Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Came out and lost a 'good' friend.

Guess he wasn't that "good" a friend after all was he?
    A friend will stand by you no matter what and be there when you need him. All others are just friendly acquaintances...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Sorry for the loss of your mother.
    Several years ago when my mother passed, I did some of the same life evaluations.
    I have changed some things, and other things I have learned to just deal with.
    One of the thing I have change is coming out to friends and family, well most of my family.
    I only have a few friends and they don't know, but if they do find out and have issues with it, then I
    will really know how good of friends they really are.

Good friends will be by your side no matter what, True good friends are rare and very special, you will know who they are.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I’m very sorry to hear about your Mother and you have my deepest sympathy, a Mother’s passing is one of the sadder events in our lives. A long illness doesn’t ease the pain of our loss but it does help us prepare for the inevitable and avoid the shock of a sudden and unexpected loss.

Well, I look at it a bit differently, I don’t see it as losing a good friend, I see it as finding out the person you thought was a good friend was in actuality a bigot and a shallow imposter when it comes to friendship. Better to find out now then later when you are in need of a good friend, a friend you can count on – only to find the person you were counting on to have your back isn’t there for you.
    Babs

Silver Member
    Sorry to hear about losing your friend. It looks like we're still a very long way from general acceptance. Your experience is much the same as mine: acceptance from women, not so much from men. Unlike you, I haven't even considered coming out to my male friends. I just know how badly that will go.

Keep the faith. There will come a day when a CD attracts no more negative attention than anyone else. And you will have true friends that will not abandon you when you try to come out. As Dan Savage says: it does get better.

Actually he's already done a bit of a back peddle and says he has no problem with what I do but I'm pretty sure I shocked him and could have handled it better. He was the first friend I ever had that had the guts to tell me when I was being stupid and harming myself. I was moping over the loss of a relationship and he just basically told me to stop feeling sorry for myself as it wasn't doing me any good and to draw a line under it and move on. It's easy to find a friend that agrees with you all the time but one who cares enough to give you a bit of a wake up is harder to find. So I'm leaving it alone for now. It's true that I broke his expectations of who I was and that's an important lesson to be learned for the future. I need to be more myself and not so much being the person I think someone will like.

Thankyou everyone for the sympathy about my mum. I loved her very much and she was a fantastic female role model.