Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you met someone on Craigslist ever?

Have you met someone on Craigslist ever?

Hi, I am considering meeting this guy on CL whom I have talked for sometime, haven't met though. I am thinking about meeting him as a guy first before inviting him to my place.
    Wondering if someone else have dated someone on Craigslist. How was the experience. Did it last for one night or you dated that person?

Always thought it was a bad idea myself.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I'll bite. I did, once. I met this couple. They were unusually literate for CL "shoppers." We had drinks, convo, and then migrated elsewhere. It was a fantastic evening.

I was expecting re-engagement, based on how things went. In fact, the lady of the couple claimed that I had forced her to "re-up her effort in the beauty department." I was flattered, and eventually she and I went shopping together for an afternoon. Nothing salacious. I was lead to believe that he had been okay with our trip, but near the end of the evening, she mentioned something about him being in a bad mood. After we went our separate ways, there wasn't much more contact. He must have perceived me as a threat. Sad, because I'm respectful enough to only be considered a serious threat to encourage her to buy a lot of shoes. Oh, well. It was great for a second.

The moral of this is that there are perfectly non-psychopathic people on CL. What percent they are? Hard to say. Caution is always a good idea. And let someone you trust know where you are going. Be smart, go with your gut, and I'd tend to think that chances are you'll be just fine.

Good luck!

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Let me be one of the first to warn you to be carefull...that is a shady seedy place. Be for I go and tell you how bad of an idea this is I will say I HAVE met people from craigslist in the past (way past). Inviting a stranger to your house will open the door for future stalking...( jusssayin) You SHOULD meet in a public place first take and take your sweet a$$ time...just be smart REAL SMART...I used to tell a potential guy or cd friend that me and my other cd friends were all hanging out at a friends house and he was welcome to hang out with us ALL. ( This was a lie....to see if he had the balls to show up in a room full of cd's) and when he showed up he realized I was a smart gal protecting myself. Just be carefull...that is sooo not that way to go in 2014. I met 1 cd friend from there but she is a space cadet....and well....i wont kiss and tell on the rest...be smart

As has been mentioned, PLEASE be CAREFUL, CAREFUL, CAREFUL! I recommend a public place to meet, first. And maybe another couple of times, too. I'd chose a bar, or the like. Have a drink, but not too much, and judge for yourself. If you choose to meet them in private after that, I'd also let someone know about your plans. While this seems like a private encounter, you should share all the information you have about the suitor to a trusted friend who knows the details of any private meetings just in case. Morbid? Perhaps. Your safety is paramount, though.
    Tess

Can I just be a girl already?! Please!

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TessInJxn View Post
    While this seems like a private encounter, you should share all the information you have about the suitor to a trusted friend who knows the details of any private meetings just in case. Morbid? Perhaps. Your safety is paramount, though.
    I had a cd friend who did this......

Banned Read only
    My girlfriend does this a lot. She is more than capable of defending herself. Don't expect repeats or often even a real date. One night stands? Yes. Romance - probably not.

There are a LOT of chasers on CL.

If you've had a literate email exchange with the guy, and he hasn't sent you a pic of his junk, in the world of CL he's way above average.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Yes, meet him man to man first.
    At a shoe store,
    if he is a gentleman, he will buy you a pair of heels.
    You can wear them on your first date........ or you can just score a pair of heels

Gold Member
    I would meet at a neutral place like at a coffee shop. Then only after you have a read and feel confident
    about the person you invite them over to your house. Today, caution is the word to remember.
    Rader

It all depends with how you roll. If you are street smart and can take care of yourself, like Paula Q's friend and other CDs, than it is a fine resource for dates. If you have any hesitation or concerns about it, it probably isn't your cup o' tea.

No matter where you end up dating, safety first!

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    I don't trust anyone on the the internet, another reason I don't give away my location.

I have heard too many horror stories about meeting people from Craigslist, so I would never do such a thing and would advice everyone the same advice.

Yes I have, and I've met some cool guys that way, but you have to be sooooo careful: as some of the other girls have already pointed out, always make the first date for a public place like a Starbucks or public tennis court (I've posted pictures of myself in my tennis dress and dared guys to play with me) and make them send you a picture of themselves above the waist before you consider a meetup. Only then exchange email addresses and cell phone numbers, and it's a good idea to get to know a guy that way before you agree to go out with him. Even with those rules, expect to be bombarded by sickos. You have to be ruthless in separating the wheat from the chaff.

Yes, be careful!
    *Jenny*

Define "DATE"..lol Whatever you are looking for,don't do it at home!!!!
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 02-26-2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the OP.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Honestly I wouldn't waste my time. It's a seedy creep fest on there. If you are going to meet him DO NOT BRING HIM HOME! Not until you know him well at least. Think like a woman would when meeting a guy for the first time. She's going to be very cautious. You should be too. How long you have been talking to him has no bearing. Creeps will do whatever they can for as long as they can to get what they want. BE CAREFUL!

I've done it before but you have to be very very very careful....dependig on what you are lookinng for you can have a good time but honestly is not worth the risk, there are much better options

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Oh Lord why would you even consider CL?
    Recipe for disaster I would think, just join a trans group and forget about being so hard up to use CL.

Platinum Member
    Never in a million years!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I also want to add that CL encounters vary geographically[?] In that someone rural with a CL for that hub town and it's surroundings can be quite different from a big city..In most cases,your CL date just wants to "get off"..if not with you,than with the crack ***** on the corner if she is cheap enough..And perhaps you don't "want what she has"... Not saying there aren't a few good people that post,but like Tracy and Barbara said,not the best way to go about it..
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Oh Lord why would you even consider CL?
    Recipe for disaster I would think, just join a trans group and forget about being so hard up to use CL.
    This is actually an over-generalized snap judgement. There are actually lots of nice and respectful people who whose CL, because they may not know of other resources such as trans groups. The key is being able to discern the different types of folks on the site

Funny story: My cousin who's really close, more like a brother and knows nothing of the real me, was chatting up this girl on CL, and even exchanged pics with her, phone calls the whole nine yards. He drives a truck and decided to meet her while out on a run to Cali. turns out she's a Tgirl and he didn't know it till he met her lol. Btw he's an ultra conservative southern boy, and was NOT amused.

Even with phone calls you don't know what you're gonna get outta the CL lottery till you meet them. Also be careful of not just the whole creepy meat market scene, as much as being set up for a bashing. It happens.

If you're looking to just "hook up" it's safer to socialize with the lgbt scene in a local club, or bar, imho.

Good luck and stay safe.
    Barbie

The way you are going about it appears to be a sound way of meeting.
    Get to know the person without giving too much away.
    There are some here with positive replies about what you want to do so I advise some caution any way.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

For selling stuff, I've had mixed results. Initially (about 7 years back) I'd get a lot of normal folks. I sold a bunch of furniture to a group of flight attendants who had been living on inflatable furniture for a year. That being said, of late I find too many creeps on there. Just recently I emailed someone about a dress for sale and got back the reply "Are you a pillow princess," which after an urban dictionary search I realized what this guy really wanted! (and, I didn't bother replying after that) I would say: be very, very careful.

Never met someone IRL. Every creep I've ever responded to sent me a picture of his schlong. (or his schlort, in some cases) That was the end of that.
    Not to paint everyone with the same brush, good luck, be careful, and sometimes you have to kiss more than one frog.