Thread: Camouflage and the Art of Blending

Gone to live my life

Camouflage and the Art of Blending

WARNING - Long Post

Hi all,

I know two posts in one day . . . but a girl sometimes just has to post and since it has been awhile I thought nobody would begrudge me two posts.

Anyway, as most know I am in the military and when I go out I tend to plan my excursions like I was planning a tactical operation. I have an "Insertion Point" (jumping off point), an "Infiltration Plan" (getting from insertion point to where I want to go), "Actions On Plan" (what happens when things go bad), "Exfiltration Plan" (quickest and safest rout to extraction), and finally "Extraction Point" (getting away safe and sound). Now since I always try to blend on these outings camouflage is a subject near and dear to my heart. As such, I always try to employ the principles I have learned in my day job to allow Isha to blend or according to the number one rule of camouflage . . . hide in plain sight.

From a camouflage perspective blending is achieved by skillfully matching personal camouflage with the surrounding area, to a point where you are part of the background. For a CDer this in effect means becoming just another woman out and about doing her thing. Obviously the number one rule would be the environment dictating the camouflage. It is no good looking like a tree in the middle of open field. For CDing the principle is sound . . . I like to plan my outfit to match the environment I am going to and this includes everything from footwear to jewelry. All is done to blend to the particular environment so I don't stand out as different. Yes I get it . . . "Duh guy in women's clothing" . However, I am trying to minimize impact.

Here are some camouflage principles with a CD twist.

Colour: The greater the contrasting color the more visible the object becomes. For CDers if you prefer to blend in to those around you, neutral colours will allow you to blend into the background. I am not saying blacks and greys as some colour is fine. But bright bold colours will definitely make you stand out and draw attention to you. This would also apply to make-up choice in that bold "clubbing" make-up probably not the best way to blend in a mall.

Shape: Most objects can be recognized instantly by their shape, especially when it contrasts with the background. For a CDer this is more related to body size and male proportions. For some who are slender and small in appearance this is not too much of an issue. For others who are larger proportioned (e.g., wider shoulders), then clothing options can help blend your shape. For example, my shoulders are wider than the average GG so I would use light sweaters to blend out that shape. I have narrow hips so I tend to stick to tops which flare over the hip line to create the illusion of hips. My thighs are quite muscular so I stay away from short skirts and go with skirts just slightly above the knee.

Movement: In the world of camouflage, nothing will get a well hidden person in trouble more than movement. For us CDers it is related more to actual movement when out and about. This includes walk, gestures and confidence. I spend a lot of time watching how women move, carry things, manipulate objects, gesture and incorporate that into my outings to help blend. However, nervous movements no matter how feminine they appear will still get you noticed. As many have said before you have to own the moment.

Sound: When camouflaged on operations, talking is a big "no, no". For CDers out and about, talking and interacting is most likely going to happen. This will be a big problem for most (myself included). Obviously if you are comfortable with your male voice . . . have at it. I tend to soften my voice and make it more melodic. Definitely shy away from a high falsetto approach as you end up sounding like a Monty Python extra or Mickey Mouse.

Smell: In the world of tactics, nice freshly washed soapy smell will get you noticed quickly. It is best to smell a bit "ripe". For CDers this would be the opposite. I find a small amount of scent (not overdone) creates an illusion of femininity when others get a hint of perfume and it goes a long way to blending.

So those are the principles of camouflage I use when out on my tactical femme operations. Hope you enjoyed.

Hugs

Isha

Isha I always love your threads, and while I'm a yank and you're a canu.......err Canadian (J/k hon My great great etc grandfather is Sir Isaac Brock ), Thank you for your service hon

I agree completely with everything you've said here. Dressing apropriately to the venue is key. Now on the scent issue, I had to learn the hard way the difference between cologne and perfume........Smelling like a french brothel at the mall WILL get you noticed. Some of them are quite potent and literally a little dab will do. I still remember "Borrowing" mom's Chantilly and going waaaaay to far with it. Locked myself in my room for 2 days and it took several showers to get the smell off

While the "out and proud" feeling is great, I try not to push it in anybody's face, allthough I've always had this fantasy of going grocery shopping in a cute pink party dress and full petticoats, white knee socks and black patent maryjanes. Do I know this will get me noticed? Yep. Will I do it ever? Probably not because I like to blend while out.

