Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you are walking down the street dressed and

Banned Read only

So you are walking down the street dressed and

Your work colleague is walking towards you on the same side of the street...
    What would you do?

Smile and wave...
    Chickie

Launch myself into orbit most likely. Or I would try to act as unsuspicious as I normally do, assuming it's a colleague I don't want to let in on my little secret.

Smile and act as if everything in normal

If they were one I was out to I would greet them. If it was someone who I wasn't out to, I would just give a casual hello like any other polite person walking by someone and just keep on walking.
    Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I.

Turn off my phone so that it does not ring when he/she calls me.

Walk by, nonplussed, just like you would normally walk by someone you have no idea who they are.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Depends who it is - either smile/wave or pretend I don't know them and keep walking.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I encountered this situation a couple of times when I was not obviously dressed but I had my large forms in. I got good at smoothly removing my forms and putting them in my bag while walking

In early December, I saw one of my ex co-workers in a grocery store while I was obviously dressed. But obviously dressed is what I do now. He hadn't observed me when I saw him, but I realized that if I ducked away then the sudden movement would attract his attention. So I bucked up and called a hello to him, he said hello back, end of encounter. I wouldn't have chosen him to be one of the first to see me, but when you're trans you either play the hand you got or you hide in your room. (I have since seen two other ex co-workers, one of whom I was fairly sure would be fine with me, and the other falling into my "Oh, what-ever!" category. I'm not sure that last person even noticed my appearance even though I spoke with them for at least 5 minutes.)

Gone to live my life
    Depends on the work colleague. If I am out to him/her I go over and greet them (after all Isha is a lady). If I am not out to them, I continue walking . . . running to the other side of the street or dodging behind a car will only draw attention IMHO.

I had an actual experience which I related in another post of such a happening. I was walking out of Starbucks (en femme) and ran right into a very close friend of mine. Him and I have been on several combat missions together and shared personal space for days on end. The last time we were together we were calling indirect fire onto our position before we were overrun. So we know each other very well. So I take a deep breath and continue walking as diving behind the chairs would look odd besides I was in a skirt. He walks by me, gives me the standard "guy checking out a girl" up down look and walks right past me. WHEW! So I quicken my steps, exit and head to my car then I hear "Hey wait a minute!" . . . it was him running toward me. CRAP . . . so I turn and wait for the "Dude WTF moment" All he says is "You dropped your glove miss" hands it back and walks away . . . go figure.

Hugs

Isha

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    oh. yeah! That's why i stay indoors....
    (I knew there was some very good reason)

Love that one Isha, classic.

I would just continue walking on, and don't respond if my male name was called. This mainly applies if you are dressed fully, as I have noticed that quickly seeing the resemblance between the two modes is not that easy.
    Look for before and after/male/female photos of people, most of the time you have to look very closely.

I'd be happy I was dressed as being naked would be embarrassing!!!! : P

Early on in my transition, before I was full-time, I was at a store looking at some earrings when I heard my name. (this was before I legally changed it and my old male name was not a common one at all!). My blood ran cold and it was all I could do not to turn around. Eventually I repositioned myself to look and clearly the person calling out the name was speaking to someone else. whew!!!!!

They would never recognize me..And I have tested that countless times over the years..But "vehicle recognition" is quite another thing!! lol
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I wouldn't worry too much...I don't look even remotely like my male self when dressed, BUT that doesn't mean that I'm passable, just unrecognizable. OTOH...Like Rogina said, the vehicle is a dead give away.

Danger! Danger! Will Robinson.

I usually take cover and wait for it to pass.
    It has happened to me, I doubt if I would ever be recognised but evasive action is always prudent.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I would probably be saying to myself:"Hmm, now this should be interesting."
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I would say hello Jim, as I always walk down the street dressed. If I didnt Jim might say "Hey Steve you havent got any clothes on".....Ellie

That's probably the main reason I don't go out and about in my own city. And that I do wear big movie-sized sun-glasses if I'm in a risky area.

But if the situation would occur, I would not make eye-contact, grab my phone, block the view of face and keep on walking.

Because of my long hair, I have often heard friends and colleagues say that they have seen a woman that could have been my sister.. so I will just use that as an excuse!
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I'd have a hard time suppressing a giggle as there's little chance my male identity would register since everything about Tina is so very different from my male self!

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    I'd just act like I belong where I'm at, and not give a sign of re ignition on my part. Most people these days are so self absorbed it'd take me walking down the middle of the street in a hoop skirt to be noticed.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Whenever i see one of those 'end of the world' type movies that
    show a big city with no people anywhere, the first thing i think is that
    i could go into all of those stores and try on any & every thing I like...
    with No problems. Take the clothes home too! Free makeup!

I have no idea why i thought of that....

If it is day time i put on my sunglasses and never speak, smile or make any gesture they would recognize.
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

Had to laugh with Aprilrain, would rather be dressed than naked. Either one would be a scary situation.

If your end goal is to one day come out and be open to all people, and, depending on how great is your desire to do that, then you may just bring those plans forward to "beginning right now". It may actually be easier to begin with someone with whom you do not have an established personal relationship (e.g. work or school associate).

It may also help to be at that time of life when you have developed a healthy "I no longer care what people think." attitude.