Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toenail polish in the summer?

Toenail polish in the summer?

Hi girls,

I've been painting my toenails for the last couple of months. Nothing too visible, a shiny yet discreet pink. I go to the pool for exercising twice a week and I don't think anybody has noticed my smooth legs and nail polish Or maybe they have but haven't made it obvious... Sometimes I just hope people notice...

What do you girls do in the summer when wearing flip-flops? I would like to keep my nails pretty but I'm not sure how to handle the fact that it would quite obvious if I walked around in flip-flops while otherwise dressed in men's clothes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
    XOXO
    Kellie

Mostly I just don't care. My toes and fingers nearly always have color. Nothing discreet. Right now they are hot pink with polka dots. Lots of people comment on them. Lots of people give me dirty looks about them. Other than my father and a couple of acquaintances, those that don't like them mostly keep their thoughts to themselves.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

I personally like the iridescent polish for Summer. It goes on clear and makes your nails shiny. Then when light hits them, they reflect shades of pink and purple. Subtle in most instances. But quite pretty in the right light.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it."

As for flip flops..... I say Burn them! Burn them all, burn them now, and burn them fast! Take the ashes out into the desert, and bury them in deepest hole you ca possibly dig!!!!
    HOWEVER...... I believe the original intent of this post is in reference to hiding toenail polish in an open sandal of some kind, or even a bear footed beach. Personally, I don't worry about it. Besides, male toenail polish has become an accepted thing among hipsters. Si don't sweat it this summer! (pun intended) and go out and about in your open footwear with your fresh clean peddi

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    just do you......dont worry about what others think...summer is the time to show off, and wear less ( for me anyway)..not cover up...and summer couldnt come fast enough......

In the past I've worn no show ankle socks with my masculine sandles. Lots of men do. I am leaning towards having a great big case of IDGaF and just showing them off this year, as the only people I really care about all know and accept me Oh and Princess Grandpa. Sorry but I shamelessly stole your idea from another thread for pink with white polkadots and spent an hour or so doing it last night. Love my red glitter but that stuff takes forever and then some to take off, and it gets glitter LITERALLY everywhere. Thanks for the oh so cute idea hon
    Barbie

I live in Southern California and I wear sandals or flip-flops literally the year round – I can count on my fingers the number of days in a year that I actually wear men’s shoes. My sandals are from SAS and they are women’s, but they differ only in color from the men’s SAS sandals – the women’s are a slightly lighter brown.

At the moment my toenails are sans polish, have been for a couple of weeks, but I have a couple of gift certificates for a pedi’s at a local salon. The polish on my toes had been on too long and was looking really ratty and it needed to come off. Three years ago come Father’s Day my Daughter, following a suggestion from my Wife, bought me a pedicure at an upscale salon (paid way too much) and she more or less picked out the color. The color? Essie “Your Hut or Mine”, essie refers to it as a Poppy Pink. That was my first pedi and I walked out wearing my sandals and feeling very conspicuous – like the whole world was looking at my feet.

I have to admit that on the following Friday when we did our weekly shopping I was quite nervous walking into the supermarket but it turned out to be a non-event. Even the butchers in the meat department didn’t seem to notice. At one point I walked up to a young woman sitting on the floor stocking the lower shelf, I stood right next to her as I scanned the upper shelves. My feet were mere inches from her hands and she had to notice, but nothing, just a “can I help you find something?” I actually felt a little disappointed when I walked out, I had these beautifully polished toenails and nobody seemed to notice – what a bummer.

I pointed out my newly polished toes to a few of my neighbors saying something to the effect of “Look what my Daughter bought me for Father’s Day, a pedicure.” That received some nods, smiles, and “they look nice” comments. Do people notice? I’m sure they do but rarely do they comment. I’ve noticed that when riding in elevators a lot of people look up or down, rarely at the other people on the elevator; I’ve had women look down and then give me a huge smile. So in two and a half years I have not heard one negative comment. I’ve been to see my Doctor and on one visit she commented that she really liked the color. I’ve worn the original pink, a brighter pink (essie Watermelon), a mahogany reddish-brown, metallic blue, pearl, and red. I’ve had two operations (for cataracts) and wore sandals for the surgeries and all of the pre-surgery visits, and a visit to the ER. I did have one older technician comment when he noticed my toenails “I’ll bet you’re a Grandfather like me with Granddaughters” but that has been about the extent of the comments.

I’ve been thinking I need to see if my Wife would like to go get a pedicure, maybe we could get matching polish, and if not my Wife maybe my Daughter would like a pedicure. Black is definitely out, the mahogany wasn’t bad but a bit dark, I wasn’t fond of the metallic blue, the “Your Hut or Mine” isn’t bad but I’ve gotten to the point where I think it is a bit subdued and I like the brighter “Watermelon” better. I’m sort of a traditionalist and for me nothing is more traditional when it comes to toenail polish than good old fashion red – I’m leaning toward red.
    Babs

I have been wearing nail polish on my toes with sandals for 15 years most don't notice 90% that do are complimentary of it there is the other 10% that are jerks about it

Mine have been painted for nearly 2 yrs I don't car what people think, my wife does them for me and she loves them so if she is happy all good Robyn

Just...do what you wanna do and don't worry about it. It's like, nobody really cares. Not to the degree you assume anyways. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Annaliese2010 View Post
    Just...do what you wanna do and don't worry about it. It's like, nobody really cares. Not to the degree you assume anyways. IMHO
    This. Some people won't notice. Some people will, but won't care. Some will care, but won't say anything. And a few are just asshats. But at the end of the day, you're the only one who puts yourself to bed at night. Be happy.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Rock the polish and own it. I've done it for about 15-20 years now. I don't hide it, I just wear it. If people ask, I tell them I do it cause I like it.

