Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: addictive?

Banned Read only

addictive?

Just thinking tonight because if hot tub and beer (corona to be exact).

I have a highly addictive personality. Yes, Vanny has an uncanny back to go to extremes and to obsess.

Just curious if CDs in General have addictive personalities.

It would make sense to me but calling me normal would be the equivalent to jumping off the ground and into the air and claiming I am closer to the sun or some other such non-sense!

YOU?

Vanny

Hmm, I don't think I do, but I've never been evaluated by a professional. The most I think I can say I even come close to being "addictive" with is my CD'ing (although it isn't a continuous drive) and computers.

There is a long history of addictive behavior in my family; siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.
    I personally don't seem to have caught that particular gene.
    After a few years of therapy in which my dressing has at times been the major topic, I have finally come to the realization that it just part of who I am.
    I may be a bit compulsive in my dressing at times, but addicted, no.

As usual, your results may vary and items in the m]irror are closer than they appear.

Shelby

I've got to focus on balance.....lived in Las Vegas and learned how quickly some entertainment options could quickly become addictive.........i'm a little obsessive, compulsive....yes.

Does that explain the growing quantity of shoes & boots in my collection?

Normal, no I am not and I accept that as a cross dresser I am not main stream. I suspect that is why so many in society have a problem with us; men wanting to be in ladies clothing and being as feminine as possible or physically male people wanting to become as physically female as possible is not common and is not in the experience of the average person. Difference makes people nervous, nervous people strike out!

Addictive nature; yes my whole family is given to drink and drugs by choice unless replaced by religion or in my case being a CD. Those of us who have beaten drugs and alcohol (self medication) are all taking various prescribed drugs for depression and anxiety which conditions I am given to understand are often genetic.

Addictive, yes, one can never have too many clothes or shoes. Came to Vegas with one suit case and going home tomorrow with two. Use to travel with a back pack and a change of undies. Who knew!

Cross dressing has been the best thing to happen to me in so many ways with the sole exception of meeting and marrying my SO.

Banned Read only
    Addictions? Not this CDer although some might accuse me of being a Sugarholic. I also have an affinity for sunshine and documentaries.

As far as the BIGGIES? Alcohol, tobacco and drugs? NEVER took any of them up - a very nice byproduct I think of marching to my own beat once I started attending school at about 6. Never felt the need to have to do what others are doing just to fit in and be accepted.

Os of course. [compliments of Mother Nature so I don't count them] and I have no trouble dealing with the side effects...

I have addictive tendencies. Throughout my life I go head first to excess, whether it be hobbies, partying, smoking, whatever. Really something I have had a hard time controlling. Had a bout with severe depression over the holidays and partied (drank) to excess. It is now back under control, nothing for the last couple weeks. Smoking has gotten up to 1 1/2 packs a day, again, from being a long term non-smoker. My quit date is tomorrow and I am going to use support groups and the patches and lozenges. Hobbies are another story. As long as there is money in the account, I keep buying items to support them.

Bobbi

I've wondered about this, Vanny, I think I'm on the periphery of slightly obsessive...

Obsessively secretive - yes

Obsessive collector - sometimes, some things...

Obsessively competitive - sometimes, some ways...

Addicted to anything - no, not really (other than the obvious! ) - but I'm incredibly strong-willed

Probably low overall - unless you include my addictive charisma...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Addictive nature, oh ya! SO always worries, I take everything too far. As I get older I find it easier to control myself. Xdressing is my new fever, SO thinks I'll be transitioning before you know it. Calming her down has helped to slow me down. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Love KristyE

I don't think CDs are any more likely than the rest of the population to suffer from addiction.

No more than the rest of the world, in my opinion.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Not me. No addictions or other compulsions. No history in my family either. It doesn't mean there's not something deep down being filtered out, though.

Not addictive really. I just do what is necessary to keep going.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I don't believe so in my case either.However,I do have a strong will power.

I don't think so. But then I don't really have an addictive personality. If I did, I would be addicted to just about everything.
    As it is, I'm only Addicted to nicotine. The dressing is just who I am, it just completes me.

