Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you learn to sew?

How do you learn to sew?

I bought my wife a nice sewing machine, and she never uses it. I'm honestly considering learning how to sew...but where do you start? How (especially as a guy) do you learn how to sew?

Most learn from their Mothers or Grandmothers but they do have classes and at home courses to learn.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

It's hard to 'tell' someone how to do it...There are several books on the subject though, in addition to internet resources. I only know how to cross-stitch and make throw pillows though. I never got the hang of sewing machines but I've really wanted to try

If you bought it from an independent dealer, they sometimes give lessons. One local to here gives I think 3 or 4 free ones if you buy from them. One important fact my GF told me, needles wear out. One large garment is about all you should expect from a needle. After that, they get blunt, and makes it harder to do good work.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

I had no experience whatsoever. I bought a basic machine. The manual is easy to understand. My public library has an incredible stock of sewing books. Now YouTube has videos that will show you what you need step by step. It seems intimidating at 1st but when you make a skirt fit exactly the way you want, you'll enjoy dressing even more.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Hi Jennifer! ♥

It came with a manual...you need that.

The first few pages tell how to thread it
    and install needles, set the tension.

Once you know that, it's easy to just trial
    & error it a bit and you get the idea of what
    happens really quickly....there's nothing
    like just doing it to see how easy it really goes.

Also it came with a little box of various parts...
    needle threader, various sewing 'presser feet',
    ...the manual will list them and why you
    need them & what they do.

You'll need a yard or so of fabric...and any fabric
    place will know what to sell you for learning.
    Tell them you're just starting and ask what's the
    easiest to sew fabric they have. Nothing
    stretchy to begin with...(knits/spandex/etc)

You need some scissors....that you Only
    use for cutting fabric. About $9. Fiskars
    with an orange handle are fine.

It won't cost very much to get going, and
    just practicing making the various types of
    stitches will tell you a lot.

Most of what you need to know is in the manual.

It's got endless possibilities once you get just
    even a little bit of practice. On a first day, you
    can easily make a nice little purse....or a few!

~Kate~ ♥
    Last edited by Anna H; 01-29-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    The Michaels craft stores and i believe Jo-Ann fabrics offer classes for beginners

There are many how to videos on youtube, you might find a useful how to on sewing.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Its really not that hard. You can find any number of books for beginners. Get yourself an inexpensive basic machine to practice on. Start with simple patterns (easy sew) and use crap old sheets to cut up, pin and practice on. You can do it, trust me
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

It only seems intimidating at 1st. there's that sharp needle & the noise from the machine. Once you put the 2 layers of fabric in place & get it started, presser feet move the fabric for you. The machine does all the work. That's when it becomes fun. I wish there had been YouTube when I started. Just type in "how do I do this..." & someone will show you step by step what you want to know.
    You ask how a guy gets started? Actually a lot of guys like operating machinery.

the local fabric stores around here have a board, sometimes people post offering lessons, or you can post asking for them too
    Jamie Dee

For me I I've memories of my mom laying out patterns, cutting cloth, piecing everything together and finally sewing everything together.

Bit for me, it started with with the attitude of screw it! I'm gonna teach myself to sew. It has a been real cool experience with lots of mistakes. I own those mistakes and you know what? I get to throw them out and learn from them.

Start small and then layer the skills up to what is your goal.
    Last edited by ossian; 01-29-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: tyos

I'd like to recommend a way to sew that requires no experience. I.ve noticed posts in the past complaining that todays slips & nightgowns lack the beautiful laces from the past. Fabric stores have a gorgeous assortment of laces. You can apply them to the bodice & hem by hand. All you need is a needle & thread! No skill required!

I took home-ache in high school where I learned to sew. But couldn't remember how to when I got home lol. The hardest part is knowing how to thread the machine.

But I think they have classes at AC Moore and Joanne's fabrics. And I know some Boscov's has classes too. Or you can look up vids on youtube.

And I actually know alot of guys that can sew and maybe 2 girls and thats including my grandmom lol.
    Well no one should question why you are taking sewing classes. If you are nervous of that, The guys I know are wrestlers and make their own gear because it is closer. Plus I know single dads that do it.

~GG

My mother raised four boys, and firmly believed every child should know how to cook, sew, iron, and clean house.

She started me with her machine when I was about seven or eight. The first thing she taught me was how to make a flat folded seam. She had me make bandannas from old worn out skirts of hers. First, she had me iron the skirt so the material was flat. Then I had to cut out the bandanna with pinking shears, so the edges wouldn't ravel. Next, we folded the edges in and ironed them. After that it was on to the sewing machine, and learning to sew in a straight line.

The hardest part about learning to use a sewing machine is learning how to adjust the presser foot and thread tensions so that the interlock occurs within the fabric, and the foot does not pull or create tucks. Start with plain linen or denim - the legs cut off an old pair of leans are great material to learn on. That material is easy to work with and fairly forgiving.

When I was in the ninth grade, she had me make a short sleeved, button down collar oxford cloth white shirt and wear it to school. YOu KNOW I wasn't about to mess that up - the kids would never have let me forget it, if they spotted it and knew I had sewn it. LOL

I make all my own skirts, and have on occasion made blouses, but I hate doing buttons, so usually buy blouses ready-made.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I had my grandmother's Singer Featherweight for years after she passed away. What a fabulous machine. Very simple, one stitch, one speed, and no reverse. It was perfect for seam repairs and adequate for most anything I wanted to do. A couple of years ago I wanted to modify some elastic shapers and realized that I needed a zigzag stitch. That led me to a search for a more talented machine. An electronic Pfaff with a walking foot filled the bill perfectly. Sewing machine heaven! Sold the Featherweight for a goodly sum also. Turns out quilters prize them for their portability and simplicity!

Learning to use it was simple. Read the manual and experiment. Find something that needs repair and repair it. Many of us here are still men way down deep with certain mechanical skills that just seem to come naturally. It's just another machine.
    Last edited by Lynn Marie; 01-30-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Ladies who sew...I guess some of you are familiar with the
    inexpensive universal walking foot attachments. About
    $20 and does make a world of difference for lots of projects.

Look it up on google...it's well worth having...and there are
    versions that fit most common (lesser costly) machines.

I'm as pleased as i can be with mine...

Practice and patience. .. And get someone to guide you in the right direction if possible.
    Start with something very basic, like making small pillows, then work your way up.

Just get two small pieces of material and sew around three edges.
    Turn inside out and you have a little dilly bag you can put your makeup in.

You do have to learn how to thread the sewing machine, operate the controls, put the foot down, and do not operate heavy machinery whilst under the influence of alchohol.

One last warning keep your fingers away from the needle, you do not want to sew your hands together.

Piercing the ears is done quite differently.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I used another new invention, the inter web, to find sewing classes in my area. Once you get the basics its pretty easy, you can then add to your knowledge with youtube videos and by talking to the guys and gals (mostly gals) at the fabric and sewing machine stores. The biggest thing is not to buy a crap machine! you will hate it and lose interest. Brother, Janome, Bernina, and Juki are a few that are worth buying. everyone knows Singer but unfortunately the new ones are crap. Expect to spend $500ish on a good one if buying new.

just out of curiosity did your wife ask for a machine?

I bought her a 150 dollar machine from Amazon that had awesome reviews. Her mom has come by before and loves the machine, and she did work with her a bit. Oddly, despite my wife very much being the homemaker in terms of taking care of the house, she seems to just not like to sew (or shop, but that's another story).

To answer your question, she had hinted that she would sew more if she had a machine, but my wife is a spendthrift and won't pay more than 50 dollars for anything unless it is groceries. I end up buying the things like cell phones, vacuums, cars, etc., because she would save money and then wind up with a piece of junk.

not quite your question, but buy good scissors! The difference you will get is well worth the money.
    Don't ever let someone use them on paper believe it or not, it will ruin the edge and you'll have to have them resharpened

I bought a Simplicity pattern, some material, pulled out the wife's sewing machine, once I figured out how to thread it, by following a simple pattern I've made two skirts, and I've made a vest, but tops are a bit harder, still haven't gotten up the nerve to try one of those yet. First skirt was a bit rough, but the second one came out pretty good.
    It's fun learning, and feels very girly to sit and sew your own skirts and things.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

heehee....I love trying on stuff as I'm making it.

Quote Originally Posted by rachael.davis View Post
    not quite your question, but buy good scissors!
    your so right!