Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drag vs. Drab and incorporating them both in to your everyday attire

Drag vs. Drab and incorporating them both in to your everyday attire

Since Nov. I have been slowly incorporating women's attire within my male clothes. I first started with underdressing, then added pants, then a shirt, and then socks. I would wear a men's shirt and jacket on top to hide the clothes underneath. I recently bought a women's jacket that looks neutral and got rid of the men's shirt on top. I'm now down to just wearing men's shoes. I'm now looking for women's shoes that look neutral so I can incorporate them. Which at that point I'll be completely dressing full time.

My question to everyone is if there is anyone else that incorporates both drab and drag attire (excluding underdressing) when going out in public or work? Do you incorporate any type if accessories within your appearance i.e. earrings, rings, braclets, necklaces, painted finger nails, etc. What kinds of reactions do you get, if there are any?

I'm looking to get my ears pierced, but feel reluctant because I don't know how it would look on me in male mode and how people would react. I would also like to paint my finger nails other then clear polish, but I'm not sure how people would react, especially work and the families I work with.

Billie Jo - that's an interesting approach - fully dressed but no-one would really know...

But I can understand why - and you are right to be sensitive to how others would perceive you, particularly in a work context. I think it's important you continue to be sensitive in that way. I've worn rings since before I was married, but never earrings, although I think studs or subtle rings would be widely accepted (3" hoops, probably not..) - and painted nails would just be a bit of a Goth look, no? As long as they weren't scarlet -something more subtle - but again, keep your sensitivity in mind. It's not worth risking a job for.
    I'm on the lookout for some casual boots I could wear - perhaps just a shortish 2-3" inch heel - with jeans. I have worn heeled boots out a couple times, but only when it was dark with few people around - still a nice feeling - I'd just like something I could wear anytime.

Good luck with your search -let us know how it goes.

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I used to blend a lot of things. I had earrings, rings, bracelets, trouser socks, shoes (slip ons), Jeans

No one noticed or said a word
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

About half the time I'm in women's jeans and sometimes women's slip-on shoes (no heels). Both stealth because of work and dadt.

been to shops after dark on occasions with leggings and boys t shirt (normally black leggings but a couple of times with leopard print) as I couldn't be bothered getting changed from what I was wearing at home.
    Often wear girls skin jeans
    I'm under the impression people just think I'm crazy
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    This so-called "stealth" dressing (read that at a few other places) is
    what i do these days.

Women's jeans, t-shirt and work shoes....and I'm fully dressed
    everywhere i go. My ears are pierced and nobody ever notices.
    My hair is long, but tied back in a ponytail, i don't stand out.

I'm in a rural area that's Not-at-all cool with anyone CD'ing...so
    it must work better than i think, because nobody ever said anything
    --and they would where I am.

I may wear one earring, but both...not here. I do use a pink colored
    ponytail band...but if it's been noticed, i do not know.

I'm not much for jewelry when I'm out, (but I am when I'm in!) so
    that doesn't add any potential problem for me.

I think you're in a far more progressive area than I am, so if it works
    here...(people at McDonalds for lunch wear 14" bowie knives)...then
    you're good to go as far as light accessories/pierced ears I would
    think.

I'd push it a little further, but I Do need my behind intact. I don't
    want to play with too much fire where I am....

Banned Read only
    Here is my "drab" look. All androgynous women's clothes, but with super girly hat, gloves and scarf. Oh and my nails always have some sort of design on them.

I got more "looks" when I tried dressing really androgynous, but over-the-top girly without attempting to present female, nobody thinks twice
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    Billie - I have started doing this recently and love it.

By accident, I left on some eye makeup a few times that I thought I had removed. I missed eyeliner, both above and below my eyes. Another time I had a subtle smoky eye look from residual mascara. No one said anything and I did not know until my wife finally tipped me off. She seemed to enjoy it and was impressed that no one ever said anything - at the movies, shopping and dining out. I have recently used subtle eye makeup and blush at night - I like it - and it is fun to do.

I have started to wear my femme jeans and like the cut and feel and look and knowledge that they are made for women.