Addictive personality, maybe a little bit? OK, maybe a lot. A times in my live, I've been given to party pretty heavy, never saw a thing wrong with good food, and good drink, just never knew how to tell when it was time to go home. Of course tobacco, and then, I collect things, lot's of things, all kinds of things, with out rhyme or reason, it just needs to catch my eye.
    Then there is my cross dressing, and manly the shopping that goes with it. When times are good and the money is there, I shop, I love the feel of new clothes (comes from to many hand me downs as a kid.) and I never ever throw away anything. I have closets full, space bags the ones you vacuum the air out of, many of them under beds filled with clothes that don't fit, that I may be back into some day. I'm not a hoarder, but I hang on to way more than I should, and while I don't need anything, I still love to shop. it's addictive!
    Last edited by Tina B.; 01-25-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Gone to live my life
    I believe that CDers can be prone to addiction just as anyone in population can be but I don't think it is the route cause. Addictive personalities tend to place themselves in harm's way and can be self-destructive at times . . . I know, I know, that can easily be transferred to CDers but the same can be said of anything we do which can be dangerous (e.g., extreme sports). The point being is that addiction can be moderated with support groups (e.g., AA) and those involved in those groups work toward abstinence. I don't think the success rate (given the amount of stories about purging and returning) would be as high with CDers which leads me to believe there are more complex underlying causes.

Just my two cents and I could be completely off base.

Hugs

Isha

Yes i defintaly have an addictive personalty. I love whiskey yet i havent had a drop in 35 years i hate beer so i drink that. If i start the whiskey i wont stop till it is all gone beer i can have 3 or 4and then done. KNowing that i am this way i have never tried drugs of any kind.

Interesting. Question , Both my parents 3rd generation alcoholics , I am not. I often wonderd if my cding was linked to some kind of co- dependancy issue of some kind.

Aspiring Member
    Actually you have touched upon a subject that has been the object of some scientific interest.

An article titled: "Transvestic Fetishism in the General Population: Prevalence and Correlates" claims that cross-dressers are more inclined to a host of other sexual addictions.

There are also books that make similar claims: http://www.amazon.com/Transvestite-A.../dp/1626463255

Personally, I do not smoke, drink alcohol, take drugs, or play golf. Other than cross-dressing my only other addiction is diet Dr. Pepper.

GG/SO of a CD
    Luca is not addictive, he is compulsive. Its a behavior that hits him in all aspects of life. Money, CDing, videogames. He has a thought, and then he needs to act on it. I think its hard to generalize between all CDers. I assume many are "addictive" many might be "compulsive" But I dont really know?

The reasons for an addiction developing are certainly present in a lot of CDs. Secrets, questions of self identity and self worth, obsessions and more. It isn't the act of CDing that is the real problem, it is the things we are trying to escape from by dressing. Again, this isn't every CD, but probably more than actually care to admit.

I am addicted to nicotine. I am not an alcoholic, though I could easily become one if I allowed myself to - I never met an alcoholic beverage that didn't taste good to me (well - except retsina - I don't think that stuff tastes good to anyone, even the Greeks, though they claim otherwise, as a matter of national pride). There is a history of alcoholism on my mother's side (her siblings) and my father was what I would call a "functional alcoholic" - he never missed work, or got nasty, but he had at least two drinks nearly every night and often more. I tend to get into things in depth - but when I get to a certain level of expertise, I become bored with them, and move on to another interest. While engaged in any pursuit, I become totally absorbed and very focused. Even as a child, I was like that. If I was reading, BOMBS could have gone off next to me, and I would not have noticed. I suspect that is one of the reasons I am a good musician, and a good engineer. Does that kind of focus qualify as an addiction or an addictive personality? I don't know. Possibly, I suppose, but I prefer to think of myself as someone who is always in the moment. I am a walking Zen Master. .
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

I don't know about CDers in general,but I have a very addictive personality.If I like something,I can't get enough of it.That's why I have to avoid alcohol all together.It's all or nothing.Good thing I never messed with drugs!

I have an addiction to people and bad choices. I always seem to find myself in a sticky situation when it comes to my addictions.

A hot guy or fellow CD in hot tub with a cold beer. I hear my addictions calling me, JUMP IN!!