Thread: What would your legacy be?

What would your legacy be?

We've recently had threads about where we think CDing may be in the future, having CD celebrities speak for us but what effect on others do we have personally? How will our actions and attitudes affect those CDers who come after us? Do we really care? For the most part the "nature of the beast" in connection with CDing is a personal and sometimes lonely quest and we usually have our hands full just looking after our own affairs. The thing is though I know people watch us and listen to the things we say. We are more or less trail blazers after all, especially us old coots who have been doing it forever. We do affect others by our actions.

How many of us have been told by former colleagues or co-workers that they were profoundly influenced by something we said or did years ago? How many teachers have been approached by former students who tell them that their life was deeply influenced by something they taught in class? My point is that our actions and decisions do influence others, especially when they see positive results. That's not saying we know everything because honestly the more I know, the more I realize I don't know and can always learn from new comers.

Anyway, all of this being the case, what do you feel your legacy may be for those who come after us? I'm hoping that my axiom of always being yourself will be at the forefront of the personal quests of others in connection with knowing who they are and being able to express their feelings.Not a bad legacy to have I figure.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    With my weight loss surgery and subsequent massive weight loss, I've been told that I've inspired a great number of people to make large changes in their lifestyle. That is truly an awesome feeling, and something I wish I could apply to my life as a crossdresser. I wish there was a way that I alone might help others to increase their acceptance and understanding of others, and make it so that if a child finds they are a crossdresser or TG, that they would be able to find an easier road to acceptance and understanding. I look back at my childhood at the guilt and shame and secrets, and if there was a way for me to make it so that another child did not have to shoulder that, that it would not shape their decisions and future negatively, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

I am absolutely floored when a former student tells me a class I taught drove them to pursue a particular direction in their professional lives. It reminds me to pay attention to what I say when I teach.

Wow, Kate!

Over the past couple of months I discovered that a young person that I know is quite likely trans. I spoke openly with her/his father, revealing my own trans nature, and encouraging further investigation of their situation prior to the full onset of puberty. The father called me over this past weekend and told me that subsequent to my call they did their homework and that the young person is now on puberty-blockers, allowing her/him to make a decision further down the line.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    ...How will our actions and attitudes affect those CDers who come after us...what do you feel your legacy may be for those who come after us?
    Umm...never really thought of that guess I don't really care, actually.

I'm at an age where I give a lot of thought to my legacy, but up until now I've thought about it only in terms of my profession. But you're right. My Transgendered legacy is also important and deserves a lot of thought. I'll have to devote some time to that as well. Thanks for pointing this out.

Banned Read only
    I've thought about this. I know I inspire some number of people because of how I deal with my handicap. I'm hoping that I help a lot of fellow trans* folks out, gay and lesbian folks, and also people in recovery. I'm also hoping that my family and friends remember me with love. I want people to remember that I was about love.

I lonely be cause of the "nature of the beast" If we can change the nature of the beast then things will change also, We have to look at the gay community 30 years ago there to was a lonely quest it still not the best, it much better than ours. It can only change if we change. So what going to be my legacy, I made a difference it may only be a little of a difference, still a difference.

If I can make a few people look at crossdressers in a favorable more normal light, and make it a little easier for others to also dress, then I have created my legacy.
    Just as others have blazed the path before me and offered their support, I hope that I may have done the same for others that come after me.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I know I have a long professional legacy of changing people's lives. What I hope I also have done is to help them be more tolerant and ready to challenge the status quo. I have recently had interactions with friends and colleagues who were being less than kind to people as revealed their transgendered sides. I listened as they wanted to be a part of the herd that was not being kind or thoughtful or tolerant in any way. When asked my opinion I hope that my thoughtful answers made other people rethink their positions. I know it certainly shut down the herd, at least for a little while. Tolerance, thoughtfulness, and empathy for others is, I hope, a part of my legacy.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    That crossdressers come in all sizes, shapes, backgrounds, attitudes & results of efforts

Michael will leave a legacy of a happy marriage (that ended too soon), two kids who he is proud of for what they have become, a reputation in his field as a tough and innovative land developer who put projects together that still leaves his associates scratching their heads thinking "How the hell did he pull that off", twenty five families living in houses he designed, built and sold that went through the Loma Prieta Earthquake (1989) with not as much as a cracked wall.

