Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A burning desire

Another option. I have a set I use sometimes to show support for breast cancer awareness. The pink ribbon. Very small ones but still. Heck NFL players routinely wear pink because of this and I've seen them wear even more flamboyant ear bling.
    Barbie

Come on people, I pierced my ears back in the sixties, no one and I mean no one has ever said a thing about it, and I wear most any type of earrings I want to.I personaly know many men with pierced ears. Bikers (I am one) and sailors (my late brother was one) come to mind.

To me, it's like wanting a tatoo. Wait a year, and then see how you feel about it. THEN make your decision.

The main issue for me isn't really perception but doing something out of character. In male form I am that stalwart never changing guy and people might worry that something is wrong with me (mentally or emotionally) if I did do something out of character. But maybe that is just what I should do, something different for the sake of doing something different. Might actually be just what my life needs. So I definitely think I will get it done soon as I can find a place and time. I know there are plenty of tattoo parlours in Vancouver, so place isn't a big problem.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeslyn View Post
    I am actually more worried about people in my life viewing it as something else entirely - as some kind of fashion statement, following certain elements of pop culture *cough*justin bieber*cough*, or falling into certain other cultural or image trends (hipsters).
    Aaah... I missed this comment the first time. The "that thing I wanted to do for a long time has become trendy, so now I can't do it anymore" problem. Don't you find people that enforce those kinds of expectations to be more insufferable than the trendy masses they ridicule?

It's really just another form of conformism, but with a heaping spoonful of hypocrisy ("Those are the sheep, and we're the non-conformists. Oh, you're not exactly like us? You must not be cool.").

You know what's really cool? Having passion for something. If you feel it, live it. The hell with the peanut gallery.
    "Your hands are cold but your lips are warm..."

So glad I didn't Get a tribal sleave tattoo in the 90s like all my friends were getting.
    Barbie

I agree with Joanne and others - the stigma of piercings being "girly" or "feminine" or "gay" is not really there anymore.
    I have had my ears pierced for 7 years now, and have only been out to my wife for a few weeks.
    That is the best part about ear-rings, they can be both masculine and femme.
    You can find a good pair that works for both, or have multiple pairs.
    Take the plunge - you will realize that it isn't as bad as you think it was - and that people are more accepting than you think they will be.
    Hugs!
    -CJ
    - Still Choosing an "En Femme" Name

Aeslyn, I am a business owner and an insurance agent and I fought this for 10 years. Terrified of what my clients would think, terrified of what my kids would think. Well I have had them pierced for going on 3 years now and while people will say, "when did you get your ears pierced?" or "hey I didn't know you had them pierced." Most everyone hasn't even reacted to it. I will admit I do take them out for my most conservative client meetings, but that is more for me, you can still see where they are pierced, just takes away from my personal anxiety. I am happy I went for it. All I know is that it helped me be happy and feel more feminine. You have to do what is right for you.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Yeah, go for it. Get your ears pierced, pluck those eyebrows, and wear those shorts and tee shirts after shaving. Hey, nobody will notice. BS! People notice, they just don't know what to say so they say nothing. Your friends? You bet they'll notice.

I have had mine pierced for nearly 30 years and wear them when driving but remove them when going into a customer. Most people don't say anything but i do catch some "guff " from some people if i forget before going into the terminal. But I work in a mainly male business and some men think women shouldn't be driving. Many years ago my daughter would see some cute earrings that she had to get for daddy (imagine a 5'9" 250 lb guy with pink teddy bears LOL) Had a lot of fun and now my wife buys many of my earrings. You just have to be ready for people and stand for yourself. Own it as they say.

Because of this thread I went out today and got mine done! I am so happy that I finally did it. Go for it, Aeslyn you will not regret it

Jenn

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeslyn View Post
    The issue is that it would be so completely out of character for the male me and everyone knows it.
    Can't you just begin to redefine who the male you is?

In this modern age having pierced ears implies nothing. Go for it. I did mine several years ago, in fact before I started dressing. Have never had anything but positive comments, even from those that asked "why". I simply said it is something I enjoy and have always wanted to do. That was it.

