Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going in Public - Selective Attention - and CDing

Gone to live my life

Going in Public - Selective Attention - and CDing

Hi all,

I have noticed a few threads about going out and wondering if you might be noticed by those around you and/or close friends or work colleagues (clocked). Now this thread in no way is advocating that you should go out if you are not ready to do so. However, if you are planning to do so and are reticent with people noticing the "guy in the dress" I just wanted to share a bit about human cognitive processing with you.

Selective attention or attention control is something we all do. It rests in the pre-frontal cortex of the human brain and is part of executive function (that which allows you to function as a person in day to day life). Lobotomies of the past used to sever executive function (pre-frontal cortex) from the brain to make a person more docile. But I digress so back on track . . . If you think about driving to work or someplace you go each day, can you recall every detail of what happened on that drive with clarity? Most likely not as you are processing selective attention (eyes on the road) not paying attention to the world around you. The only time you might remember detail is if something unique happens . . . say you get cut-off by someone. At that point executive control kicks in and voila . . . you begin to process at the detail level.

Now you are probably saying . . . what the heck does this have to do with CDing? Well, if we apply this to a busy mall scenario and you are out and about doing your thing, you are most likely concentrating on the salient (what is important to you - such as getting to a store, going over in your mind what you need, etc.). Your selective attention is directed at that level and not the broader world. However, if something catches your eye, you may shift your attention and process (say an argument between two people, or something out of the ordinary).

So . . . if you are "en femme" in a crowded mall with lots of people (both male and female) going about their business, the chances of being noticed drop as most people are working on selective attention - we humans have a finite capability to divide out attention control and most choose not to divide the attention from the salient as it is too difficult. Think about it . . . are you processing every little detail when you walk through a busy mall?

Now you are probably saying "Well Isha, a guy in a dress will most likely shift someone's attention". Well . . . you are both right and wrong. Yes some people may shift attention long enough to notice the guy in the dress (hence the reason why we get clocked now and then) but most will go on oblivious as "selective attention" is a strong focus.

There is an interesting experiment on "selective attention" using basketballs at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo if you have not done this experiment give a go but follow the instructions exactly . . . the results are interesting.

For those who know this experiment you get what I mean . . . Does a CDer really get noticed?

Hugs

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 01-17-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Ish
    Great thread. but can we expound on the reasons WHY we want to go out. I have been trying to find the answer to this for quite a while. I can understand the initial reaction of needing to do it to see what its like. But I cant understand the reasoning why you would want to continue to do it. Even knowing people are not taking any notice what is the appeal? The clothes dont feel any different (except the feel of wind around you legs in a chiffon skirt) indoors or outdoors. I have heard of validation but this is in your eyes only. You cannot know what goes on in other peoples minds as you walk past, or what they do (cameras) when you turn your back. I would love to see a secret camera taking a video of a CD walking through a shopping centre to actually see what transpires in the 360 degree arena not just the perceptive arena of the CD.
    Ill hope to find the answer one day...Ellie

Banned Read only
    That is really interesting! I don't pay attention to the people around me too much, so I don't notice how many times I get clocked. But after seeing your lovely post, Isha, I feel that i might not be getting clocked as often as I think

Thanks for the confidence booster!

Great vid too, I wont post my result because it would hurt the nature of the test, but very interesting

I think we get noticed by people we interact with, but do they care much?
    Not really from my experience.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    My advice to others going out for the first times is to go somewhere busy...probably quite the opposite of what most newbies think. Most people are so wrapped up in their own business that they do not notice and if they do, well, they do not seem to care. I really think alot of our thinking that we stick out is in our minds...

Gone to live my life
    Quote Originally Posted by KayleeTaylor View Post
    Great vid too, I wont post my result because it would hurt the nature of the test, but very interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie52 View Post
    Ish
    Great thread. but can we expound on the reasons WHY we want to go out. I have been trying to find the answer to this for quite a while.
    Hi Kaylee,

Thanks for not sharing your results. It is very interesting just how much we miss when we focus our attention. Glad you enjoyed and glad it gave a confidence boost

Hi Ellie,

Million dollar question with an illusive answer (at least for me). I guess I continue to do it because it feels right/good. The same way it feels right when I am out "en boy". I suppose there could be a part of me (my type A personality) which gets a bit of a rush doing so. I have sport parachuted for years and you would think at 50 I would have gotten tired of it but I keep going out and throwing myself out of perfectly serviceable aircraft. Can't explain why but it just feels right/good. Perhaps there is an endorphin connection mixed with a behavioral component . . . who truly knows.

You are correct though, we don't know what goes on in peoples minds when they see/and clock us in public. But for the most part I have stopped caring . . . if they think it is funny, weird and apt to laugh, that is their baggage not mine.

