Thread: Vacationing in San Francisco just to go en femme?

Vacationing in San Francisco just to go en femme?

I'm not brave enough yet to go out in my area (Baltimore) which is NOT alternate lifestyle friendly. But I was thinking of spending a week or so in San Francisco this summer just so I could go out and not be worried about stares or harassment. I haven't been there in 20-some years, but I remember in some areas seeing a number of CD/transgendered walking around and nobody seemed to notice or care.

Anybody know if it's still that like today? And where are the friendliest areas? (Haight-Ashbury?) Any places to definitely avoid?

You can't go too far wrong in SF or LA if you stick to the upscale areas. Follow your instincts. If a GG wouldn't go someplace neither should you.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    Go ANYWHERE in San Francisco. You'll get some looks in the tourist areas but do t sweat it. Mainstream is the way to go. I just got back from SF and had a great time out

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I don't live in San Francisco but I live fairly close so I visit there quite often and, going on my own personal experience, I can tell you that it is an awesome place to go to en femme. It's a city that has a large(ish) population of LGBT folks plus there is a strong liberal vibe (IMHO) going on there .. net result is that people are extremely tolerant or nonchalant about folks that are "different" and so a CDer (non-passable or otherwise) is really no big deal. It's a very cool place
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Thanks Rachel and Jennifer & Eryn, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've got my flight and hotel booked now for June.

I can't wait to go out for my first time in public and just be myself! (Though I think this calls for a new wardrobe... time to shop! )

I think Rachel has the right word about San Francisco. "nonchalant".
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    Be age appropriate. Shoot for a nice JC Penny look and you should fit right in.
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I heartily encourage you to make a friend or two in SF to hook up with before you go. An accepting environment is not a big deal. Being out with friends is heavenly.

Banned Read only
    I would also suggest Palm Springs, CA based on my recent trip. The mayor there estimates that about 1/3 of the city is LGB or T.