Thread: Selling the presentation

Selling the presentation

What is it that really "sells" our presentation in your opinion? Of course equipment is important such as clothes, wigs, makeup, etc. but I personally feel that what really sells it is our determination, mindset, moxie and comportment. If we have convinced ourselves, that is about 95% of it and the rest is history. This applies to being both en femme and en homme.Being a kind of magician who employs the art of misdirection, slight of hand and smoke and mirrors doesn't hurt either.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I agree. It's all about looking and truly feeling the part. And confidence is a must! It may take a while to build, but don't be afraid to be yourself and show your fashion

Mindset and a bit of overbearing confidence does help.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I put a lot of effort into my hair, makeup, and wardrobe, but at 6'3" I pretty much stand out. Super self confidence and a friendly, fearless, and outgoing personality ease the pain on those I meet! What else can a tall girl do?

Banned Read only
    Lynn nailed it....

Bravo

Self confidence will take you a long way Kate. The more we have the greater the excitement, thrill and magic when being our feminine self.

I also think the wardrobe is a big part of it...if I am forty, I shouldn't wear what the 20 year olds are wearing; the clothes make the woman - or can allow people to make the woman more easily. Dress the part, act the part, live the part, breath the part. ;-)

Platinum Member
    I don't entirely agree. A confident manner can help, but it can only go so far. If you don't care if you're being read, then being read doesn't matter. But confidence is not a cloaking mechanism...well chosen clothes, foundations, make up and hair, combined with appropriate mannerisms may aide in the disguise.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'll sell you mine for $500 girlfriend!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

No disrespect but actually it's about one and only one thing. Looks. That's true for GG's so why shouldn't it be true for TG's. I'm not saying one has to have the looks, personality and voice of a GG. That's impossible. I'm not even saying one has to be 'passable'.

But I submit, if you're likable, sexy, charming and desirous in your own unique way then confidence is automatic and you don't have to sell anything. They're tripping over their feet to get to you.

Attitude.How you feel about yourself and how you present yourself via your attitude.

Banned Read only
    Kim,

I couldn't agree more, but without confidence and such... all the foundation, makeup and coiffing will not carry you out of the house to act and take the risk...

And that applies to me because I am trying to get out again... so I am literally the coward now, that I was not before. Solid point

Vanny

It's easy to fool anyone when they are under my spell.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    I put a lot of effort into my hair, makeup, and wardrobe, but at 6'3" I pretty much stand out. Super self confidence and a friendly, fearless, and outgoing personality ease the pain on those I meet! What else can a tall girl do?
    Agree Lynn ... apart from the causing pain in those I meet. Its a package deal with a large dose of being comfortable that I'll be read and enjoying dialogue even with a male voice. Smiling a lot gives off a sense of happiness and evokes similar responses in passers by.

Quote Originally Posted by CDAshleyAnne View Post
    I also think the wardrobe is a big part of it...if I am forty, I shouldn't wear what the 20 year olds are wearing; the clothes make the woman - or can allow people to make the woman more easily. Dress the part, act the part, live the part, breath the part. ;-)
    Totally disagree with the need to dress age (60+) appropriately. I dress to please myself. And my femme dressing age is still in my 20s.

Kate, I have to say what sells is confidence and self acceptance. Not all women are perfect tens but they give off a feminine "aura" that there is no doubt that they are females.
    Yet there are plenty of us that can look the part and then some. But with out the confidence and the "aura" we're pegged right away. As for me, I'm physically not to passable, but I think I've developed the confidence and am still working on the vibe. Hopefully I can leave enough people guessing and have been treated very well, wherever I have gone.

I think that most of us have an unreasonable fear of being "made" when we first start going out. We seem to think that everyone around us is focused on identifying and humiliating any TG person they encounter.

The truth is, of course, that the vast majority of the people around us could care less about us. They are engrossed with their own issues and know almost nothing about the TG community beyond the absurd portrayals in the media. Once we realize that, our self-confidence and therefore our presentation improve, along with our enjoyment. Rather than have every outing be an experiment in simulating femininity I have found that they became just something that I do. I find it easier to interact with the people around me and i no longer worry about their exact perceptions of me. They might be thinking "that's a man" but it is more likely that they are thinking "That's a tall, not-so-good-looking woman." Whichever it is, I'll never know and I'll be treated the same so it doesn't really matter.

For example, the other day Mimi and I were going to meet friends for dinner. Knowing about an upcoming "gift with purchase" deal at Lancome we decided to stop off at Macy's and pre-order some merchandise to get the goodies that we wanted. In the past I would have been very hesitant to interact with the salesgirl, thinking that she would read me instantly and I'd be embarrassed. This time it just felt normal to select the items I wanted and she didn't bat an eye as we chatted. Normalcy is a great feeling!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    I once tried to sell my presentation. The guy wanted to know where he could pick up his bag of potatoes.
    Last edited by Jorja; 01-31-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Eryn you stated what I feel better than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Rose View Post
    Kim,

I couldn't agree more, but without confidence and such... all the foundation, makeup and coiffing will not carry you out of the house to act and take the risk...

And it is for that very reason that so much discussion of fine details on here doesn't matter. You have to put yourself out there..gotta test yourself..Those of us that are out everyday,do it with confidence...and that comes from experience..there is no shortcut..Put yourself out there and own it!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

When one looks as bad as I do, nothing really helps...

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Kate,

Good question . . . you always have great questions. I think we are talking about a few things here when it relates to "selling" the presentation:

1. Selling to have others believe you are a GG: This relates more to looks, mannerisms and behavior along with confidence and appropriate wardrobe - if it looks like a duck, acts like a duck and walks like a duck it is likely a duck. This would hold true for those who are trying to pass or blend.

2. Selling the presentation to yourself: This relates more to what is important to you so looks, mannerisms and dress may not be that important. You do however need confidence in yourself, a healthy self esteem and most of all, you can't be afraid to get read.

I prefer to blend and in some instances my height and frame allow me to do that quite well but I hold no illusions that my face will get me read immediately. I am at a place now where I don't care what others think. I am a guy dressed as a girl (plain and simple) I try to blend and live under the radar and if that occurs, good. If not, then tough, accept me for who I am. In my case I prefer to engage in a normal manner so Isha will talk to others, look up and meet the world head on . . . If I sell the presentation to others, great. If not, I am selling the presentation to me and that is all that really counts in the end

Hugs

Isha

Banned Read only
    Be yourself, have confidence in yourself. Own it, act natural, wherever you are, whatever you do, you belong right there - you have the right to be wherever you are just as anyone else does.

Dress how you want, whatever makes you feel the most comfortable and confident - wear that. This is a biggie, there is no standard on how we should dress, as long as you are not being an exhibitionist or breaking any law - wear what you want. I am sure that I fall outside the norms for what most CDers wear. I don't like dresses, I very rarely wear skirts, I don't like pantyhose, I don't like heels, even so I still feel pretty and I feel right.

A lot of great responses here. Thanks everyone.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Confidence!!
    Demonstrating that you are comfortable with who you are, where you are and how you are dressed creates the best image in my mind.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Having a positive attitude and carrying yourself with confidence is key....Melissa.