Hugs

Isha

Honestly Isha, I was trained to pay attention to detail from being formerly of military Intel and after that my career in the pharmaceutical industry especially in connection with process controls and CI (continuous improvement) efforts, so my senses are always taking in a plethora of data. I more or less have to tune things out to concentrate on one particular thing with alacrity. In other words, I would probably notice details in a crowded mall scenario which most would not. I can intensely enjoy the moment but simultaneously take in surrounding details.That's just the way I'm put together. I guess it could be both a blessing and a curse depending on how you look at it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    My balloon is deflated....here I thought I was successfully blending, and the truth is I was simply ignored
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gone to live my life
    Hi Kate,

I hear you, my time with my one military employment beat divided attention in to me so I spend an inordinate amount of time taking in detail. However the average person, unless trained, tends to stick to the salient. In the case of CDs, unless someone is purposely going to the mall to "clock" CDers, it is unlikely they are even looking. Get you though about the blessing and the curse though

Hugs

Isha

Good video Dr Isha
    If I ever go out now it will likely be in a nice mini skirt, boots (of course!) - all over a gorilla suit.
    I think all we need now is David Attenborough to tell us how we tell the difference between a male and female gorilla!

On a serious note I think this is a true reflection of people - I have a couple of acquaintances I meet for business about every 3-4 months - last week I was meeting them in a fairly quite hotel bar and even so, one of them got several tables past me before we spotted each other, and we knew who we were expecting to see!

Good example...
    Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Great post, Isha, but it all boils down to one simple concept that we're all familiar with - "hiding in plain sight" .

That is a great post , Thank-you !!! when people ask me aren't you worried about people seeing you? I always say most people are just so busy and focused on their errands or shopping most don't even notice or bat an eye. The way you explained this was excellent ! Giving it some thought after reading your post I would say that if I went into a few stores, mall, restaurant, walking on sidewalks or to and from car etc.. and potentially passed by 4 to 5 hundred people, I probably had direct eye contact from 4 or 5 of them, and they just usually smile and go about their business. Many years ago I had another cd friend and she explained to me that people see what they want to see. If they want to see a woman that's what they see, and many people (I'd say mostly men...lol) once they focus on something that is appealing, like a pair of legs in heels, their attention doesn't divert much from that, and find themselves bumping into someone else's shopping cart, LOL

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Great post! I love to be the fly speck on the wall and observe people, especially in public places. Some of my own observations of how, or why some one would get "clocked" are rather simple in my way of thinking. The most obvious is over dressing, I have been in Walmart and seen women dressed to the limit and every guy in the place is looking her over. A full make up job, sexy dress, hose and heels clicking on the floor is like waving a red flag in front of a bull, duh, guys are going to look. Another is someone who's face, body, looks like a 1940's gun moll dressed like a teenager. I have seen Cders out in public, I would never say anything to them. What gives them away is usually inappropriate clothing for the location, their height, then adding heels, and lastly their hair/make up. If some one doesn't want to stand out then wear camouflage, by that I mean look like every other woman in the place they are going to.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Platinum Member
    both were absurd caricatures. I didn't aspire to be either one.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    This is a great post especially for those of us who have yet taken the plunge, and I did figure something out while yes I do want to go out dressed and able to blend I think it comes down to just wanting to be part of the crowd and share Leigh with people, my male person is rather shy at times but for some reason I don't think Leigh is. I also want so bad to share this with my wife and wish she could get over her objections to it. I know that's a big leap but a girl can dream can't she?

people see what they expect to see. I was told years ago that everyone has an agenda and unless you interfere with said agenda, they don't care anything about you.

As far as noticing things in certain professions, I would like to say that is true. But being alert in a situation that can be life threatening is far different than daily life. b The drive to work is classic. Everyone thinks they can tell you exactly what happened on the drive, and yes you are paying attention but it is a habit, you do it everyday and many peopke actually place an event that didn't happen on that particular day into a story. I always wanted to believe that police officers noticed things, but they don't anymore than anyone else. And even when an event occurs, our mind processes and reprocesses it until we have a whole different scenario. What color was the person's shirt in front of you at the store today? The waitress' name last week? This is 99% of your life. Did you lock the door when you left?

I do on occasion do one thing that actually makes a person notice and no it isn't wearing a micro mini, even though I have done that and not been noticed. I smile. When you smile the person you smile at has but two options, smile back or act like they didn't see. Most are programmed to smile back. Now when you smile, they may remember that but ask what they saw you wearing...

Did you lock the door when you left this morning? Are you SURE? Now without scrolling up, what is in the background of Isha's avatar? Hell, men prove this everyday. How many times have you noticed your SO's top, hair color when she changed it, a fair number of you here don't even know her eye color (they are the color of a summer day, warm and welcoming with little flecks of laughter that dance when you smile...Hey I am good at tap dancing when needed).

And then on the other hand, most of us have gone through life being invisible. When we can dress to attract attention, we may want to do it. I always say "If I spend this much time getting ready, someone better darn well notice". Otherwise, why bother?

Did you lock the door? Are you sure?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

What should I were while crossdressed on a basketball court? Isha Interesting link I counted them correctly and saw that something had entered the picture but not what it was

Once while sat in a college class, another lecturer walked in, picked up the waste paper bin, set fire to it and walked out. Our lecturer just carried on. After 10 minutes or so he stopped and asked us all to describe the "culprit". Despite us all watching the same event, no-one accurately described what the lecturer was wearing some being way off. Eye witness statements are not all they're cracked up to be.

