Thread: Came Out to Primary Care Doctor (Fun Times)...Warning a Bit Long

Came Out to Primary Care Doctor (Fun Times)...Warning a Bit Long

Howdy everyone,
    Up until yesterday I had only shared my crossdressing addiction/lifestyle/personality with my VA psychologist in person. I see her after getting sick in the Middle East and she helps me deal with chronic pain from the military days. That experience was nerve wracking yet so freeing and fulfilling last year and it's led to some wonderful developments and growth sessions with her.

At the encouragement of my psych doctor, I shared Kristin with my Primary Care Dr at the VA yesterday. She thought I should get a hormone blood panel and a referral to an endocrinologist to see what my options might be within the VA system if I choose to pursue HRT. I've been seeing the Primary Care Dr for over 8 years and besides showing up with shaved legs, I don't think he'd of had a clue.

So about halfway through the appointment I let it out......I like to cross dress, I've been doing it on and off since 1993, dah dah dah.......oh, and I brought a powerpoint collage with 10 pics showing some of my different outfits just to show you I'm not blowing smoke.....would you like to see them I ask? This was very awkward for me since I'm very shy anyway but I'm glad I reached out.

His response......."If you were to walk past me on the street, I would try to get your attention and smile at you because you are very attractive. I'm a heterosexual but you are really attractive. I can't believe how feminine you look!" He knows that I'm an athlete and outdoors person with a military leadership background so this was quite a curve ball for him but he handled it very professionally. He mentioned he and I are about the same build.......5'9" and 160lbs........wonder if I got his dressing wheels turning?

That was not what I was expecting for sure! It's one thing to share pics online and seek style tips and makeup suggestions, but to have someone give me face to face feedback was pretty scary. It was such an uplifting session since I wasn't seeking out a compliment from him, I mainly wanted him to see how serious a part of my life dressing is and if he thought I was close to looking like a lady.

We ended up chatting about hormones, hair removal, sharing this part of me with my spouse and other topics. I was thankful and proud of his reaction seeing that he's there to serve vets and responded in a way to help me pursue my real self.

Just wanted to be a bit of encouragement for any of you that haven't shared with anyone. This was only my 2nd face to face share and has convinced me to keep moving forward with the real me
    There are people in your circle that will support you and understand.......it won't be all peaches & cream but I'm seeing if we reach out, there is a support network.

This was one of the pics I shared with him in the collage.........it is one of my favorite casual outfits and one that I've worn out at night sneaking around
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KristinTX; 01-24-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Wow, Kristin, that's quite an uplifting story. It made my day.
    I would expect the psych. doctor to be so objective, and you have the primary care doctor working for you too.

I told my doctor about me and CD. She wasn't cool with it but won't help me in any way. She has left the state and I have a new doctor plan to tell him the next time I go in and see what he says.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Kristin,

That is uplifting and really positive- what a great experience for you and good for you to share with us.

There is hope for our world yet!

Katey888 x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Thanks for another example of someone putting themselves out there in spite of your fears and being met with a positive response. Also, that's a great "just another woman out in public" outfit. I'm also 5'9", 160 lbs and that's the kind of look I try to put together.

I am happy things are going well for you!! You look cute in the picture!!!

Thanks for your feedback everyone.......always nice to hear positive stories.

Glenda: sorry you had a negative experience but glad to hear you're getting another chance with a new doctor!

Kristyn,
    I share the doctors view, you do not have to sneak around at night.
    Do it in the daytime
    Looks like a nice outcome anyway.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thats awesome Kristin! It would scare the jeepers out of me to tell the V.A. doc that, even it is probably my best option..

My VA psychologist knows but I haven't told my PC. I wonder if i should.
    If you wake up in the morning; See a sunrise; You name is not in the obituaries (long story); You see a sunset; Then its a good day. All the rest is superfluous B.S. (Bad Science).

I have an ear you can bend and a shoulder you can cry on.

I'm working on my Ph.D. in "Alternative Wardrobe Explorations"

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phylis Nicole Schuyler View Post
    My VA psychologist knows but I haven't told my PC. I wonder if i should.
    Phylis - No need to tell your PC doctor unless there is a need to an unless you want it recorded in your medical records which could wind up anywhere today in spite of HIPPA and privacy laws. It is good your VA psychologist knows.

Welcome to the boards Robin! Nice to see another Texan along for the ride.

Phylis and Heather.....I asked my Psych to keep our conversations about dressing out of my records and she has honored that (I saw the Progress Notes while working an appeal.)
    I also asked the Primary Care to keep it on the down low and he agreed. Even ordering the hormone panel blood work he can generalize around his request he said. I've been with him for 8 years I think and he's a nice & trustworthy guy so far.

Silver Member
    Great. I wish you the best. You do look terrific and happy.