Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDing in the Post Apocalyptic World

Gone to live my life

CDing in the Post Apocalyptic World

Hi all,

While I normally like to post thought provoking threads, I thought I would take a more fun approach on this one inspired by Bima's "Future of CD" post. So here it goes.

Now while this may seem like a frivolous thread designed with humour (it's main intent), there is an undercurrent of seriousness to this which is why I placed it in this section. Specifically, a lot of threads discuss "how important dressing is to you and could you give it up?" I for one don't think I could, not even under this absolute worse case scenario. So . . . Could you give up CDing given the circumstances below?

Pick you poison ladies . . . zombies, evil corporation, atomic war, aliens. However you spin it, you now live in a world that has been reduced to a post apocalyptic wasteland. There is no power, no running water and definitely no hair or nail salons. Laser hair reduction or electrolysis . . . not happening. Make-up is a luxury that disappeared when Sephora and MAC stores were razed to the ground during the early days of the apocalypse and the best you can hope for is to find some used lip balm. Breast forms melted in the fires of destruction and padded panties were buried under the rubble of chaos. Wigs, let's just say they held no value in a post apocalyptic society so have long disappeared or been turned into insulation. There is some good news . . . female clothing is pretty much still available although runs more to the practical (pants, boots, coats, tactical body armour) with strappy wedge sandals, stilettos, LBDs, skirts and lingerie in short, short supply . . . think you would have to sell your soul to get these items.

So my question . . . how would you choose to express your feminine side in such a post apocalyptic world where removal of body hair would be difficult at the best of times and doing so would require the use of a very sharp knife (no MACH 3 razors to be had or Nair depilatory cream). Clothing is more practical. Hair . . . well if you can grow it you can have it. Make-up and breast forms . . . not happening.

Now I for one believe when push comes to shove that survival will win out over the need to dress but that need (for me at least) will not be abated regardless of evil corporations, zombies or alien invaders. So I think I would most likely find a way to express myself in the clothing I choose. Let's face it, in a post apocalyptic society, who is going to hack on you for how you dress. Now I would like to think I could rock "picture 2" but given that my laser reduced beard will most likely make a reappearance, make-up is nonexistent and hair (let's just say I am follicle challenged) I would have to go more with "picture 1" as it hides a multitude of sins. However, if push comes to shove I would still go with "picture 2" on occasion just to say "Hey zombies . . . I can kick your a@# and still look pretty doing it."

Oh you may ask how am I filling out the top part of my outfits without breast forms . . . that's what socks and other such items were invented for.

So back to the original question ladies. Would you just revert back to your male self in a post apocalyptic world or would you find a way to express your inner girl?

Hugs

Isha
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marcelle; 02-23-2014 at 07:54 AM.

When the economy collapses and the rage zombies are everywhere, with aliens on the horizon, I'd probably go with something similar to picture 2. But then I've always both envied and been attracted to Milla , However the Kate Beckinsale look in the underworld movies (pretty much the first one sans headgear). is also very attractive.
    Barbie

The series "Dark Angel" was a good model for this. Although Max was a woman, where there is a will, there is a way. I did it in a third world country while in the Army , so it's not impossible. You learn to become more or less a female MacGyver, utilizing things on hand to accomplish your goal. The fact that I would have action/adventure experiences makes it all the better.We are the ones who keep it alive anyway, even now.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Oh...I'd find a way. There's tons of stuff I'd try now if I could get away
    with it. Don't wanna get too extreme too far ahead though...

It's Good to know about basic chemistry and electricity. Anyone
    can sew/stitch once they give it a try.

I'm going to make a new duct tape dress once I get some time.
    That's definitely on my to-do list.

I'm thinking that with a sharp-edged tool, I could definitely carve out a nice pair of heels.

Not even an apocalypse can dampen the human impulse to improvise.

My inner girl would remain intact.