I saw a program on how the brain processes images and test subjects were asked to look at a screen with a street scene on it. As the subject moved their eyes, the computer changed the image by adding or taking away some object, like a bus! Those tested didn't see the image had change. It seems we only "see" as long as our eyes aren't moving. Don't ask me to explain but it's just another example of how little we actually take notice of.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

A lot of good posts here with plenty of insight and food for thought. Psych 101 for cross dressers.

"No one should hide. Women shouldn't feel pressured to look a certain way and neither should men. Giving in to social pressure is never going to inspire change. I know it's not easy, but who cares what other people think? When I go out people constantly are judging me. For my hair, my clothes, what I drive. That's what some people do, they judge. But it shouldn't matter. Everyone has a beauty inside them unlike any one else. Wear it with pride.
    (I should mention I'm a straight woman in a relationship with a CD)
    If you want to keep your CD life to yourself and vail it from friends and family, take a mini rd trip and go somewhere no one knows you. Go shopping, get your nails done, do whatever. You'll never see those people again. I'm a strong believer of living life to the fullest and no one should ever be afraid to do so.

Good luck to all the beauties here!! Be happy and stay positive. This world will change, be the change you want to see!!"

Yes another great post from Isha. Thanks!

Getting read as a CD is one thing, being recognized by someone who knows you en drab is quite another. I blend in until I actually interact, then I'm immediately read. But rarely recognized. People see what they are expecting to see.

For Real and exactly - I have stood in line to use the ladies room for 15 min., lots of people everywhere and fixed makeup at the mirror with others inside waiting for an open stall not a second glance ... but in a public place with very few people around everyone is scoping everyone else out and that's when it happens "psst, hay look is that a man/"..........................Debra

I would say on the contrary to the video shown, people do notice you rather quickly in real life.
    Usually when I go shopping for female clothes and shoes, I wear a longer male wig of good quality and glasses to change my usual apperance and still look natural. That is necessary, because I can't afford to be recognized from several meters away by people I know. With changed apperance like that l expect I'll have enough time to avoid them before they can come close enough to recodnise me. At least that's a plan and luckly I never had to test it for now. This precautionary measures are necessary, because I would have a hard time to explain why I'm trying on or to some people even why I'm buying female clothes or shoes of big sizes. The disguise also prevents people to recognise me on surveillance videos from shops, if by any chance one of them would find their way to the internet.
    Lately I also become a little more brave or reckless, depends on a personal opinion and when I go out of home town for shopping, I wear beside a wig and glasses some neutral looking female jeans and boots or flip-flops and nail polish (dark blue, beige or light silver). On those occassions I see that people sometimes notice the difference when you past them. You see them looking at you in certain way, especially when you are standing in line waiting to pay and they can see your hands and give a good look to the clothes you wear because you're standing still. But I must say, noone ever said anything to me. I was always wondering what they are thinking. Do they know I'm a crossdresser or they just think I'm gay and dress more feminine because of that.
    As a conclusion, I would say that people do notice, but usually don't care or at least don't show that to you because they're polite. Sadly it's enough to meet the wrong person only once to have problems.

Whether or not a Cd gets noticed in public is largely a function of their confidence and how well they present. As you said, most people have tunnel vision at the mall and elsewhere being focused on their needs and wants and paying little attention to others around them. You will garner more attention if you fall out of the normal range as perceived by the average person, meaning if you are (in our case especially) taller than average, or dressed very differently from the 'crowd' (think WalMartians), or something like that.
    The advice I was given when I first was venturing out was to do so only if I was say 50 miles from home where the chance of meeting some friend or relative was dramatically decreased. If you venture out close to home then you must be prepared for that chance encounter with someone you do know, who MAY recognize you. If you are not prepared for that possibility then it's best to either stay home or go out only far from it.

My first time out I was certain that everyone would know, everyone would stare, people would make comments. After about an hour of watching others to see if they were watching me I found THEY WEREN'T. It was slightly disappointing, but also reassuring. They had their business and I had mine and hopefully "never the twain shall meet".
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Miriam
    You're quite correct, Isha. But As Lorileah also said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    people see what they expect to see.
    This is what I count on even more. Unless I do something to seriously catch their attention and cast doubt, people will make a quick assessment based on general features and leave it at that. If I'm blending, this is an easy assessment. If something is obviously incongruous (a full beard for example), it stands a greater chance of catching their attention and leading them to consider more factors. But even this is a problem only if there's time to gather more details.

If you want to try this on the flip side, as I've done on multiple occasions, just take a seat at an airport, restaurant, or mall and watch people go by. You'll notice that many women have noticeable attributes that might make you doubt their gender, be it facial features, arm hair, or walk. Now it's possible a small number of these might be CDs, but really there are a lot of women who exhibit attributes that don't match up with our criteria for an ideal female. We're all used to this, and the wide latitude given to classifying people as female works the same whether assessing GGs or CDs.

We don't need to convince anyone that we're female. We just have to avoid convincing them that we're male.

Miriam