Thread: FFS or Facial Surgery ?

FFS or Facial Surgery ?

I'm curious if anyone on the forum has either had facial surgery or is considering it ? I am looking into having a rhinoplasty done, hopefully this fall. I've consulted with two plastic surgeons and will check out others before I make a final decision. Their quotes were $3200 and $3500. I want to choose the right surgeon so I'm willing to take my time. I've always hated my nose. There's aardvarks in the wild with shorter noses than mine.

Any others had or considering full FFS, face lift or other feminine facial surgery ?

Kim

Departed
    There's a surgeon less than an hour from where I live who does a procedure he calls bi-planar brow lift. His name is Mark Zukowski and he wrote an article on it that was published online. The description is something like this: Four incisions are made just above the hairline and all work is done from there..." From what I remember he described the effect you gain from it something like this: you will still be able to express yourself as male but when dressed you will look remarkably female.

Now I know this doesn't address having facial surgery vs. FFS specifically but it isn't full FFS either. Recovery time is much less and the possibility of permanent nerve damage to the forehead skin is minimal. Full FFS patients often lose skin sensation on the forehead. I know Zukowski incorporates other procedures with any sort of facial feminization so you can get it all over at once. If I did it, I would probably go this route.

I saw on Dr. 90210 a TS patient who had a brow shave, jaw reshaping and a nose job all at once. What I remember all too well is her reaction when she awoke. "I need more pain killers." But a week later she looked great. But she was early 20s. They say the older you are the longer the healing process.

Not so new member
    Northwest. England..ok ok I live in Liverpool. Dont worry I wont steal your clothes
    Hi Kim and Julie, although I dont have a 'super masculinized'(is that even a real word) face, there is no way I could transition without being too self concious without FFS. I feel I would benefit from a FULL FFS package. I know that hormones can quite dramaticaly change the soft tissue on the facial area and that NO FFS should be undertaken before the majority of the hormonal effects have taken place, I can feel the bossing and heavy jaw and know both these and rhinoplasty are not optional. Upper lip curl, jaw/chin contouring and cheek implants are options that I would look into to try and look like the way I feel I should look. Maybe a few hundred pounds on therapy for self confidence would be better spent. lol
    All the times, that ive cried
    Keeping all the things I knew inside
    Its hard, but its harder to ignore it
    If they were right, i'd agree
    But its them they know not me
    Now theres a way, and i know
    That I have to go away

Departed
    Anyone considering any type of facial feminization would do themselves a disservice if they didn't visit this site and learn all they can before making a decision: FFS Support It's the most informative FFS site on the Internet I've ever seen. You will walk away feeling like you have a PhD.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn
    Hi Kim and Julie, although I dont have a 'super masculinized'(is that even a real word) face, there is no way I could transition without being too self concious without FFS. I feel I would benefit from a FULL FFS package. I know that hormones can quite dramaticaly change the soft tissue on the facial area and that NO FFS should be undertaken before the majority of the hormonal effects have taken place, I can feel the bossing and heavy jaw and know both these and rhinoplasty are not optional. Upper lip curl, jaw/chin contouring and cheek implants are options that I would look into to try and look like the way I feel I should look. Maybe a few hundred pounds on therapy for self confidence would be better spent. lol
    We all feel that way about ourselves. Everyone tells me I could pass 100% after hormones, etc with my facial structure (could even pass now), but I look in the mirror and see brow bossing and say how much prettier I would be with that shaved down, and maybe some work on my lower jaw, lower eye lid area. You are right in that FFS should not even be considered until after hormones have done their full work (the reason I am not transistioning too quickly). There are also concerns about vocal (voice) surgery, etc.

Most of it is looking in the mirror and seeing a different person. Most people who don't know you personally will just say "female" and not "female with brow bossing, large jaw, etc".

Just look at my picture, a bit of sarcasm but most people will say "female" even with a small amount of makeup

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...3&d=1136575428

Mandy
    [SIZE="4"]My life in a Quote[/SIZE]
    "I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough, irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Everything’s soft and smooth."
    [SIZE="1"]—Anakin to Padmé - Star Wars - Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones[/SIZE]

Occupying my own end of the gender spectra...

Quote Originally Posted by MandyTS
    We all feel that way about ourselves. Everyone tells me I could pass 100% after hormones, etc with my facial structure (could even pass now), but I look in the mirror and see brow bossing and say how much prettier I would be with that shaved down, and maybe some work on my lower jaw, lower eye lid area. You are right in that FFS should not even be considered until after hormones have done their full work (the reason I am not transistioning too quickly). There are also concerns about vocal (voice) surgery, etc.

Most of it is looking in the mirror and seeing a different person. Most people who don't know you personally will just say "female" and not "female with brow bossing, large jaw, etc".

Just look at my picture, a bit of sarcasm but most people will say "female" even with a small amount of makeup

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...3&d=1136575428

Mandy
    You're quite lucky.

I also get told by my psychiatrist and endochrinologist that I have fine features and really need not worry about plastic surgery to my face. Although their comments relieve me a bit, as they've seen many TS', I still will be doing rhinoplasty at least.
    My first book, The Shipping Mistake, has been published. It's about all my pre-op years, since I was a child.

It is available for purchase at the following links online:

Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Lulu (the printer)

You can download a free preview by following any of the book links at Lulu

Departed
    Mandy, my therapist told me I would be able to "successfully transition", a term I had used in earlier sessions meaning I'd be able to pass. My HRT doctor said, "You'll do well." But I can't imagine ever really being able to go unnoticed without FFS and somehow being able to make this deep voice of mine sound female. Even if I did that I know I'd still get clocked.

I remember one FFS doctor, I think it was Osterhout, saying something like; once you have the face society will see you as a woman. I just don't think it's that simple.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this thread. Especially to Julie for providing the link to the FFS support group. Research and education are important steps before we consider any type of surgery.

Kim