I wear sandals in the summer and my toenails are always painted. Nobody comments. I wear nail polish much of the time and nobody comments on that either. I've had some odd looks about the nail polish, but no comments.

Hi everybody,

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! They are all really helpful.

Funny enough: if I had to summarize what I read, I would say: "Just paint your toenails the way you like and forget about what other people think as long as you are comfortable".
    Well, I am going swimming tomorrow morning and my nails are painted with that discreet pink shiny color I mentioned in my first post. However, for next time, I think I am just gonna
    go ahead and use a more daring color!!

Another question: some of you mentioned that sometimes some people make unpleasant comments about your nail polish. How do you handle the situation? Do you just walk away?
    Are these people making comments women or men?

Thanks again for taking the time to address my question
    xoxo
    Kellie

Kellie,
    It is something I would not do.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I have never had anyone make an unpleasant comment about my polish, not on my fingernails and not on my toenails. Oh, other than my partner complaining that I had done a bad job painting my fingernails myself, or she didn't like the colour.

I would not have any issue wearing toenail polish with open shoes, but I am rather further over the cliff than you are

I would be wearing toenail polish now if not for my #$@#$% nail fungus, which loves loves loves being covered over with dark colors. And it is amazingly difficult to kill it if (like me) you cannot take the oral treatment due to the treatment's effect on the liver.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I wear flip flops and painted toenails in the summer .. all in boy mode. I find that people generally don't seem to notice or if they do they don't care as they don't usually say anything. Occasionally I get a little kid stare and point and ask his/her mommy why that man has painted toenails and sometimes teen girls smile at me. I usually say nothing and just smile back or if I do say something I say "I like being different"
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieCD21 View Post
    I personally like the iridescent polish for Summer. It goes on clear and makes your nails shiny. Then when light hits them, they reflect shades of pink and purple. Subtle in most instances. But quite pretty in the right light.
    I like iridescents too! My favorites are Nina Ultra Pro in "Pink Frost" (not much pink, nice iridescence) and Orly "Love Each Other" with tiny iridescent sparkles. The latter is more for my own pleasure as you have to really look for the sparkles.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Great summary. Do what makes you feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie79 View Post
    Funny enough: if I had to summarize what I read, I would say: "Just paint your toenails the way you like and forget about what other people think as long as you are comfortable".
    Well, I am going swimming tomorrow morning and my nails are painted with that discreet pink shiny color I mentioned in my first post. However, for next time, I think I am just gonna
    go ahead and use a more daring color!!

Kellie

SSummer or winter they should be bright enough to see through nylons

i like to go with a clear coat. i'm not ready for colors yet.

I've been wearing crossover colors so far on my toes: a deep blue, orange (October, and black fingernails for the last 2 weeks of the month), jade, and now bronze, and I only ever get compliments from women and at worst light ribbing from male friends (these are guys who don't know about Audrey.)

Now, as a California girl, I take issue with one reply: Yes to flip flops! No to socks with sandals! hehe (nothing personal!!! Just how we rock it here on the Left Coast)

After reading this thread, I likely will go more "daring" soon, as in more feminine color. Maybe iridescent on my fingers instead of clearcoat.

Don't dream it. Be it.

Kellie,

I say go for it. Having my nails done up all the time is one of the perks my wife does allow. And in sunny southern California I ware sandals on a very regular basis and with bright colors on my toes. I have even had designs out on.

No one has ever said anything,

Richelle

I would wear polish and have shaved legs when using the pool at the gym for my morning workouts. No one said a thing.

I had ankle surgery in 2012, and know everyone who knows me have seen and noticed my shaved legs when checking out my ankle. No one has ever commented on them.

During the summer, wearing sandals, no one mentioned anything about my toe nails. My wife was worried when we went on vacation to the beach, but soon relaxed when no one said any thing.

The only time I ever noticed anyone paying particular interest to my nails was in Sam's Club, and I was paying for a purchase. There was a guy a little behind me in line, and he about broke his neck trying to get a look at my finger nails. My wife thought is was so funny.
    DonnaT

I wear polish all year round. I started off with 'masculine' tones and matte finishes. I have since moved on to metallics, bright colors, fades, stamping & patterns

In warm months I wear them openly when I can, even when presenting as male otherwise. I have never had anyone say anything except my friends & my wife. Light teasing from my friends, and color comments from my wife.

Right now I'm rocking an iridescent purple on the toes and ring finger, translucent white on the other fingers.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder