Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home after a great night out in San Francisco

Junior Member Kristina_nolagirl's Avatar
    New Orleans and San Francisco a few times a year. Also travel the US.
    Me and my wife just got back from SF and spent a few hours hanging with them. Great people!

We love SF so much. We went for the first time 2 years ago and have been back 5 times since then - can't get enough

Although it's very accepting and never any problems...I did venture into the tourist shopping area along market street in the daytime and ran into 2 people who were not very kind. I knew what I was getting into in that area, but it does not bother me anymore. My wife on the other hand almost got into physical confrontations with about a dozen people who were evidently staring at me. lol! I had to force her into a bar to drink a glass of wine. She can be a little overprotective of her KK.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 02-22-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: removed link since it didn't work.
    My Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristinanolagirl/

Better get busy living, or you get busy dying.

Aspiring Member
    Alright, I'm jealous.... Hopefully one day, I'll get to experience just such a time in SF... Great thread!!!

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Sounds like a great outing Jennifer and BTW you looked fabulous in that outfit! Wish you had a pic with the black pumps included.

Thanks for sharing the conversation at the wine bar and the story of the “three normal crossdressers” having a night out.

SF is such a fun city to visit and I suspect they are on the cutting edge of acceptance of CD’ers just like they were for accepting the gay community before most other places.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

Banned Read only
    The city is really a wonderful place to visit. I've been there many times, but never as myself. I hope to fix that sometime - so many things there that I really enjoy. At least it's a great place to visit if you have money... My biggest regret is not ever managing to see the Squirrel Nut Zippers play at Café du Nord.

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Kristina,
    It was a pleasure meeting your wife and you and FYI, we were at the same wine bar that Jenn had her conversation.
    Rach
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

Such a wonderful evening you had! I have to tell you about Allie's very first outing in San Francisco: we became friends through this forum, and after some encouragement from me, she accompanied me to San Francisco on her first ever outing as a woman. Before that night, I was always very reserved whenever I went out, trying to minimize human interaction to maximize my success at passing. This changed forever after that night, when Allie totally blossomed, vivaciously charming total strangers as she dragged me along in her wake. I learned then and there that passing is an illusion - meeting people as who you are is the reality. If who you are happens to be a man dressing as a woman, embrace it and enjoy every moment! That may not work for everyone, and it surely doesn't work in some places, but if you're ever in San Francisco and you have an opportunity to spread your wings with Allie, you'll never regret it.

Nothing to add but the admiration & joy of friendships . It is great to see & read about friends getting together to enjoy life . Thanks to all for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    ...If you treat your activities like they are "normal", then they are. And that is how it should be. It is one of the toughest things when going out in the beginning as our nerves and apprehensions take some of the normal out of it. But once you settle down those thoughts, it is another day in the life.
    Absolutely! When I first started going out I stressed over every detail. My makeup had to be perfect, nails were redone if they had the slightest ding, etc. I worried that I'd forget my femme voice or use a male mannerism.

Fast forward a few years. Mimi and I go out a couple of times per week sometimes more. Sometimes we have amazing adventures, sometimes we have dinner at Souplantation or IHOP with friends or by ourselves. Most of the time I don't put color on my nails, relying on the clear polish I always wear and slightly-longer-than-male length to look femme. I throw on a pretty top and some blingy jeans, do a bit of makeup, toss on a wig, and we're out the door. I think that it's a more authentic experience and I feel more comfortable in my own skin for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love to dress to the nines for special occasions, but I really cherish the ability to be the "casual woman" that GGs are most of the time.

We go to some places often enough that the people recognize us (one advantage of being a 6'2" woman!) and they have always treated me as expected for my presented gender.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

San Francisco is wonderful. Acceptance and tolerance was not the reason I moved here (natural beauty was) but it sure is great to be here. You don't have to go out to "tg-friendly" venues, you can just go anyplace. Hooray, San Francisco!

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    .... there is no question that S.F. is the holy grail of acceptance cities.
    I can't disagree with that! I know exactly what you mean. I've been out and about numerous times, both day and night in SF (restaurants, bars, museums, galleries, shopping etc) all the while mixing in the mainstream and I swear, everyone I met either ignored me or treated completely normal. It's amazing. I love SF!

On another note, Allie and Rachael are two of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet. I know them both socially and I can tell you, I look up to and admire them both when it comes to "mainstreaming".
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

That sounds like a wonderful experience.. and thanks for a) sharing and b) leaving such a good impression. I think, in the end, that is what our community needs if we want public crossdressing to be more accepted.
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Katey, there is no question that S.F. is the holy grail of acceptance cities.
    I was just about to chirp in and say...
    I'm from the UK and even I know that if youre gonna hit the streets dressed, then that's the place to do it.

LOL

Nice one
    Samantha -x-

Aspiring Member
    Jennifer, you look really cute, even with those "German Swimmer" shoulders I think you have an innocence about you when you dress. Of course, I've not seen you in guy mode so maybe you're always like that? You look very approachable, either way. Wish I lived nearby and could set up a dinner night including your wife - I'd pick her brains on how to feel better about everything.

Anyway, you look good. I have a similar dress that I'm now going to pair with a red bracelet!