Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She noticed my nails . . . .

She noticed my nails . . . .

I'm not "out" in any way, and I prefer to keep my dressing private. The wife knows and is very supportive. Nevertheless, I try to be careful outside the home and not reveal myself.

A week ago I was at a dinner with some GG acquaintances, sipping on wine and talking about everything from presidents to parliments. Out of the blue the GG sitting next to me says, "Oh my God. Look at your nails! They look better than mine." What ensued was a curious, close up examination of my hands by the group followed by lots of questions. "What do you do to get them to look so good, do you get manicures, what does the wife say about that, how do other guys feel about it, have I or would I ever try polish," etc.

Now, I do take care of my nails and yes I get manicures. Wife and I go together quite often. Until now no one has ever noticed, or maybe they did and just did not comment. Reflecting back on what made it different this time: I have weak, brittle nails and part of my regimen of care includes keeping them coated with a strengthener or nail enzyme. I had recently ran out of my Nailtiques formula, and after showering before dinner thought I had grabbed my wife's OPI nail envy matte. Was in a big hurry and did not have my glasses, and I simply slapped on what I had grabbed. Instead of matte I had grabbed the shiny stuff.

Anyway, it made for some interesting conversation and my wife found it very humorous when I told her about it. I like to think I covered my tracks with the GG's, but one kept holding up her backhand, wiggling her fingers and winking at me. This got giggles from the group every time.

Oh well . . . as I always say: we only think we can hide it forever.

We had a similar experience. We were out for dinner with several friends. One of the wives noticed the length of my SO's nails and it was apparent that she was puzzled. She wanted to know why my SO's nails were so long. She didn't ask the question directly, however. Instead she asked if my SO played the guitar. My SO simply said "no" and offered no further explanation.

Yes, people do notice.
    Reine

I've had very long manicured acrylic nails for over 15 years now.

When I was in guy mode and wanted to discourage further conversation about them, if someone asked "Why do you have such long nails?: I would simply say "It makes it so much easier to get the wax out of my ears!" (Or "So much easier to pick my nose").

Not only does it end that line of questioning, but if you are a germaphobe it pretty much stops anyone from shaking your hand at the end of the evening.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Platinum Member
    Hi Miss Tee, More than once I've had a cashier or a SA comment on how nice my nails look and some will say that they
    wish that they could get their nails to look that nice, I just smile and say, thank you.

I keep a double coat of clearcoat nail hardener on 24/7/365.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I too use the clear coat of shiny finish on my longish nails. Yes, people do notice, the key is how you deal with the comments and hopefully compliments. Lets face it, we have are nails done to try and look pretty, now don't we also have to learn to accept a compliment and answer the questions that will arise because we are different then most men in our personal hygiene?

it pretty much stops anyone from shaking your hand at the end of the evening.
    That's hilarious, Persephone.

I think I handled my response well. Tried to act un-phased by the questions. It was just weird for me -- being so deeply secretive as I am -- to have that chat with GG's and have them go on and on about it. It was the first time I ever talked about nail care with anyone other than a spa nail tech or my wife.

BTW, I wish I could keep my nails a little longer, but because they tend to break easily I keep them cut close. No doubt it was the shiny clear coat that made them stand out.

Funny how many see us with long manicured nails, and think guitar player, I've never noticed Guitar player nails being all that nice.
    I was at a check out a while back, and the guy behind me asked me if I played, when I said no, he looked a bit strange, and got quiet,
    not sure what he thought.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

People notice my nails all the time. But then I often wear bright red nail polish in male mode. No one has ever asked for an explanation, and I've never given one.

Sometimes with a group who you think has sprung you, the truth is too unbelievable for them to comprehend anyway.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

To the question “What does the wife say about that?” you simple say “we frequently get manicures together.” I’m sure that some of the older members here also remember barber shops in the fifties and sixties with manicurists. I remember my first civilian haircut after I got out of the Marines, not really a haircut, more of a trim as I was trying to let my hair grow out. Anyway the manicure the pretty young lady gave me took longer than the trim. I knew she was going to put clear polish on because I had seen my Dad’s nails when he got manicures while having his hair cut at the barber shop.

I've thought it rather sad that barber shops no longer have manicurists, but then it is getting difficult to even find a barber shop.
    Babs

Miss Tee,

Same happened to me only it was my personal assistant who asked, a few weeks after i started working at my current firm. While i didn't put polish on them, i keep my nails highly buffed and a tad long. She came right out and asked i i polished my nails. Women do tend to notice those things.

I love being in the midst of GG's they're so naturally amazing. But color me stupid cause I don't get the part about "holding up her backhand, wiggling her fingers and winking at me". Huh? Anyways that's a cute story Tee.

I wear nail color almost everyday. It's what triggered my understanding of myself and I feel not quite right if they aren't done. I do any color I feel like usually it's to match whatever the wife and I wore out. I believe everyone I see just assumes I'm gay. I get these young hotties chatting me up all the time. It's funny because they would have been afraid of me a year ago.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

It's been a month or so I've kept long nails and glossy clear polish when i go out. Now it's reached an unmistakably feminine length, with me shaping it now and then I surprise myself with the level of comfort I've reached. there is a dept store I visit regularly, there's a girl in her 20s and she's noticed mine, did a double take. I know that a lot of people would notice too because nails are hard to hide. You have a nice experience there, I'm happy for you hon. I haven't gotten any comments though.

