Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showing up for Work - Dressed

Showing up for Work - Dressed

A couple of weeks ago, a very sex women walked into our executive meeting. My first thought was that we had hired someone new and somehow I was out of the loop. Then, she sat down next to me and I realized that this new person was Dennis, one of our senior managers.

No one said anything. Everyone pretended not to notice. I didn't want to stare, so I drank in more with each passing glance. Her blouse was, to die for. White, demure, yet sexy. Her skirt was black, just above the knee, professional. But all I could think was that she needed pantyhose to go with that outfit.

Sadly, she had come in dressed, to resign that day. So, all the questions that I would have had trouble asking anyway didn't get asked.

Wow - life is full of missed opportunities...

Mind you - might have been a bit precipitous of you to have pounced on Dennis in that meeting... "Dennis! You're CD - me toooo.... ooops!"

Bold move on Dennis' part - was everyone's camera phone out as well? And where was yours....?

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Just goes to show you,we'd probably be surprised by who is one of us. Definitely a bold move asKatey has said.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    way to go out with a bang!!!!!

That would be the ultimate CO. It would take more courage than I have. I would have been mocked, humiliated, and banned if I had come to work dressed. Also, I would have lost all authority.

Banned Read only
    Adriana, I couldn't agree more!

Please share with us a little more...What were people's reactions to her getting through with the company? Did anyone want her to stay and was there any further discussion?
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Don't be surprised if Denise comes back a few months later after her SRS.
    Life is too short, take life less seriously

How wonderful for Denise! It must have taken a lot of courage! It's too bad that she didn't come out before then, though, since then you two could have talked and maybe became friends I wish her luck in the future and will be sure to include her in my prayers ^_^

It is unfortunate for Denise that she went like she did.
    Were there no other options?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

From what I understand she took a job in New York but as her new self. Reaction has been very strange at the company. Everyone in the room was pretty stunned. After she left the room, the Executive Vice President simply said, "Unless anyone else anything to add, we are adjourned." No one said anything so it wrapped up. Since last Monday was a holiday, then we had the snow storm hit Atlanta, we haven't met since then. I'm not sure anyone else knows in the company. I'm kind of eager to see what is said tomorrow but I don't want to be the one to bring it up.

I only wished I'd had the balls to reveal that I was wearing pantyhose under my suit.

Well, that's definitely the way to resign!....I sincerely hope it wasn't because of being transgender

I'm 24 miles west of the Hudson river, and I can see the Manhattan skyline from my area. I work as a creative person in a sporting goods manufacturing business that is full of alpha males with big egos. They think I'm like them. I don't know why that is since I have long hair, earrings, and no facial hair.

Sadly, I still think that showing up for work dressed as female is the kiss of death.

Nathalie -Unfortunately thats life and will be for a long time to come. We are fringe dwellers and have to make the most of what we have. I think it took an amazing amount of courage for Denise to do what she did, but at least she was moving on and doesnt have to listen to all the banal chatter afterwards.
    Tammy - Wearing your pantyhose under your suit. It just makes you think how many people out there do that? Whats the person sitting next to you wearing? Are there any clues? Look at the socks and finger nails....E

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie52 View Post
    It just makes you think how many people out there do that? Whats the person sitting next to you wearing? Are there any clues? Look at the socks and finger nails....E
    It does indeed make you wonder. I have recently discovered that a co-worker is a crossdresser. I'm about 95% certain, from information that I've picked up that he is. I just need one confirmation.........

Of course the question then is, do I say something?
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

A CD friend of mine, she get a call from her brother, to tell her that very soon he's going to be her sister.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

My neighbors used to rent a room to a guy that seemed like every other guy. He eventually had to move when the house was sold. Much to my surprise, he left some clear indications in the alley that he was a CD: an entire outfit nearly folded and ready for someone to take. It's difficult enough for us to find people who understand us yet here was one living next door to me for years and I had no clue. It was rather sad to find this out after he left as I'm sure we could have been exactly what the other needed. We are many yet mostly live in the shadows.
    Last edited by JazmyneCD; 02-03-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Silver Member
    An important point - Denise came in dressed only to announce her resignation. She was a senior manager and most likely realized how difficult it would have been to be open about her crossdressing. It is usually best to maintain our privacy at work. She is moving to NYC and maybe will be able to start off with a new persona in a new environment. It is terrific, however, that she was brave enough to depart the way she did. We need more success stories like this.

Banned Read only
    I think it would be difficult for a senior manager to just show up unannounced as a transgender. Business and working relationships have been established for years. It would be a total distraction. On the other hand if Dennis (Denise?) to a new job in a new city and was hired with the clear understanding that he was transgendered, then Dennis is starting off from day one as himself. I'm sure the new company's human resource department and his work group were apprised of his coming.

Silver Member
    I am not sure why she felt the need to do that, I guess as a way of telling them off I guess? If so, it is always a bad idea to burn bridges with former employers. If the new job doesn't work out, she cannot count on a badly neeeded positive reference from the old job. Heaven knows jobs are not becoming easier to find, especially at that level.

I guess Dennis figured "What the hell" since it was his last hurrah at your company. I hope things go well in his new job en femme. I had fantasized over the years of doing something like that while I was still working but didn't want to jeopardize things for my family.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    An important point - Denise came in dressed only to announce her resignation. She was a senior manager and most likely realized how difficult it would have been to be open about her crossdressing. It is usually best to maintain our privacy at work. She is moving to NYC and maybe will be able to start off with a new persona in a new environment.
    To me,you are mixing up cross dressing and social transition... And if her job performance was good,she really did not burn any bridges..as Vicky suggested.. She may have been at the point in an actual transition where it was time to come out at work,and decided to start with a fresh group...Nowhere do I get the impression that she was a crossdresser that was "thumbing her nose" at a company group....Unless management knew something they weren't revealing!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I know, 2nd/3rd hand, of three individuals who accomplished their coming out at work on the last day. One girl did it to spite her fellow co-workers, and the other two to finalize what they had be telling their other co-workers for awhile. One of the latter girls got a standing ovation at her going away party.

Question: why do we have parties when someone leaves a job, and not a party when someone new starts a job?
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    To me,you are mixing up cross dressing and social transition... And if her job performance was good,she really did not burn any bridges..as Vicky suggested.. She may have been at the point in an actual transition where it was time to come out at work,and decided to start with a fresh group...Nowhere do I get the impression that she was a crossdresser that was "thumbing her nose" at a company group....Unless management knew something they weren't revealing!
    It really doesn't matter - social transitioning (whatever that means) or gender transitioning or crossdressing. We really don't't know what her status is or the purpose of her actions or her future intentions. It is usually always best to keep any personal problems, beliefs, unusual behavior or difficult personal issues. We really only know that she was a senior manager, that she came to work fully dressed, that she was leaving, and that this was a surprise at least to some colleagues. Good for her and hope she will be happy and successful. But her disclosure was only made as she left. She might have had to leave. We just don't know. still need to be cautious in the workplace but should be encouraged by actions like her's.

WOW what a story I am so proud of here way to go out with a bang

What a great story!, I would hope that you knew her well enough to have an email or phone number where you could wish her luck and stay in touch a bit?, knowing her name might led you to a facebook page perhaps