Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what is "normal"?

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar

So what is "normal"?

Within so many of the threads that I read, I see words like weird, normal, etc, but many of these words seem to be fluid. By saying fluid I am meaning that they vary according to a personal prospective, or interpetation. We can get dictionary definations, but how many of us check the dictionary before using a word, or how many words evolve into something else over time. So what is normal, the best I can come up with comes from thinking about another persons tag line.

"Normal is what you get when you adjust and compromise for all the quirks that everyone has".

Some say that Cding is weird, I prefer to say it is a quirk, a peculiarity of behaviour. We all have quirks, some are just a little more out there than others!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Banned Read only
    Normal is conforming, at least externally to the expected range of behaviors of the cis-gendered heteronormatove society in which we find ourselves. And CDs are still FAR outside the range of behavior that is considered acceptable. Normal is the society that punishes non-conformity.

Normally I would agree with you Gillian but then that would be kind of quirky in itself, no?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    My normal is different from yours. Yours is different from anybody elses normal. I don't care about societies version of normal, because they are too content on assessing labels, hedging people in, putting people in corners because they are different on some level. Why do we try to subscribe to that sort of "normal"? Id much rather define my normal for myself. Because what has societies normal done for me lately?

There is no real normal... I am so not normal on more levels than just my proclivity to want to look like a girl!

My taste in music is not normal. My favourite movies are not normal. I don't actually want to be normal!!!

Normal is boring. Normal is average. Normal is mediochrity!!!

I'm unique - you're all unique. Let's just be ....

Wild...? Where's Wild? I need some shouteys not smileys...
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

There is the subjective normal and the objective normal. The subjective normal relies on the eyes ( and opinions ) of the beholder for meaning. The objective normal can be quantified. Therefore, CDing, being TG and gender fluidity is normal because it has always existed. Just like being left handed or having musical ability. I am not equating these traits with transgender behavior or feelings because the jury is out on what really happens in the X/Y chromosome game of musical chairs. Not sure of my point. The people who can only handle "normal" are the ones who need help.

Banned Read only
    Normal.

For a MAN, it's to be able to LOOK at "attractive" [to them] females or simply FEMALE appearing body parts and be able to "get ready" at a moments notice. Until approx. 45ish for most men. [I am using THIS very Forum for a guess at that #] This has been going on for likely hundreds of thousands of years and is not going to change anytime soon.

Pretending that we have some control over it OR can change it is simply a denial of wellllllll established behavior and FACTS.

I'll even throw in a second definition. "Normal" is living one's life precisely the way THEY choose to and not endlessly worrying about what others are thinking or what they might say.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    we are normal....everyone else is weird.......

If you get 1000 people that are all the same and one that is different then the one that is different is looked upon as not normal. That is the way of the world.
    Its when that ‘one’ is looked upon by the rest as wrong or perverted or in need of help to conform to the norm that the problems begin.
    Is CDing wrong or abnormal? No. But try telling the other 1000 people that.

I agree Normal can mean a lot of things to different people but weird is still weird

Banned Read only
    @Suzy1 - yes, and it's easy for the other 1000 to eliminate the one, for the purposes of "harmony".

@Adriana - the "normal" world is so broken that it's just tragic.

Normal is in the eye of the beholder.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Normal is subjective. We are all normal to our own standards. I consider myself normal as I do all of us here. Who am I to judge others.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Nice pic's Kendra.

Part of this whole thought on what is normal is partly based on a deep seated thing within many of us to fit in, or be normal. I have come to the point of realizing that I am a fringe person, and the best way to "feel normal" is to find other fringe people to be with. In my younger days I did spend alot of time in the arts community, being active in social issues, and being involved with political movements. Today, not so much action, but more words than anything.

Suzy made a good point, the problem is in how we handle the one who is different. I wonder if our ancestors had handled the different one the wrong way, how much art, philosophy, prose, or poetry we would have today.

Katey has good point also. Maybe I have too much mediocrity in my life, so I need some spice to make things more interesting.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

One of the best things about being NOT NORMAL is it's usually pretty easy to find others who are not normal in exactly the same way you are. MTF and FTM CD's are perfectly normal in places which cater to them.
    With perhaps the exception of the bearded kid in the photos I posted I'm sure all those other people have friends who are into their weirdness too.

Normal is so over rated...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I tried being normal..................Longest 5 minutes of my life.

That being said, I have never tried to fit into any "normal" molds.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

"Normal" is a city in Illinois. It is a suburb of Bloomington.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I have always struggled with what is normal about my dressing so many times.
    Just the other day I was thinking about how women wear pretty much whatever they want and no one says a thing but see a guy in a skirt or dress and you think the world has come to an end. It kinda made me angry.
    So for me to dress when I do is it normal for me, I've started to blend my wardrobe at times and don't always wish to be fully dressed as a women so for me I'm started to think I'm normal for me, not for some but for me.

It is pretty hard to be normal so I'll settle for average.
    Chickie

There is no such thing.......as normal. Normal is an illusion. Most people who think they're "normal" are in denial of being "weird" in some way. Everyone is weird in some way, we all have our little quirks. Some of us are more "weird" than others. But I like to keep it weird. It would be really weird if I was completely "normal", so this becomes one gigantic paradox. Geez
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

There is no such thing as normal. Because everyone is different and everyone has there own illusion of normal so we are all weird in are own way

A line at right angles to a given line or surface.

In a room of 10 people, 9 are cross dressers and one is not. Who is normal in that room?

Katie

Normal is the middle section of the Bell Curve. Also known as average, common, or ordinary, "boring".
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.