I have had both of my ears pierced for more than half my life, I don't think that a guy with pierced ears is any more odd than a guy with a beard these days. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer S View Post
    Because of this thread I went out today and got mine done! I am so happy that I finally did it. Go for it, Aeslyn you will not regret it

Jenn
    Yeah, because of these responses (and thank you everyone, great advice) I think I will go for it. Now it is just about timing. So... a couple of questions for those of you in the know:
    Is it ok to get it done in winter when the whether is cold? I mean, when they are new you can't take them out if it is cold and what does it feel like in the winter with them in? (I also can't stand my ears covered so that is not an option.)
    And, during the first few weeks when you have to leave them in can you change them to do you have to keep the same pair in constantly? I am looking forward to having and enjoying a variety of ear rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadina View Post
    I have had both of my ears pierced for more than half my life, I don't think that a guy with pierced ears is any more odd than a guy with a beard these days. JMHO
    Personally, I hate beard lol. I think I'd rather see a guy with pierced ears than with a beard.

You keep the same pair in for a couple weeks, but any proffessional piercer will give you a small bottle of wash made for cleaning it while the earrings are in. cotton ball.....you get it.

Unless it goes horribly wrong you wont need a bandaid No need to cover it unless you don't want to somebody seeing them. Go for something less flamboyant for your starters. I chose 2mm zircon on surgical steel studs. Gotta get my right redone but will go with same style.

Above all though......Have fun with it!
    Last edited by Barbie Anne; 02-19-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: yet another typo
    Barbie

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    Just excuse it as trying to look or feel younger, trying something different, or blame it on a midlife crisis. If nothing else just say you are thinking of getting a tattoo next( but for Gods sake don't do it... Lol) but they are your ears... Adorn away!

Don't they make flesh colored posts you can put in instead of earrings?!?

I was right, they do make flesh colored retainers for piercings.

http://www.bodyjewelrypiercing.com/l...p-and-ear.html
    Last edited by Caden Lane; 02-21-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts -please use edit in future...
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

Just do it. So many men's have their ears pierced and honestly don't think that nobody would really care that much.
    Juliana

I had my first holes done at 55. Second holes 3 months later. My excuse, mid-life crisis. It was a lot cheaper than a sports car!!! No one said anything, a few strange looks, but not one negative word. So JUST DO IT!!!

Got mine done 10 years ago still working at the time and was the boss of 25. Had one who said something about it. Then had a young lady give me some hoop earrings to wear just to upset him. And yes you have to keep them in for 6 weeks turning them and keeping them clean. After that you can do anything the hardest thing is learning where the holes are and putting on the backs.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Had mine pierced three years ago come Father’s Day. I’ve never been asked why my ears are pierced or why I pierced my ears. My mechanic noticed my earrings, almost a year after I had them pierced, and commented that my earrings sure were a lot cheaper than buying a Porsche – have to assume it was in reference to having a mid-life crisis. The cashier in Rite Aid commented on my earrings, told me how much she liked them and were they Hopi or Navaho? They are silver with a Southwestern Turquois and Coral design; I don’t think they are either Hopi or Navaho as I bought them off Amazon for less than $10. I don’t know how things are in Vancouver but here a men with pierced ears is quite common. It’s against military regulations but I see both Sailors and Marines with pierced ears.

You do know that unlike tattoos ear piercings tend to heal and go away? It is important to leave the starter studs as it is easy to damage the hole when attempting to put the posts back in. It’s only six weeks so why take the chance? I started with small (3mm I think) gold balls, gold is a masculine color and the gold balls were too small to attract much attention; pewter (not real pewter but pewter colored), stainless steel, silver, dark gray, black are other possible choices. I sometimes think that trying to hide the fact that you pierced your ears might draw more attention than just being open about it. On the off chance that someone does actually ask you can always come back with “yeah, I had my ears pierced, aren’t they great? I’m thinking maybe I should get some diamond studs like all the professional jocks wear. Say, you ought to get yours done, I can recommend a great place.”

My only regret is that I waited so long before having it done
    Babs