies and comments. Yes it was a bit of a surreal moment. The last time I talked to this guy for any real length was on operations and we were calling indirect fire onto our position to beat a hasty retreat. So placing it into the context of a gentleman returning a glove to a woman was shall we say . . . odd.

I did have a great three days and it was much fun being Isha for such a long period of time although it was a bit labour intensive. I have not worn make-up for an entire day (obviously removed it at night) so, while my beard has been significantly reduced (thanks laser ) I was still in touch-up mode as the day drew on. What was also nice was everywhere we went, people used the appropriate "gender" title when talking to me.

I have to admit though after such a long Isha stint, I am content to be "boy me" for a spell at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    ... a touch of the old cognitive dissonance, I'd suggest...
    Must ask you sometime about all those GGs as well...
    Hi Katey . . . I agree cognitive dissonance at it's best. Regarding the GG friends, my real military occupation is military psychologist which tends to have a large female representation and these are gals I have know for years before moving on to Special Forces (SF). When I left the SF world and returned to military psychology I reconnected with these gals and came out to them quite early. They have been very supportive in helping me interact "en femme" in the world. They are great at gently reminding me when "boy me" mannerisms and actions are creeping in to Isha.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylia View Post
    Well in your case, you can always tell your (ex-)colleagues you're on a secret military undercover mission and they're about to blow your cover.
    Hi Zylia . . . LOL. Never thought of that. May have bump to that course of action should I ever get recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Sometimes View Post
    ... Oh, and the old drop the gloves on purpose trick? I'll have to remember that one as well, LOL.
    Ah Stephanie . . . you are on to my flirty ways sweetie

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    It is a weird feeling talking to someone and they do not know who you are.
    Hi Bev . . . Definitely. My interactions with the guy were all operational contexts and to interact in this manner was really weird.

Hugs all,

Isha

Another great adventure. I can certainly relate as I really started my dressing on active duty and always feared recognition especially traveling on/off post (pre9/11 so no ID needed). You handled that potentially awkward moment better than I.

Don't be so surprised Isha. I've had the same types of experiences en femme. Besides, from your pics you look "all woman" to me. Carry on troop.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning