Thread: Can anyone recommend a good psychologist in Oakville, Ontario or west GTA?

Question Can anyone recommend a good psychologist in Oakville, Ontario or west GTA?

I think it's time to try and see if something can be improved about my wife's difficult relationship with my CD desires... For her sake as well as mine. Not very likely but it's worth a try. It's a difficult situation, no doubt familiar to many here, and although there is no rejection and there is understanding and love on her part, there is no acceptance either, and as much as I want this not to happen I can't help feeling the urges and can't just suppress this part of me. Over the years there were some experiments which were fun but eventually made her uneasy and I don't like to push or insist on something that makes her uncomfortable at best and hurts her feeling at worst. She also won't hear about me doing it without her, and I don't want to lie or deceive her because I love her very much, and it's mutual.

Obviously a normal psychologist can't help with this, we need someone that know about these issues.

I appreciate any advice.

Therapists today are well versed in LGBTI issues. The order of the day is to help people accept who they are. Unless you specifically need a gender therapist to resolve inner conflicts about your gender, any good marital counselor will help your wife and you bridge the gap over your different understanding and coping methods for the crossdressing.

That said, the Gottman Couples Therapy method is a popular approach. Here is a description:

http://www.gottman.com/about-gottman...uples-therapy/

And here is a link to Gottman Method therapists in the Greater Toronto area:

http://therapists.psychologytoday.co...te=ON&spec=511

I don't know how many of our members who have been in marital therapy are in the Greater Toronto area.

If you're at all interested to know what in general counselors and therapists are learning about the crossdressing, here is the chapter on crossdressing from a textbook released in 2013, entitled "Counseling for LGBTI Clients" by a Canadian, Dr. Kevin Alderson. Don't be put off by the chapter title. The author does explain that although it begins as a fetish for most crossdressers, the CDing eventually morphs into dressing for comfort.

http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/47510_ch_7.pdf

There is a section on marital discord.
    Reine

Thank you. Yes, I don't have inner conflicts about my gender, we need relationship advise, so you might be right about that. I don't know much about psychologists, so thank you for the links, I will read everything.

So if someone knows a good marital counselor versed in these issues, I'd appreciate a personal recommendation :-)