Thread: No Gurls for Karren!

Aspiring Member

No Gurls for Karren!

Over the years that I have been on the forum, the term gurls has been bandied about as either a corrupt version of girls, an insult, an OK term for guys who are gender bending etc. While I was looking for information about the 'gyaru" style of dress in Japan, I came across this odd bit of information and thought I would pass it on. It does leave open how the term came to be used here in the US, and possibly it came by way--if it did--of tourists, or sailors or cd's who visited japan.

"Gyaru (ギャル?) is a Japanese transliteration of the English word gal. The name originated from a 1920s brand of jeans called "gurls", with the advertising slogan: "I can't live without men", and was applied to fashion- and peer-conscious girls in their teens and early twenties. Its usage peaked in the 2000s and has gradually declined."
    More surprising to me is the fact that the Japanese had 'jeans" in a culture that was very restrictive in very many ways, and jeans would certainly have been out of place among kimonos. where exactly did they wear these jeans?

further,
    In Tokyo, more often than not, a shopping center at each main train station is dedicated to offering the newest and trendiest items from popular Gal brands. Some brands are also reaching overseas by having their items easily accessible in webshops offering world-wide shipping services. A Gal Circle is a meet up of gals to hang out together.
    So Gal is also among their words from the West. Is this the result of "sailor invasion"? Or perhaps from the old song, "Me and My gal".
    JUST a crossdresser

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Ladies in Japan, Thailand etc were wearing jeans back in the 70's

I don't know much about Japan nor ''guys'' jeans for that matter! So not to be judging anyone I think I will continue to look at the word, if it is a word ''gurl'' as a misspelled word!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

When I see the word gurls here I consider it either a slang term or a miss spelling of the word.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You probably noticed that very few if any of my friends use that term.... or have that embedded in their user names.... or call me HON! lol... What jeans wearin feriners call themselves is no concern of mine! lmao....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    I've always viewed the word "gurl" as a combination of "GUy" and "giRL". Whenever I see it, I think of guys who like being girls.

Actually, I like it as descriptive term... light-hearted and non-offending, kinda playful, and serves to identify us as MTF crossdressers.

There are FAB girls, and there are fab "gurls"!

It is right up there with "womyn," "womban," "womon," "wimmin," "femayle" and "humyn." Rhetorical garbage to poiliticize humanity.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Aspiring Member

yep

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Ladies in Japan, Thailand etc were wearing jeans back in the 70's
    GURLS jeans = a 1920s brand
    One assumes by 1970 the whole world was wearing jeans.
    JUST a crossdresser

Crikey! I've been using this thinking it was OK.... Thought it was quite innocuous but who wants to be mistaken for a pair of 90 year old jeans..? I suppose that explains why no one calls their offspring Levi or Brutus anymore...
    So... all you blokes in makeup and dresses out there... better get used to the new realpolitik of nomenclature...
    Interesting start, Busker - I like the idea that 'gurls' can't live without men - in fact, I can't think of a better reason to keep using it... or will that get me struck off with extreme prejudice.
    All in jest, of course. Back in my newbie box now.
    Thanks gu... people...
    Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I don't use the term with the spelling style of 'gurls' but why the hang up for some? I jokingly use 'innit' in text correspondence, as people know it comes from an old git and is purely in jest as a form of getting down with the kids....'u no wot i'm sayin'.

I find no insult in such terms, I just prefer not to use it.

Rebecca (street n all that).......not!
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

When I was in school (back in the stone age) it was taught that proper spelling along with good grammar were the pinnacle of communication, therefore gurl or gurls are misspelled (whether slang or not), so my spelling of girl would be correct.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

don't like the term mostly because it is used by many as sort of a slangy term for those who dress when others think it is a game
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLynne View Post
    I've always viewed the word "gurl" as a combination of "GUy" and "giRL". Whenever I see it, I think of guys who like being girls.

Actually, I like it as descriptive term... light-hearted and non-offending, kinda playful, and serves to identify us as MTF crossdressers.

There are FAB girls, and there are fab "gurls"!
    I agree with RebeccaLynne on this - the first time I saw 'gurls' I puzzled it out and decided it meant a 'GUy who dresses in giRLS clothes. I find it an enjoyable term and to me it seems like an easy way to refer to all of us here. I hope nobody finds it offensive - and now that I've explained what it means to me, I hope nobody thinks I can't spell and don't pay attention to what I post

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Okay I looked it up on Urban dictionary, if anybody is interested.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gurl

I clicked on your link, Marleena, and I think it's a pretty reasonable definintion. The use of the word "spelt" caught my attention, as I have never seen it used as an alternative for "spelled". While researching it, I also learned that spelt is a type of wheat.
    Like reb.femme, I don't use the word "gurls" but find no insult when others do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    Okay I looked it up on Urban dictionary, if anybody is interested.
    Honestly worse than using Wikipedia to credit something..."spelt" ??? Really ??
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Lol... hey I see it as slang so why not use the Urban dictionary, the best source for slang on the net?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Honestly worse than using Wikipedia to credit something..."spelt" ??? Really ??
    Agree totally.