Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could, who would you come out to first ?

If I could, perhaps obviously my darling wife...

But that closet door is bolted, barred, latched, locked, padlocked, chained, alarmed, deadlocked, battened, dogged.... well, you get the picture...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

My former girlfriend, who at the time disclosed to me that she was a Lesbian and that she didn't mean to hurt me. I comforted her by telling her that it was all right and that everyone carries some sort of secret in their lifetime. I would like to have seen what her response would have been if I had disclosed my secret.

To my family.

My SO would be first, possibly sister second, but if things didn't go well after telling the SO it wouldn't matter.
    Everyone else that matters would be told by her.
    A quote from Dr. Seusse (sorry not sure how he spells his name) "those that mind, don't matter, and those that matter, wont mind".
    I wish I knew this to be true.
    Muuch Love,
    Kristyn

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    My wife first.
    After her I have no clue.

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    Knowing what I know now, I wish I had come out to my girlfriend first.

My Wife (she knows), my kids (they know..ish), then my brothers and sisters, the friends. The secrecy and having to hide everything is a wearying thing.

Banned Read only
    I came out in this order:

1. Myself
    2. Making new friends at a TG support group
    3. Therapist
    4. Mom - very unsupporting
    5. Daughter - she is 9 and she is very happy for me
    6. Rest of family - only 1 family member will talk to me now
    7. Male Facebook - nobody friended me on my new FB account, my male FB account has now been deleted
    8. Neighbors - sort of, they see me sometimes as Kaylee and sometimes as the other guy.
    9. Everybody else, friends etc.

I lost a lot of friends and family, but I gained a lot of new friends, family and a support network. I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out I have accepted the fact that the people who I lost were never really in my life to begin with and I am better off without them.

So far I have come out to wife, about a dozen friends, therapist, psychiatrist, mother, sister. I am going to tell my two daughters who are 16 and 21 in April. Someday I hope I am all the way out. My 11 year old son does not know.
    Suzanne

Gold Member
    I think some of the sequence can be affected by opportunity instead of plan. My son, mother, and siblings don't live within 2000 miles of me, so they don't know yet. I went something like:

1. Myself and my wife (pretty much advanced with her knowing every step)
    2. Friends
    3. Two daughters
    4. More friends
    5. Niece and nephew
    6. More friends.

Nothing negative yet. Some cherry picking of who to tell and some luck sure helps.

Now it is time to plan the son, mother, siblings, and in-laws.

The first person I came out to was a friend well along in her transition ;o we talked a lot and I ended up blurting out things, that I never said to anyone else before. Before long I talked to my girlfriend about it and stopped hiding from myself shortly after

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Came out to my wife almost two years ago - April 2012. We agreed that she could tell her sister, so that she had someone close to discuss her feelings with. Apart from me that is.

Told my three sons. Youngest two were told on Christmas day, just after dinner. My eldest son was told on 6th Jan. Didn't sit well with him at all but we will be meeting soon for a beer, so that will be sorted one way or the other. All of their SOs know too............and a myriad of others now I'm sure.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk