Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Labeling you as an Oxymoron

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar

I'm Labeling you as an Oxymoron

That's right, in recent weeks and I guess forever I've noticed that everyone here has a problem with the "crossdresser" label, or the "transvestite" label, or the "transgender" label, and so on. It seems that everyone hates it when they are labeled by someone else.

However, we all label others without a second thought. We all, and I mean ALL, label things that are outside the norm. Gay, black, white, mexican, blonde, old, etc... A people can accept a stereotype or a label, but a person might have trouble with that same label.
    We(humans) have a brain that is designed to seek out patterns, to make sense of the chaos that is our world.

My point, labels are just that, labels. If someone labels you why not prove them wrong rather than just calling them a "Labeler".

Any thoughts?
    Links must comply with our rules
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Oxymoron. Is that like an idiot who cleans up really well? I like labels, crossdresser, T-girl, call me what you like. Just call me!

I know a guy who is a welder, he is quite stupid.
    An oxy moron.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    Booo! Really bad pun, sounds like something I'd say also though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Briana, I've just got to say that not everyone here views "labels" as something to be offended by. I know I certainly don't.

I agree that some semblance of order is achieved by identifying categories and grouping others according to their differences and similarities.

I see it as a celebration of variety. Life would be a bit boring without it.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Good point.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Labels allow for the pigeon-hole effect to take place, but we don't have to stay in that box! Some will get offended by labels, but I say just shake it off, and move on. The more you make light of labels, the less effect they will have on you. So, I say, "call me anything, but don't call me late for supper".
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

My stepfather was an ichthyologist/taxonomist so I guess you could say he had a PhD in labeling. You wouldn't believe the fights they had over whether some fish was a new species or just a variation of some existing species. Does it matter? Well, if the government wants to build an enormous dam that threatens this particular fish's habitat, then it makes a huge difference whether it is a rare sub-species that only exists downstream from the proposed dam or whether is just the same as some species that is ubiquitous. These decisions are more political than scientific. The anti-dam folks want it to be a rare sub-species and the pro-dam people want it to be the garden variety kind. My ichthyologist can beat up your ichthyologist. It's the same here. People have reasons for their particular taxonomy and "objective truth" usually isn't one of them. What's important is knowing where they are coming from.

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    I'm legally Marci, so my label should be girl, and I love being called that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

Come and talk with me ;) Briana90802's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    ... "objective truth"...
    Well if this term isn't a cotradiction in terms I don't know what is. I agree"tomato, tomato" it's all in how you look at it. But really what I'm saying is one-on-one a person can be persuaded to see that CDer is a CDer or a trandgender person and not a pervert or tranny or whatever. I doubt that can be done with mob mentality.
    Links must comply with our rules
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Most who insist on the use of labeling others most often have a hidden agenda. Buyer Beware and One size does not fit all.

I'm as big as an Ox and have been accused of being a moron so if that combines to Oxymoron, OK. But I other wise I'm a crossdresser or transvestite and happy. Moving along I can also assure you I'm not trans or any other gendered but male. My actions of dressing in the clothes I like and enjoy have nothing to do with my gender, but have affected my sexual experiences over the years and hopefully keep on until the end. Labels, titles and names are for one simple purpose, to identify a person, place or thing. They only affect me or you through our own values and interpatations. So I guess I can't be defined as a oxymoron, but sometimes a hypocrite may fit, even though I try not to be one. Stuff Happens!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Just too much for me. I just want to wear women's clothes and try my hardest to look sexy if only too me. Label , don't -whatever -JJ

Aspiring Member
    There was a time when I was 10 years old and the CDing really took off. I did not know what to call me. I am going back to that time.
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 01-22-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before your post.

Banned Read only
    So, I am a Goddess, yet nobody will call me Goddess Jorja except a few horny guys online. What's a girl to do? I guess I'll be happy that the guys online will call me by my correct lable and get on with my life.

Banned Read only
    It's pretty obvious that some here despise labels. Others merely dislike labels. And then there are those that don't care either way.

BUT... there are SOME that happen to like labels or want one or need one. Nothing wrong with wanting a label. For those that DO, here's a few more for consideration:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/......&highlight=

Gone to live my life
    I'll say it again . . . Labels are for soup cans not people

Seriously though, labels, taxonomy, naming or whatever is used to bring order to chaos. It would be quite confusing to go around saying "Hey can you hand me that shnibby thing over there . . . no not that one but the other one" or "Hey did you see that thing the other day by the other thing"

If having a label, term, name gives you comfort and helps to bring order to chaos, then embrace that. However for me, a label is just that a name and while it may apply then again it may not.

Hugs

Isha

I've had so many labels in my lifetime, I've lost count. I've been called four eyes, tin grin, pizza face, lefty, southpaw, shorty, and some labels I even gave myself. I believe those labelers do it because they don't have much empathy for those of us who might be somewhat different. I also believe that many labelers have low self esteem and tag others with labels to boost their own egos.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Hiding or denying a label = being ashamed of how others see you !! Got something to hide..Avoid being labeled..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Banned Read only
    I just enjoy wearing women's clothing once in a while or sometimes more frequently. I try not to label anyone as most people really cannot be put into a pigeon hole. Last year while I was speaking to a counselor (nothing to do with cross dressing or sexuality) I mentioned my son-in-law was African American. The counselor who I had been seeing for more than three years was amazed that I had not mentioned before that he was African-American. I said he is a highly educated wonderful guy worthy of my daughter, who happens to be African-American. Why should I mention it. It was immaterial to who he is. The counselor happens to be black, although not African American, but, why should that matter either.

Putting people into pigeon holes tends to exclude people.

I bought a brother label maker and I love to label anything.. Watch out, especially if I open the pantry...E

Platinum Member
    The terms themselves are quite clearly defined in the literature and most of the problems result from carelessness or ignorance. There's nothing inherently wrong with cross dresser, transvestite, transsexual or transgender. It's not the labels, so much as who chooses them. A person may define themselves as white, hispanic, asian, black or mixed, similarly may prefer CD to TG, or further redefine their identity as fetish dresser, middle path or pre-OP TS. When other people affix labels on us as individuals or as groups we are more likely to take exception, because those labels may not match those we've chosen for ourselves.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    Labels , What labels ?? WE don't need no stinking labels !!
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Briana90802 View Post
    Any thoughts?
    All MTF's are considered transgender. Doesn't get much easier than that and does away with all the label issues. The general public won't get confused by us either.
    Last edited by Marleena; 01-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    How about " Look at that Transvestite man wearing a dress. He's going to Red Lobster to eat "Jumbo Shrimp"