Miki has yet to develop her legacy but she hopes she can show to other girls and guys it is never too late to be who you are, what you are.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Platinum Member
    My legacy will be my grand kids. Nothing else I've done will leave as much impact.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Like Miki and Kim, it will be achievements I have made and my family.
    I will miss them....
    You are a long time dead....

Hey! I am not going anywhere yet.

Sorry.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

No need to apologize Bev. I just figured many of us would have a legacy and be a legend while still being here beyond our own time like Captain America.

Banned Read only
    Hi Kate,
    I nearly passed this over but by the time I'd read the replies I realised you'd hit a nerve !
    It's all too easy to pass over your own life as humdrum, I don't want my family to treat my Cding as a disability but I would love to hear my children say to the grandchildren Dad did all that with his photography business , rebuilt two houses and gave us a start with our houses, when part of his brain was somewhere else.

Yes, I find it amazing that we can do all we can do Teresa. Most people seem to have one track minds. Ours seem to be on multiple tracks simultaneously.

Since i had to quit my business and leave the Seattle area and move to northern Illinois, i have no new friends, no work. My legacy will be about things i did years ago, as I live in a very unfriendly area, where nobody could care less about me, here.

I hope to one day be remembered as someone who is kind and compassionate and always willing to lend a hand. I have been the fortunate beneficiary of much love and support from a number of awesome men and women. I guess I just want to pay it forward.
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

The big one for me is my prior ambulance service as an E.M.T.

It gives me a warm feeling to know that there's folks out there right now who's quality of life is bit better than it would have been, had I not been there to help them through proper care and transportation after their' injuries/ilnesses. And especially those who would not be here period, and all their families that would have been deprived of a loved one.

One of the greatest moments in my life was a little girl who I'd cared for on the ambulance,(during a visit to their school for a pr demonstration thing), Running up to me and giving me a big hug, then telling the whole school I was her hero.

I truly miss helping people
    Last edited by Barbie Anne; 02-25-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Short circuit between brain and fingers :)
    Barbie

I have a little trouble with isolating a person's crossdressing legacy from the person's general legacy.

The only legacy that I could hope to leave is in the minds and hearts of my beautiful family. Colleagues and friends may occasionally remember some advice I gave them or a bit of trivia about me, but it is quite unlikely their life will be measurably changed because of my presence. Family, however is another thing, and the legacy I wish to leave them is not about one facet of me or another. I wish to leave the legacy of a humble person with faith in God, an unconditional love for family, tolerance for others opinions while upholding my own, and a strong work ethic

Best wishes
    MsVal

I just want to be remembered as a good person who gave more then I received.
    On my tomb stone I want
    Some of it was magic
    Some of it was tragic
    Bur he lead a good life
    All the way

The funniest person my friends had ever met.

I think this thread is about your legacy to crossdressing. So here is mine:

I try to be as open about my desire to wear articles of women's clothing as possible. I don't try to pass. My hope is that by doing so I may inspire others to see that it is OK for a guy to wear pantyhose, ballet flats or a skirt. Even if it only touches a coupe of people, that will be a couple more than before. I was somewhat inspired at a young age by David Bowe when he did his Sat. Light Live performance in a skirt and tights. It made me think... "hmmm... a guy could do that."

So, whatever way each and everyone of us expresses our crossdressing desire, I hope that it positively influences someone else to see that they are not alone and it is OK.

In my life, I've been part of a team that's saved lives many times, occasionally, on my own as well. I've had people come back months later to thank me, but I don't feel that's necessary. I just know, that the people who love that person are glad to have them back. That's enough. With any luck, one of the kids of those people will become another Gandhi, mother Theresa, Tesla, Edison, Ford or someone who will have a major positive impact in this world. Then again, perhaps there was someone like me who saved Hitler from being run over by a truck when he was young. We can only hope for the best.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.