Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent excursion

Platinum Member

Recent excursion

Exactly two weeks ago I set out on a drive north, to deliver a car I was giving to my son. As has become my custom, I traveled en femme for most of the 1400 mile journey. Most of the time the main challenges are boredom and white line fever, but this trip was different.

As I passed through Muskogee Ok, my car started missing badly. I sputtered along for a few miles before finding a GM dealership where I sought help. I barely made it to the service bay doors before the engine abruptly came to a halt.

The service manager greeted me warmly and sympathetically, not showing any recognition, surprise or concern. He courteously went about his business, invited me to wait in the customer lounge while they diagnosed the problem. An older coupe seated in the lounge paid me no mind, and I didn't notice any reactions, negative or otherwise, from the other staff.

A half hour later the Service Manager had the problem identified(a faulty rotor cap) and in less than 90 minutes the car was fixed and I was on my way. Every step of the way I was treated like a lady and I really, really appreciated both the prompt service and their courtesy.

All of this in a small Ok town A few miles north of Muskogee! place where even squares can have a ball!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That's a fantastic story, Kim! But wow - 1400 miles!! That's a LONG drive!!

So glad it went well for you.
    Barbie

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    That's a fantastic story, Kim! But wow - 1400 miles!! That's a LONG drive!!
    It's a long way to Minnesota from Houston, Anne...and not just in miles. My wife overheard me talking to a friend from back home, and at the end of the call, I said "I'll se you later then." My wife commented that I sounded like I just came out of the movie Fargo. I said "what makes you think I didn't?"
    Last edited by kimdl93; 02-20-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Afterthought
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My experiences in living a gender fluid life mimic yours, on your trip.."if it isn't an issue for me,why should it be an issue for you?"...We are most often treated as we treat others!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I am glad it went so well for you. It can be hard to be away from home and have vehicle troubles, especially for a Lady. you were fortunate to find just a few of he many good people in that area. I go thru there often and have never had a bad experience.

Great story! So nice to know that people can be so accepting of diversity. Thank you for sharing.
    Di

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    It's a long way to Minnesota from Houston, Anne...and not just in miles.
    Great experience for you Kim - nice to know there's some old world politeness and hospitality still around...

That is a huge drive as well - we have trouble putting that in perspective on this small island, so I just checked out what it would mean in UK/European terms if I could drive 1400 miles east from where I am now... (no point in going west, obviously..) I'd cross 7 countries, and just make it across the Ukraine into Russky - about 200 miles east of Kiev.... Just in case you needed reminding how big the US is...

Nice story...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    I've gone to Muskogee many times en femme. I think they just don't ever see any transgender folks out there, so it's not even on their radar. If you were traveling N on 69, you passed the house where I lived before my wife kicked me out.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Kim,

Sounds like a great validation trip and I absolutely love the Merle Haggard (Okie from Muskogee) nod in your post.

Hugs

Isha

Packing list...lingerie-check, skirts-check, heels-check, makeup-check, rotor cap-huh?

Kim,
    There is no accounting for some of the locales we find ourselves in when we think ther might be a few feathers ruffled.
    I have worried about some places and when I have found myself caught there I have obviously worried needlessly.
    Like you I get long drives like that and being dressed helps keep me aware of my surroundings.
    I will travel about a 1000 miles in one stretch.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Many of my relatives (most I have never met) live within 50 miles of Muskogee and all have offered me a place to stay, eat, visit or just stop and say "Hi" if I get the chance. I have many of them on another social site, but never seems like i have time to stop for a meet/greet and photo opportunity.

Katy, yes the U.S. is large over 2500 mi. E-W and depending on where you start and stop about that long N-S. With the Hours of service for truckers Texas alone (880 Mi E-W I-10 and over 500 mi N-S I-35) can take over 2 days for a solo driver to make it across. Unfortunately I have never made it to The UK or Europe but have been all over the Pacific. We All have some beautiful country to see in our travels and some interesting people to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Great experience for you Kim - nice to know there's some old world politeness and hospitality still around...

That is a huge drive as well - we have trouble putting that in perspective on this small island, so I just checked out what it would mean in UK/European terms if I could drive 1400 miles east from where I am now... (no point in going west, obviously..) I'd cross 7 countries, and just make it across the Ukraine into Russky - about 200 miles east of Kiev.... Just in case you needed reminding how big the US is...

Nice story...

Katey x
    1400 mi. a long trip? Heck, in Canada, some of us have to drive that far to get to the nearest big box store - especially in the far north.

But not to worry - Walmart is on it, and we'll soon have access to cheap junk and Redneck chic in every corner of the land. As they would have said in "Fargo" - "You betcha!"

I've read quite a few accounts lately wherein a CD, dressed and out somewhere, has an unplanned meetup with a stranger. They seem to have all turned out to be non-events. Is this a problem of my perception, or do others get the same impression?

Best wishes
    MsVal

It is refreshing to read about such behavior by people in conservative OK. I, too, have had occasions where I had to have my car fixed while I was en femme. I, too, was treated as a lady by everyone involved.
    Hugs, Carole

That is a great story. Kim, I'm glad it all turned out well for you!
    Stephanie

Merle Haggard couldn't have said it better.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Banned Read only
    Kim,I used to worry so much about accidents or car failures when I a driving. I would have a boy bag for a fast change, but I gave that up years ago. I'm like you, if something happens, I'll deal with it. Service people want your money more than they want to ridicule you

Platinum Member
    Just two additional observations. Thanks everyone for your comments. On our perceptions of conservation middle America...I find that most people, regardless of how they might characterize themselves, are basically willing to live and let live. Also, the service people seemed genuinely sympathetic and made a real effort to help...who can't empathize with having car trouble on a long trip?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member
    I think the world in changing in two directions. We are getting out more and making it more common. Also, people are getting more accepting of differences in others. I have to admit, the tire places, oil change places, mechanics..... were my last barrier as far as doing things en femme. I was surprised as I didn't even get a smirk when I tried it. Having it happen while far from home has an extra layer of nerves though. Go Kim!

Kim, great story. I have lived all over the country. Much to my amazement, the most accepting place I have lived, bar none, was the Oklahoma City. Even compared to places that were supposedly accepting of CDs and Trans girls, Oklahoma was tops. Unexpected, amazing but true. I miss all the accepting friends and folks in Oklahoma.

Robyn

Way to go, Kim! You went right on where most CDs fear to tread! Glad it was just a rotor cap too.

Many, many years ago, just after 1970 when the song came out, my spouse and I detoured up to Muskogee to see if it was really true that "We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy, like the hippies out in San Francisco do." Since I had long hair I actually wore a short wig while we wandered about town. At that time, yep, it was pretty true. Thank you for the good times and the good music, Merle.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Way to go girl..

Platinum Member
    For the record, I did nothing praiseworthy. I do think it speaks well of everyday people.

Eleanor Roosevelt