Thread: Taming the pink fog . . . what's your tactic(s)??

Taming the pink fog . . . what's your tactic(s)??

Those of us who have been CD-ing for any length of time know all too well about the pink fog. At first it's an all encapsulating euphoria -- narcotic and somewhat hallucinogenic in it's effect; yet, it quickly becomes destructive. In your mind the fog says, "Yes, do attend that homophobic redneck, neo-nazi rally fully enfemme. They'll surely accept you!! How could they not embrace your diversity, your courage, your quest to be yourself and fight for your beliefs just like they are?"

Well, maybe that's a little radical as an example. However, I've found myself in pink fog situations and in the early days the fog always won. "What will I do with 300 pairs of panties you ask," I once said to my wife, "and all those hundreds of pairs shoes . . . all those cute, adorable, to-die-for and oh-my-God-these-were-featured-in-Style-magazine and these-in-Lucky-magazine shoes. . ."

Luckily, I have a supporting and encouraging spouse. One who, by the way, borrows my stuff. She says I have a far better fashion sense that her and my love of couples spa time make same a real Romeo.

Anyway, over the years I've developed techniques to control the pink fog and to keep it from getting the best of me. Granted, I still slip up, but I'm much better than when I started this crazy lifestyle thing.

My most effective tactic is vetting my thoughts though my spouse. That she's supportive helps, but she is not shy about calling out a fog moment. As for shopping, I do mostly on-line now. I put everything in the cart, and then save. I wait 48 hours before revisting and finalizing the purchase. I find that time is enough to let the fog fade, and on the cart revisits I often look at the price tag and wonder what I was thinking.

Now, I'm curious what works for you? Spouses are welcome to weigh in, too. Again, my wife is my greatest shield in the battle with the pink fog so ideas from the SO's are much appreciated.

I *love* that you have a spouse who "is not shy about calling out a fog moment"! she sounds wonderful.

Patience. I remind myself that slow and easy wins the race. I don't have to do anything today. I can do it tomorrow or next week or whenever. That buys me a little time to cool off and gather my senses. This method has kept me from quite a few regrets. The funny thing is that it doesn't just apply to the pink fog. It can apply to any number of situations. There's a very good reason I don't own a timeshare or a boat or a motorcycle.

Nope.
    I finally realized that I am a transgender person, and even though I don't plan on transitioning any time soon, I am who I am....and this is not going away. This is a situation my next mate is going to have to deal with.

On the bright side, I am an awesome cook!

Platinum Member
    I don't feel particularly foggy. I don't allow myself to spend in excess and don't take foolish chances. But I do recall the initial thrill of realizing that I could actually dress up, present as a woman and experience life. Now, it's my everyday experience, just part of living, albeit a part I greatly enjoy.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I like your shopping cart idea....i kinda do the same thing...i just save the links...and i wait...and i wait.....sometimes I wait so long the item is out of stock when I finally decide I REALLY want it

A variation on that: I put everything I want in the shopping cart or online cart, whichever the case may be. Then I count the items and put back or delete exactly half. I have used this tactic in both Sephora and Harbor Freight.

Gotta go now, Victorias Secret is having a huge sale

Thumbs up

Ive done a lot on Auction sites and when they arrive I wonder just exactly what was I thinking of at the time. I like the cart method, perhaps thats what I will try in future.

Hey guys - I'm new here and had never heard the term 'pink fog.' So funny: this is exactly how I spent last week. I must have placed 15 orders in 3 days. Each day I found myself off to a new store. I could hardly think of anything else!

What a trip to realize this is so common. Why I love it here!

Just to chime in here - I have to keep a sharp eye out for the creeping Pink Fog. A therapist once told me - "It’s like watering a plant" “The more you nurture and indulge your fem. self the more she will insist on emerging and even taking over." I have always cherished that advice as it helps me remember that I need to work to keep a balance. It’s not easy.

Many of you will disagree with this technique I suspect but - I tend to collect dresses (I love prom dresses from Henris.com and uniquevintage.com) and other accoutrements. I keep my girlie things in a medium gym sized duffle bag. About 2 times a year I sort through the bag and purge anything that will not fit into one bag.

I keep my makeup and essentials and enough to know that I can dress for fun or even an event (I have only been to 4 events in the last 5 years) It’s always hard but it always helps – it does creep back but the act of semi-purging keeps me to a simple control level.

Silver Member
    Budget. Everyone needs a budget, regardless of their hobby or interest. This is not just about budgeting money. It is more important to budget your time. Keep track of your time and make sure you still do the other things which will keep you well-rounded (friends, working-out, career).

Rules. Establish rules for yourself - closet space; schedules; activities. You can change these rules - but you will feel better having them and you will have more control.

Find someone you can talk to. If your crossdressing seems to have become compulsive or overwhelming, it is likely that there is something else going on in you life and you need the help of a friend or support group or even therapist.

As you know when driving, fog slows you down.

I always went anywhere at 100 miles an hour.
    Always too active to worry about any colored fog.

I encountered a dark grey fog once but that was from the truck in front of me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyDarling View Post
    Just to chime in here - I have to keep a sharp eye out for the creeping Pink Fog. A therapist once told me - "It’s like watering a plant" “The more you nurture and indulge your fem. self the more she will insist on emerging and even taking over." I have always cherished that advice as it helps me remember that I need to work to keep a balance. It’s not easy.
    These thoughts are not new, In the movie a Beautiful Mind the Russell Crowe character is asked a question about his delusions, and his word were to the effect, "it depends on which one I listen to". An Inuit hunter was asked about his sled dogs and how he knew which dog was his lead dog. His answer, "that depends on which one I feed the most". It's all about balance and it's not easy, I guess that is why people pay to watch a tightrope walker.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    The fog seems to have no effect on me anymore. I'm retired, unattached, and free to dress as I like whenever I like. I get out regularly and all my days are sunny and clear!

It is tough - and over time seems to be stronger. When the fog hits me hard - I try to immerse myself in work and family more.... also find that an out of town dressing session helps to ease the stress

Being quite new to the realization and acceptance that I enjoy crossdressing, I have not developed any techniques of my own and appreciate the hints.

Lol, I love this term "pink fog". That happened to my this past Christmas while doing my shopping online for family gifts, I decided to get myself some nice girly gifts and bought a complete outfit, sexy boots, leggings and a dress and it did come out pretty expensive but it was worth it! Except for the dress, it was WAY too small. I wear a Women's medium and this thing wouldn't even fit one leg! More like an XXSmall. It was from American Apparel and i've found their sizes to be on and off. Another dress I bought from there fits like a glove. But I will try and remember to do that waiting trick before checkout next time!

There is really no sense of urgency for me any more, especially since I've been retired. It's totally my choice of whether to dress or not and I am able to take my time doing things. This puts me in control rather than the CDing process. The pink fog tends to circumvent our natural cautions if we allow it to but it no longer has any power in my life.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    To me the best way to deal with it is to maintain a sense of balance between the facets of who I am. Without balance, we all go off kilter, sometimes to our detriment.

My pink fog is usually under control until my depression asserts itsself. Then it's game on.

Great responses all. Looks like we have a mixed bag of methods, and some who are in full control already. I must say that I do not want to be a girl full time. I like begin a man, and I enjoy feeling like a real girly girl at times, too. I try to make room for both and hence the battle for supremacy will invariably rage on occasion. Anymore I've learned to recognize the signs of an ensuing struggle and have developed coping skills to keep things in check. Candidly, I think I allow small victories to go to the fog. That seems to help keep things in check, and I end up with some more adorable panties or some really cute shoes (in limited quantity that is.)