Again hon.....Great thread
    Peace love and hugs
    Barbie

great post isha and very true!! should be page one in our handbook... lol
    my shoulders are my greatest concern, so i usually opt for sweaters and why
    i prefer the colder months rather than the summer

do we have drone back-up in case we crash and burn and need to be extracted??
    paula

As you say it's mostly art and illusion and hiding in plain sight. Making it a fun and adventurous experience is entirely up to us.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

There is never a reason that you should apologize for any quantity or length of posts Isha. They are always top quality, useful, and well written.

That one made its way into my personal file of useful stuff.

Best wishes
    MsVal

I love this post Isha,

It is very well written and I wish I had the benefit of some of this knowledge prior to my first few outings. I have learned my lessons though and can now blend much better. I am going to keep this post and use it to refine my strategy.

Thanks a bunch

Hugs

Michelle

Great post, Isha! And thank you for your service. I know that people say that often enough that it sounds hollow, but believe me, it is really meant.

When thinking camo, don't overlook stripes. One person on a website explained it as follows:

"Horizontial [stripes] make you look larger while verticle stripes with a slight curve cause you to look curvy not fat. Also here are some more tips if you are short and heavy, dresses with a contrasting neckline; narrow or matching belts or no wastline seams will flatter you. Also a sexy cardigan jacket will keep you wast size a secret. Aalso pants and skirts that are straight but not slim!

"if you are tall and heavy, unclutterd silhouttes with emphasis on vertical lines will flatter you. Also dresses with softly belted waistlines and wrapped closings will flatter you and once again softly tailord seprates, such as flared skirts, bow tied blouses and mid lenghth and single breast jackets will make you look hot. Straight leg pants and tunic-length tops."

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    Another excellent post Isha. Yours are always a entertaining read. These are good things to consider with my first trip out coming soon.
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

Isha,
    Good points all round, especially the washing and talking.
    Shape and movement are okay for me.
    Bright shiny and squeaky clean does not work until you put some makeup and perfume on to mask it.
    I speak in a soft voice so that works and the rest of the experience for me comes from subsersive activities I was trained in.
    Sounds like you have just done another course in camouflage.
    My favourite colour.... Anti collision orange.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Isha, thanks for setting out the rules!! I think I knew most of the things that you mention, but it is good to state them in concise fashion for us that were not in the service. Thanks also to Amy for the additions which she made.

BTW, I have noted that Isha has been away, maybe at camouflage training??

Hugs Bria

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Isha, your detailed post reminds me of WHY I and many CDs hate going out dressed. All the extra time and effort spent preparing to go there amongst the dreaded muggles!

I spend about 2 hours making Sherry look attractive, or maybe even hot? Looking in the mirror, I see that my time and effort was well rewarded! Balance that against preparing myself to out dressed. When I spend 2 hours making myself look like an invisible female lump? When I'm very unsatisfied with how I look? And, then I get to go out and be nervous and stressed that I'll be made, or even worse!?

I realize TS's must learn to do this because it's who they r. But, most of us closet CDs r much happier if we dress however we like in private. And, equally as happy to go shopping or out to dinner in drab!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Thank-you for putting your thread in a way that registers with the male mind set even though the topic is far from it. Excellent tactics. Next time I go out if I get in a bind I'll puff red smoke for my safe L.Z.

Bye-Bye Lisa
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Isha, your CDing journey has been interesting to follow from the first uncomfortable outing to now. Your posts provide an interesting chronology. I do like your introspective analytical nature.

A next step is being comfortable being seen as a 'man in a dress'. Camouflage becomes less important as a consequence. That doesn't mean for me anything less than full femme presentation ... just not trying to fly under the radar.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Totally understand the way you look at it.

Wow. Thanks Isha I'm going use this post as my guide for moving from closet to car to the rest of the world. So much to think about, but what fun it will be.