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    As evidenced by the above replies, yes, people do notice guys with feminine-looking nails.

My older daughter asked me once, "Dad, are you going to cut your nails or polish them?"... my response was, "They just grow so darn fast I can't keep up with 'em!".

Quote Originally Posted by Barbra P View Post
    I knew she was going to put clear polish on because I had seen my Dad’s nails when he got manicures while having his hair cut at the barber shop.

I've thought it rather sad that barber shops no longer have manicurists, but then it is getting difficult to even find a barber shop.
    Seein' as how I haven't had my hair cut in over eight years, I've not been in search of one... however, were they to have a manicurist on staff, I might just stop in for a visit. Then if anyone asked about my shiny nails, I could tell them I had 'em done in a barber shop!

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLynne View Post

My older daughter asked me once, "Dad, are you going to cut your nails or polish them?"
    Polish them, want to come along?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only

Yep. They would

I am baffled here by the thought that they would not know.

People see so much and decide oft times that they would rather not say anything vs startup an uncomfortable conversation.

Then there are people like me. We love that but in all honesty, even I don't want to be mean.

Adults, like children (although in my opinion adults are much more childish and petty than kids) comprehend far more than those with something hidden would like to believe they know.

Kids are the perfect example of this and each parent has stories that they can tell highlighting this FACT.

Now sure they didn't notice. Yep. Believe it, and own the belief. Because it just ain't true

Vanny

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Polish them, want to come along?
    Lorileah, no need to go anywhere, she could've seen me do 'em on the spot... I've all my fave colors in stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Rose View Post
    Adults, like children (although in my opinion adults are much more childish and petty than kids) comprehend far more than those with something hidden would like to believe they know.

Kids are the perfect example of this and each parent has stories that they can tell highlighting this FACT.
    Vanessa, both of my daughters know I've dressed en femme previously on Halloween, and have been rather proficient in the areas of makeup and nail polish. Add to that a complete wardrobe of women's clothing, right down to shape wear, brassieres, breast forms and shoes... yeah, so I guess they have an inkling...

I agree with your take on the situation. People know more than some give them credit for. Not everyone is clueless!

But color me stupid cause I don't get the part about "holding up her backhand, wiggling her fingers and winking at me". Huh?
    Annaliese, the GG doing that was trying to provoke a response. She was making kissy face gestures, too. In good fun, though. She's always a cut up.

One thing I've learned about myself -- and my wife points to quite often -- is that me and girl groups just seem to mesh. We've even discussed how some see me as "gay friend" style material. I am so fortunate wife knows about my CD-ing, as the green monster of jealousy could be an issue in my relationship with the wife.

Anyway, I have no doubt I sometimes live in my own innocent bubble and think no one notices. I should know better, but . . . .

I also have manicure and pedicures every two weeks, and o love when someone make a comment about it.
    Juliana

I have been having my nails manicured for some time now. Recently I have been wearing them longer and shaped more feminine with a flatter looking tip. Because they were long I would break them more easily, my manicurist suggested having them shellack'ed to strengthen them. I agreed and after trying several looks she now first puts a base coat on, followed by two coats of white on the tips and then tops the whole nail with a very light pink and a clear coat. The effect is quite amazing, they look very healthy with a faint white tip, they last for three weeks and I never break them any more.

Anyway the only person so far that has noticed and said anything was the waitress where I frequently eat lunch. One day she brought me my food and then picked up my hand and asked me what I used on my nails and commented that they looked so feminine and much better than hers did. She then proceeded to tell the other girls who all know me and came over to look and admire them. Before I knew it my nails were on display for almost everyone in the place and most of the women and a few of the men actually liked how nice they looked, one guy even said he wished he had the b@%#s to wear his like that.

I am sure others have noticed but have kept quiet about it. I was initially embarrassed by her making such a fuss over my nails but after hearing so many positive comments I relaxed and just enjoyed the attention. I do not try and hide them any more and just act natural and own them.

I keep mine long for a man about 1/8" or so past the tips and I keep the cuticles trimmed and shaped. Clear coat shiny, they are a healthy pink and the tips seem to be very white. Well I can't remember any comments on them but I get inquisitive looks from cashiers and the like. I also shave my hands and arms.

Bye-Bye Lisa
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Wife notice mine tonight kept looking at them but didn't say anything. Had them done 2 days ago when she was gone.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

I always wear glossy polish on my nails.Only one person ever asked about it.
    Angie

I keep my nails a bit longer than normal for a male. I also keep clear polish on them. The few times I've been asked I tell most of the truth. All my life I chewed my nails. After I started taking care of them I found that the feel of the polish helped remind me to keep them out of my mouth. The only thing I leave out is my motivation for wanting nice nails.

I usually like having my nails noticed. The people who notice tend to be complimentary no matter what mode I'm in.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]