In a post Apoclyptic situation I would probably resort back to a survival mode. I love killing the zombies now so might even enjoy that. ( by the way my Grandkids taught me how to kill those mean old Zombies). I love the second picture so that would be my choice of costume. Who cares about the beard or body hair mine is getting lighter. Also eye make up can be made with charcoal. Such as the Indians did with certain crushed plants and charcoal sticks. Tools and weapons can be made with fire. Bows can be shape from vines and even arrows from burnt and hardened wooden limbs. Lol here goes my survival mode already kickin in. Red lipstick can be made from crushed cacti fruits. Black finger nail polish would be more scary so that can come from left over petroleum from a car grease that I found on the side of the road. You now have me thinking that maybe my "Bug Out Bag" should have included my makeup and some hose.... With a garter if I am gonna look like picture two. Lol
    Isha you have too much time on your hands honey....... Lol

Wouldn't it be a great opportunity just to go all out femme and who the heck's left to care anyway..!

I guess I'd have to be loyal to my namesake, Ms Beckinsale - she always had better heels than Mila and that would swing it for me...

Or how about the Aunty Entity (Tina Turner) look from '... Beyond Thunderdome." ? That's a prime example of what happens to a wig when you can longer get any antistatic spray...

So no - on a serious note, it'd have to be time to stand up and be counted/ outed...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I would hang out with Jaylyn, and help her make some killer good make up.
    Then we would be dressed to the nines, well, maybe the sevens.
    It would probably be hard to make nylons, that took a lot of years to invent.
    But if everyone else had the Grisly Adams look, we might be SO HOT.
    Maybe then we would be little hotties, that would be a first for me!
    Candy

I think we'd have to all get together, if nothing else for mutual safety. Imagine looking hot and sexy with no law or society to protect us............ugh. This girl has no desire to become the "Belle of the ball" so to speak! Well at least my dear wife knows firearms, and is quite protective.
    Barbie

In that world I think I would go with the Mad Max look, a female look could get a girl in trouble if you know what I mean!
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Oh! I thought we had already arrived.
    I will be a sheep and follow the one that went before me....
    Tina said the Mad Max look.
    I would go with that.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    with strappy wedge sandals, stilettos, LBDs, skirts and lingerie in short, short supply . . . think you would have to sell your soul to get these items.
    What difference would it make? There wouldn't be anywhere to go to wear them!?!?

So back to the original question ladies. Would you just revert back to your male self in a post apocalyptic world or would you find a way to express your inner girl?

Hugs

Isha
    I think folks would be 'way too self-absorbed to care about how anybody else looked...

There is no power, no running water and definitely no hair or nail salons. Laser hair reduction or electrolysis . . . not happening.
    Well the first priority is to get basic services back up, or to never let them fail in the first place.

Make-up is a luxury that disappeared when Sephora and MAC stores were razed to the ground during the early days of the apocalypse and the best you can hope for is to find some used lip balm.
    Since most people wouldn't consider makeup a priority, there'd be a huge amount of it just sitting around in stores, warehouses, back rooms, etc etc. Also it's not hard to make your own.

Wigs, let's just say they held no value in a post apocalyptic society so have long disappeared or been turned into insulation. There is some good news . . . female clothing is pretty much still available although runs more to the practical (pants, boots, coats, tactical body armour) with strappy wedge sandals, stilettos, LBDs, skirts and lingerie in short, short supply
    I'm of the opposite opinion, it would be the "practical" clothing in short supply. The impractical stuff would still be on the shelves/racks/stores/warehouses. Plenty of it in fact. So I'd have all the Louboutin's I'd want.

Sure I'd wear practical clothing while feeding the chickens, tending the garden, and doing chores in my fortified residence...but that wouldn't mean I couldn't put on an LBD for dinner.

Would have to start up a radio station: "It is I, VM, coming at you from a fortified bunker in the middle of Post-apocalyptica. Here's a tip children, don't feed the Yao-guai, that is all. And now here's Civilization by Danny Kaye and the Andrews Sisters"

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

I've played so much Fallout I can probably handle most things a post-apocalyptic world can throw at me, even a lack of proper razor blades (I'll just learn to shave with my machete that I also use to cut down feral mutants/zombies and the like). The radiation will probably burn away my hair anyway.