Great tips, Isha, and I can fully relate to you likening the strategies for successfully blending in amongst the GG's when out and about to planning and executing a military operation.

I, too, have adopted that same military mind-set on those occasions when a desperate situation called for extreme measures. I detailed one of those in a post I made about a year ago, where a scouting mission turned into a quasi-stalking exercise to acquire my desired target, which happened to be a "to-die-for" dress that called out to me in a Toronto-area Hudson's Bay department store:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...e-you-pink-fog!

But to take that military analogy one step further - it is always far easier to successfully reach one's objective and occupy the corresponding "enemy territory" or "no man's land" (pun fully intentional ) when one is surrounded by "friendlies" - in our case helpful SA's and enthusiastic make up artists etc. - and not Taliban-like "insurgents" like "Pick-Up Truck" guy from one of your previous posts.

That said, you did perhaps leave out a couple of important additional categories that we also need to pay attention to when it comes to helpful camo gear/disguise choices that facilitate successful blending in - namely appropriate black-out face paint (in our case, a good makeup job ), and customized military kits and ordnance, or as GG's call it - "accessories"...purses, scarves, sun glasses, rings, bracelets, earrings etc.

Banned Read only
    @ Isha - I'm surprised you don't have a military type load out plan for your purse. If you do, that would make an excellent topic. A girl can just never be too prepared!

Great post!

Haha, this is a well thought out and funny post. I personally am more interested in art and self expression than "passing," but I do like the analogy you've created here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

And this, Isha, is one of the great factors that keep me home. I only have one pair of shoes and they have a four inch heel. I mean, how many 57 year old women do you see at the mall in 4" heels, honestly.
    Must buy some flats.

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Isha,

What a wonderful development along classic military lines..

But today - I'm going to slightly disagree and offer an alternative

It's much shorter - and it probably doesn't work in the real world - but it's what I'm happy with ...

It's another type of camouflage - appropriately called 'dazzle paint' - and I think the term could have been coined for CDers...

So fear not Christen and others - us 50+ teenagers are safe for a while yet, behind our dazzle paint...

If you've never heard of it - Google Images...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I really like your analogy, but to my non-military mind, I think you overlooked the key part of the mission.

It is surveillance and maybe counter surveillance.

In order to develop your tactical plan, you need to gain knowledge of the enemy and the terrain. For example, when you are planning your outfit to camouflage in the mission scenario, you need to know the terrain and decide if jeans and a T-shirt or an LBD and heels is the better camouflage. You also need to know the map of the terrain (where the stores are) and other key terrain features like where the bathrooms are and if there is a family bathroom. You also need to know where all the exits are.

During the mission, you need to continue your counter-surveillance techniques (identify groups of young female teens) and plan a router around them.

Oh, and practice with your weapons before the mission, and keep them ready in case your counter-surveillance fails and a bogey surfaces very close to you. I guess I mean, have practiced lines that you can use to get yourself safely out of a dangerous situation, like meeting a virulent homophobe at close range, or an overly freindly guy who is confused about your gender.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Isha have you try this yet. Sounds like a good plan. When going out I always plan ahead. Where I'm I going who will be there what are they wearing what I'm I wearing.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

We do tend to try to "hide in plain sight" don't we?

One thing to consider is the thought processes of the audiences.

For example, a younger male's first consideration is "Can I mate with this person?" He'll look at me from a distance and start checking off cues. All of my cues seen from afar say "female" but as soon as he sees that I'm way older than he is he will stop paying attention to me, exactly the reaction I desire.

Other people have different considerations. A salesperson will not start ignoring me as quickly and in the end I may want to interact with them. Again, this is the reaction I want.

I think that a big part of blending is one's physical actions. The only CDers I've really made are those who behaved like frightened birds, flitting from one place to another without pause. I've tried to learn from this and resist the urge to get away from people who seem to be examining me too closely. When I see a woman a couple of racks away eyeing me I'll shop my way closer to her, even meeting her gaze and smiling. This seems to allay whatever suspicion was in her head and I often get a smile in return.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]