Thread: So, something funny happened at the store yesterday....

So, something funny happened at the store yesterday....

So, in trying to be more manly I decided to go to Wal-Mart and get some men's body wash. Not a big deal, I know, but I felt like smelling like cherry blossoms and lavender while CDing would kinda be a giveaway.

Anyhow, I go to Wal-Mart at about midnight and I think that I want to get some Axe Snake Peel since I've used that one before and it has a wonderfully manly, clean scent. I get to the aisle and after looking for a bit, can't find it. I ask one of the women stocking where it might be and she tells me that it's sold out and asks why I wanted it. I feel a little embarrassed to tell her the truth and so I say that it's because of the little beads making me feel super-clean after a shower.

She then proceeds to point out an entire row of women's body wash that has these same beads. I hedge and explain that I liked the Axe smell and she keeps trying to get me to look at the women's body wash, which I refuse to do.

By now, I'm horribly embarrassed and wondering why on Earth I've managed to find the only super-helpful Wal-Mart employee in the world when she smiles and explains that while the Axe body wash doesn't have a brand with the beads in it she would like it if I showed her my purchase after I decided which one I wanted so that she could tell 'others like me' which they would prefer and then told me that there was a sale on men's pants until the end of the week!

It was really cool to meet someone like that, but a bit nerve-wracking. On a slightly related note, what body wash do you guys use? I picked Axe Dark Temptations and Apollo.

I have become a big fan of the Nivea Men's platinum body wash.

At least she finally got the point and that is the important thing Len.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I usually change brands.
    But since I only use Axe deodorant I might as well try some Axe body wash now.

I prefer the smell of the Wolfthorne smell of Old Spice. I've tried Axe, but I don't exactly like the smell. Its a weird smell, although some Axe products don't smell bad like Apollo as you said. I still prefer Wolfthorne. I like how it smells. Lol that's awesome you had a great employee help you out. Nice employees seem a rarity nowadays lol. I, on the other hand, wouldn't have been embarrassed. XP be proud of who you are :P just because you are you and you are special. And hey, if they judge you then that's their own problem. No one asked them to judge XP so why should it be any of their concern to how you live your life.

Elivs has left the.... Katie_Did GG's Avatar
    I had to smile just a little reading your post. I kept seeing this embarrassed young man out doing some late night shopping at Wal-Mart. A real learning experience no doubt. Just a blunt, "It's for me," and the sales person is clear on your needs and you're golden.

Best of all you get extra helpful information like the pants being on sale. Kudos for you for being yourself and stepping out of your comfort zone while doing it.
    What a profound significance small things assume when the one we love conceals them from us.
    Marcel Proust

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Heh, great story.

The last time I used gender-specific cleaning products was more than 25 years ago, I think, when I used one of then then-current Men's Deodorants. I had to give it up: the aluminum chlorhydrate was clogging the pores in my underarms, encouraging bacteria to flourish and heat my underarm hair. Aluminum chlorhydrate is in most spray deodorants and some of the "stick" deodorants as well; a lot of people have problems with it. It acts to close up the sweat pores to keep you from sweating; but sweating under the arms is one of the few ways to eliminate toxins (lymph nodes are nearby), and when the pores are stuck shut, Things breed there. :straight:

I use Pears glycerin soap, Johnson and Johnson Baby Powder, Lady Speed Stick "Dare To Wear Black" deodorant and Jessica McKlintock "Silk Ribbons" moisturizer. (I shave in the shower, using a shaving brush and the Pears soap).

But, that said, everyone's body chemistry is different; your results may vary.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

I used to use dark temptations at one stage, liked the smell, then switched to nivea for men 24h and 48h, they are quite nice too. But now I only use nivea for woman, and am very happy with it.

PS: There are many woman out there that prefer mens deo, I had a gf that used it, and my mum only uses mens roll on, for most of her life.

What you buy is your buisnes, and nothing to do with anybody or salesperson. Who says its even for you???
    It is the 'guilt' or im doing something wrong thing that is in your mind that causes all the stress.

What about a gf buying her bf a pair of boxers? Or guy buying lingerie for his gf.
    As soon as its for YOU, there is a mental thing that make your world come to a complete stop. Funny thing, us humans are.

Banned Read only
    i used to use bar soaps (any1 which was available) but my gf forced me to use body wash gels, i really like nivia products but ever since i broke up with my gf i'm back to bar soaps though and i really hate using scrubber on my skin

PS; Real men use bar soaps
    Last edited by rah; 01-31-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    Just don't drop the bar of soap

Yep, and they don't really care too much about what brand it is. A manly smell doesn't come from soap, it comes from what the man does!

Eau de Carburator Cleaner leaps to mind!

I can understand the dilemma, though. I've been in the reverse situation. I think that the FTM could play the "it's for my SO" card easier if they were so inclined.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I laughed out loud when I read this! My main reason for using body washes instead of soaps though is because I hate the film that it gets on the bottom lol I always end up wasting more soap than I use ^_^;

Quote Originally Posted by LenGray View Post
    ...My main reason for using body washes instead of soaps though is because I hate the film that it gets on the bottom....
    Then the fault is with your soap holder. Get one that holds the soap on edge and doesn't keep the bottom in a puddle of water.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...aL._SS325_.jpg

(Problem solving, it's a guy thing!)
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I am a MTF heterosexual CD-er but love to smell good in male mode. I use Ocean for men from Bath and Body Works. Its a bit pricey but I believe if you buy the deodorant and body cream you save a bit. (Something like $30 total)..

Teresa: I've used Ocean before! It does smell wonderful but is currently out of my price range lol Right now, I'm working on my wardrobe and binder and all of that wonderful stuff. Perhaps later on, my budget will be more forgiving and I can try other things but until then it's Wal-Mart for me!

Eryn: Lol You've proven it, Amazon does indeed have everything! XD So that's why it gets that film on the bottom...

Gold Member
    Ahh good ol men's products. Packaged in blue or gray bottles.
    Don't forget that if it's scent you are concerned with - there are plenty of colognes and aftershaves. Not sure if Stetson is still around.

And like Eryn said - if you are going out as a woman and saying it is for your husband, it will be way easier to get away with. Everyone knows men hate to shop.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Never count out soap on a rope, it doesn't get the film on it and you don't have to worry about dropping it lol.

Well, it appears as though I'm going to have to stick with Dark Temptations. I tried Apollo for a few days and started getting angry-looking red bumps all over me. I've been taking medicine and that's helped. So far, I haven't had a reaction to the other one though.

Nicole: Stetson is still around actually ;P I don't care for colognes or aftershaves but I might consider it Haha, I'm a horrible liar! I usually just blunder my way through the truth or don't say anything at all At least it keeps me honest...

geek: lol I'd forgotten about soap on a rope! XD
    Last edited by Raychel; 02-04-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: discussion of medicines not allowed, Sorry.

Yep, soap on a rope my fine buckaroo. Think I have one here somewhere from the "stone age".
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    So that's why they invented soap on a roap lol
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]