The most fun has been my shoes. My wife actually encouraged me to wear a pair of my female boots with jeans when we went to the movies one night. I wore a longer pair of boot cut jeans and my boots were not noticeable. I then wore a higher stacked heel, almost 3 inches, spent hours in a mall, running errands, dining out, pumping gas. Felt great. We actually went into Nine West at the mall and bought a pair of black boots to wear en drab.

No seems to notice or care - except me. My drab attire is spiced up - maybe drab plus or Heather-lite.

I'm incorporating more and more feminine clothes into my drab wardrobe. Take today for example...

Underdressed with a cute pair of panties. Wore size 8 skinny jeans and a gray woman's turtle neck. Went out shopping and to get my oil changed. A little eye shadow and mascara finished the outfit. I hardly ever wear guy jeans anymore and seem to be wearing more and more women's tops as well.

So much fun!

Over the last several months I have gone out many times in various outfits. A couple of times with stuffed bra and womens jacket, but mostly with light eye makeup, blush, light colored lipstick, eyebrow liner. Womens tops that present fairly androgynous, like mock turtleneck sweaters, polo's, even if they are girly colors and khaki or white ladies Dockers. I've had a few looks, but wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not. Twice I went through a drive through with filled bra, crew neck sweater with large horizontal stripes and a cardigan on top and didn't even get a strange look. But, one time I did that in normal makeup. My male hair was the only male presentation. When I got to the window I was greeted by three teenage girl workers that stared and giggled. I just giggled back. It didn't really bother me and I was as amused as they were. I think that unless it is really glaring, most people don't notice. I have been so surprised to go out in a filled bra under a sweater, wearing an androgynous ladies jacket, even open a few inches and the only person that seemed to notice was a male SA, who gazed at my chest, then gave me a knowing smile as he gave me a receipt. It's just so thrilling and fun!

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    Panties 24/7. I only wear women's jeans-low rise bootcut, knee high socks...bright neon or cute patterns, shaved legs and armpits, women's sneakers, and I just discovered how comfortable it is to wear a cami under my shirt (have to buy more of those!) Oh yeah, Secret deodorant and an occasional spritz of perfume or VS body spray.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Been doing that for quite a few years and no real problems.
    You think everyone will notice but they don't or just don't care.
    If you do it step by step your friends will get so used to it it makes no difference.

Banned Read only
    Yeah, just do it already. It's so awesome You will feel a lot of relief and happiness. Get out of your rut, be true to yourself.

Being a civil engineer, the "uniform" is khakis, oxford cloth blue shirt and Navy blazer or a down vest. I buy all my khakis from Lands End Women's clothing, and the same with oxford cloth shirts and my down vest. No one has ever noticed that the buttons, snaps and fly are all fastened the "wrong" way. My vest is black, and except for the snaps being opposite from men's, and the slight darts around the body, looks just like male clothing. For shoes, because of OSHA regs, and because I often have to go out on work sites on short notice, I (and, for that matter all the GG women in the office) wear standard heavy work boots or safety toe oxfords. IN the summer, I substitute polo shirts for the oxford cloth long sleeved ones. Women's shirts, for the most part have no breast pocket, but that does not matter. I started carrying a coach leather bag when I was in college, and a pipe smoker, and have never bothered to switch. The only difference is what is in munine now. - Which makes me think I should start a new thread - What's in your purse,. and what kind do you carry?
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Yep ... me too. All of my clothes in boy mode are women's but they are subtle in style and color so that they don't stand out too much as too girly. A typical outfit for me is underdressing with bra and panties, women's fitted jeans, a slightly scooped tee or long sleeved tee in a neutral color, a plain colored hoodie, girly ankle socks, and white tennis shoes. I wear all of these to work and no one has said anything to me. Outside of work I change the color of my tee to be more girly and I usually wear a hoodie that has a somewhat girly pattern on it. I also add a quasi girly baseball cap and gold stud earrings.

I enjoy presenting as a girly guy as I think I'd go insane if I had to wear only men's clothes. I have a supportive wife who is ok with the way I dress.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billiejosehine View Post
    I would also like to paint my finger nails other then clear polish, but I'm not sure how people would react, especially work and the families I work with.
    Funny you mentioned that particular subject. My crew, one male, one female, and myself (kinda straddling that gender line) discussed the topic of nail length today. Longer nails appearing feminine, while short nails were decidedly masculine.

I merely said, "Well, it's not the length that matters... it's whether or not they're wearing nail polish".

I don't do any outside the body wearing of the women's clothing when out side the farm.. I do under dress a lot. It's usually though panties, hose and painted toe nails. I do have a few silky tops that I get away with by wearing them under my regular work shirts of course they also help in the colder weather. I have painted my finger nails from dressing in the mornings and not wanting to have to remove it went to the farm. I would keep my leather work gloves on the dash board of my pickup to grab and put on if I saw any one driving that way. I can always grab a set of fencing pliers or throw a few bales of hay with the gloves if someone should drive up and they would never suspect my nails are painted if I was out working. This is about all I ever do on the outside unless I go on the back porch of our house which I have fully dressed but neighbors are a long way away. Being near a smaller town I must remain a closeted but adventurous cd.

Funny that you should post this because that's what I've been doing over the years. I've been looking more androgynous and my friends chalk it up to me being "metro" for the most part. Some tease me a little about it, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Except for work where I have to wear a traditional suit, I wear relatively little men's clothing these days.

You know, after reading through this thread I suddenly remembered a comment my ex-wife made a couple times while her and I were together:
    "What's with all the guys wearing women's jeans, lately? It's like a new fashion trend or something..."

Hmm....

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Being happily unattached allows me to dress any time and go anywhere I like. So that really takes the compulsion and obsession out of CDing. When I want to be exotic and erotic, I get dressed enfemme. Otherwise boy clothes are comfortable and just fine!

Oh yea, been doing that for quite some time now. I'm slowly phasing out men's clothes all together. I always underdress and all my jeans and shorts are women's. A lot of my tops are now women's and most of my shoes too. People don't even seem to notice that most everything I wear is from the women's department. I've even worn capri's and flats and still nothing.

After a long day at work I got to see my kids for a little bit at the ice cream shop today. I was in full women attire except my shoes when my ex walked in to the ice cream shop with the kids. As soon as she sat down she kep staring at me and did not say a word. After a minute or so the first thing she ask was if I was wearing makeup, which I was not and proceeded to tell her I was not. She kept staring at me and asked if I was having problems at work and that it was obvious I was wearing eyeliner. Now I did put on eye liner yesterday, but I washed it before going to a men's group and took a shower this morning. So if there was any residue no one has said anything to me and no one was staring at me either. She had to also make a comment about me wearing clear nail polish and women's pants. Her comments did not phase me and she is the only person that is having issues with what I wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiejosehine View Post
    I'm looking to get my ears pierced, but feel reluctant because I don't know how it would look on me in male mode and how people would react. I would also like to paint my finger nails other then clear polish, but I'm not sure how people would react, especially work and the families I work with.
    I had mine pierced long ago after deciding I needed a new look in guy mode. It was in the middle of the mall at a small booth, done by a teenage girl. I'm quite sure people looked but I didn't care. Once I did it, my wife told me how she had been trying to convince me to do it for years. Strangely, I didn't recall her doing so and never hesitates when I mention I need a new pair.

As it stands, they aren't an issue when in drab. In fact I like wearing them most of the time. If you are concerned about the reaction to them in male mode, I guess it depends on where you live: it's not an issue and nobody would think twice about it where I'm at. I can even wear them at the job I will be starting soon. My family doesn't seem to care, either. They know it's still me.

You definitely won't regret it if you get it done

I usually underdress with panties and sometimes a bra. Once in a while I'll wear a skirt but mostly women's jeans. Sometimes I'll wear heels as well, but not often and I always have my toe nails done. I usually don't wear a wig unless I'm wearing makeup and all women's clothing.

Billie,
    Looking at where you are located I don't think any one would care.
    I have been dressed androgynously a lot there, and people do not bat an eyelid.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.