Huge ass bugs and rodents are the only things I worry about.

Finding a way to express my inner femm self will always be part of my survival tactics. Even when I was at boy scout camp I found a way to express my true self.

Michelle

Hmmm, Isha, hadn't thought about prep for that! Your posts suggest a few things:

1) Mental Preparation -- Read Viktor E. Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning." He describes his life under the most horrible atrocities created by man and provides lessons in how to survive.

2) Get ready -- with razors in short supply you should plan ahead, get your laser and electrolysis done now, while they are readily available. That way you'll have less to deal with later. Same, of course, for FFS and all other surgeries - get them done now so that you are ready.

3) Stock up -- In World War II nylons and cigarettes were huge barter items and could pretty much get you anything, so be prepared with an ample supply of items that will be hard to get -- nylons, makeup, anything likely to be a desirable trade-good. Make sure you have enough for yourself and others.

4) Learn how to substitute. Again, in WW-II, nylons were hard to get so women used artificial tanners and drew a line up the back of their leg to substitute for nylons. Think scraps of fabric for wrap skirts, stuff like that.

5) Dress to blend in. In Rudyard Kipling's wonderful "Just So Stories" he has a story about how the leopard changed his spots. In the story, "Then said Baviaan, "The game has gone into other spots; and my advice to you, Leopard, is to go into other spots as soon as you can." If other women change their fashions we will need to as well (see Isha's illustrations).

6) Band with others. Sad to say, in panic and despair, in war and apocalypse, social rules go by the wayside and, as a woman, you will be considered a useful recreational device and very possibly a trade good. You will need to find protection, although that too will likely be purchased at a cost; as the Eagles ssaid, "Every form of refuge has a price."

7) Learn self-defense.

8) Take every opportunity, now and in the apocalypse, to enjoy yourself!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Sigh, I always knew Christina Kay's Avatar
    I would be a hairy Samurai , with some very ,very feminine gestures and mannerisms.
    Hugs
    Follow your path.. For only you can decide, which way to go.

Aspiring Member natalie edwards's Avatar
    IDK...but if Ginger could come up with all these things on a deserted island I think there is still hope!

Thank you for the bit of hope Natalie
    Barbie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

What a sensational idea for a different kind of Apocalypse movie, Isha!

And, when the end of civilization comes? Sherry will be ready!

220559 220560
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 02-27-2014 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Weapons of any kind are not allowed to be discussed.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherry you rock girl! An outfit for every occasion. I love it
    Barbie

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar

Tank Girl

adopt, adapt, improve!

my role model
    the film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114614/
    the comic: http://titanmagazines.com/t/tank-gir...-girl-digital/
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 02-27-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Weapons of any kind are not allowed to be discussed.

Lost in trans-lation Carrie Ines's Avatar
    In the initial aftermath of the apocalypse after the nukes were launched due to everyone imploding after the final banking crash I managed to find an abandoned police station, there I was able to scavenge an impressive arsenal which I used to defend myself in the raids of hospitals and pharmacies around whats left of the world and while the crack heads we busy raiding for that final buzz I was raiding the birth control and oestrogen and all the spiro i could find along with a lifetime supply of razors, Nair and hosery.

I'm now the leader of the NTWO, if you want your girly comforts you have to come to me...for a price....you work for me now ;-) x
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 02-27-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Weapons of any kind are not allowed to be discussed.

I'd scrounge around until I found a DeLorean that I could restore, outfit it with a flux capacitor, and skedaddle "Back to the Future" to a time just before the Apocalypse, but ahead of our time and when CDing was much more commonplace and acceptable.

I mean really...who needs all that post-Apocalyptic sh*t!!??...

As a loyal watcher of Twilight Zone, I truly understand how devastating a post apocalyptic world can be. Frankly I would make sure that I never made it into such a world, you cant make me go there!!!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain