Thread: Talk about a major bummer.

Talk about a major bummer.

A couple of weeks ago I replied to an ad on a Yahoo group called freecycle. A person was giving a way two prom dresses size 14. That's al the ad said, no other details.
    I replied and was plesently suprised the poster actually replied back telling me the dresses were still available. I don't know how many times I have replied to other ads and have been let down by either the items are already spoken for, or else I get no replys back.
    Anyway, we arrange a time to meet and get the dresses. That time finally comes. Oh just a side note. The starter in my truck decided to go out just a bit more than an hour before we were to meet, so I had to change out the starter in the auto parts store parking lot, then get across town to meet the person. I did make it in time, but the person was a bit late. I had missed a text of them telling me they were going to be a late.
    The person didn't even ask or say anything about me a male even wqnting the dresses, as a matter of not much was even said by either of us.
    I thanked the person and we were on our way.
    The dresses are David's Bridal, beautiful, both are floor lenght, strappless with diamond type applicae along the bust line One is a turquiose blue and the other a beautiful purple

SO finally yesterday about 2 weeks later I finally get to try on the dresses. In preperation for pictures, I shaved all nice and smooth picked out which heels to wear with each dress, combed out a couple wigs, and got my make up ready to put on after I tried on each dress. I didn't want to do make up first, because knowing me as ido, I'd have make up on the dresses in no time flat.
    They don't fit, I wear a size 12, I figureed giving some leway as sizes are hit and miss. Size 14 would be ok, Well I was way wrong. I couldn't even get the waist of the dress past my butt, so I had to put them on over my head instead of stepping into them.
    The dresses have hooks behind the zippers, like some slacks have. I couldn't hook them, so I was going to do the ole hook and spin like some women hook their bras.
    That didn't work, I couldn't even get the hooks close enough to hook, nor could I get the zipper close enough to pull it up. The zipper is only about 6 inches long. I tried every trick in the book to either hook orr zip, but nothing worked. I'm guessing I need size 18 since at the top of the zipper puled tight around my body there is about a 4" gap thats needs closing.
    After everything I went thru to get the dresses, I'm so very dissapointed. Seeing those beautiful dresses hanging on the door in their David's Bridal covers, Mocking me, teasing me saying, Ha you thought you finally had a bit of good luck, but oh you are so very wrong, you're not allowed to have good luck.

I guess next prom season, when the local highschool has their prom dress give away, I'll donate the dresses to the school, so some unfortunate girls can have a beautiful dress to go to prom in.
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

That is a major bummer . Well, at least you are going to do something nice and donate them. One question though: how would you explain your possession of prom dresses if you are asked?

Silver Member
    A word of caution about buying wedding dresses. Many have been altered. I've owned a couple and tried on several. The reason I've owned two is that the first one was not true to size.

I have a couple of disappointments hanging in my wardrobe like you describe.
    I just can't bear to part with them. "Sob."
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Sorry to hear about what happened but I think you have a wonderful idea about donating them to girls who are wishing for prom dresses. You will be doing a beautiful thing.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Lisa - I can feel for you too...

It's that feeling when you see something on a hanger that looks so right, and the size label also looks just right, and you try it on... and... what is this? How can anybody think this is a size 14...!

Elation.... Anticipation.... Utter disappointment and loss.... I guess that's karma...

And the moral is... I don't know - maybe sometimes try a size up on the basis that those sizes will be screwy too..?

But nice of you to donate the dresses - that'll help your karma, at least...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Silver Member
    Good story, great answers! It does happen that David's Bridal sizes usually do run about 1 1/2 sizes SMALLER than off the rack attire as their dresses are made in the Asian market! As for giving them away - tell the school the dresses were your nieces or younger cousins. Enjoy.

Sizing is always tricky, especially in the bridal industry, after all, it's the kind of dress a women would try on before buying it in a retail shop.
    So stated size is not that important.
    Hope you didn't spend to much on them, keep trying, somewhere out there that special dress awaits.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Like an above poster said, maybe they have been altered... Hopefully when they took it in, they didn't cut away the excess, so it can be let back out. I did a story one time on formal wear, and retailers often encourage people to get a bigger size when they order something, so when it comes in they can say "Hey! your diet really worked!" and then charge for alterations!

Aspiring Member
    Well it was a good try anyway! And now you know how quickly you can change a starter in adverse conditions!

Good luck on your next hunt for the perfect dress!

what a bummer it is always hard to tell what sizes they really are thru the mail

Banned Read only
    Our Goodwill shops have racks of donated gowns for sale in May and June for proms. They are fairly reasonably priced. You could extend your generosity by buying more gowns off the rack with the "intentions" of donating them to a local high school, but, keeping one or two that actually fit you. Prom and bridesmaid gowns are not made with fabric that stretches. Given the shape of a male body I would not expect many gowns to fit just off the rack. Goodwill hauls out the gowns at Halloween too. I suspect that is for the cross dressing crowd.

I like your plan to donate the dresses, even if the are a big let down for you they will really make the day for someone else!!

Hugs Bria

Although it didn't work out, I'm glad you're making the best of it, and making someone else's day with your idea of passing it on!

In my experience, the David's Bridal sizes are a bit off.

Thats a pity it's always disappointing and does happen unfortunately. Thats always the gamble when you can't try a dress on first. I was at a thrift store couple of months ago, spotted a red oriental style satin dress it was uk size 12 I can fit into size 10's. Got it home and no luck almost dislocated my shoulder trying to get it on then trying to get out of it, ha! You got them for free soat least you didn't throw any money down the drain. How in the hell did you last 2 weeks without trying them on, that would drive me crazy!!

I have only one word a a solution.... "Corset" Good luck, and it is cool you are going to donate them.

All girl, all the time! ❤ Felicia Dee's Avatar
    Hey! What about a little bit of sewing?? I had found a FAB, slinky 1960's style of dress in my signature color -- red -- which NEVER HAPPENS and I had a 2 inch gap at the zipper. Boo. Then, It occurred to me to do an alteration. Why not, right? I went to the fabric store and matched the fabric/color, went home and let out some seams and went to town. Not perfect. BUT, if paired with a cardigan...
    "I'm a work in progress..."

Sizes are ridiculous, seriously, I think it is secretly a female badge of pride to be able to decode sizes of female garments. i should start a list or blog...

In general- pants & jeans run big. I am roughly 42-35-42, C cup, with forms. But I have kind of a muscular chest & torso. I can fit into a size 14 dress- purchased at Macy's, Penney's, Bloomies, L&T, etc. But 14 in a formal wear dress like a wedding dress or such is really about 2-3 sizes smaller. Not fair. The sizes for dresses at stores have become increasingly more generous/flattering over the years- mostly because it is flattering to the buyer. Hey, I like the idea of being able to fit into a regular size (as opposed to woman's size or Plus size) dress. I even bought a sz 12 career - look (wear to work) jacket and dress, size 12, and they fit well! Anne Klein, i think, bought from Macy's. Anne Klein has a big section in macy's and obviously moves a lot of stuff.

So here are some observations on tagged or named sizes by categories:

I'll use the Anne Klein, Tahari, Jessica Simpson etc. brand dresses as a base:
    - means the garment runs smaller, too tight, for the marked size.
    + means the garment will fit looser than the marked size.

** Anne Klein, Tahari, Jessica Simpson etc. brand dresses and pantsuits =
    +-0 (reference)
    Juniors sizes =
    -1 to -2
    ** Skirts = -1 to -2
    ** Pants = 0 to -1
    ** Jeans = +2 to -1
    ** Blouses = 0 to -2
    ** Dresses
    ** semi formal / social event = 0 to -1
    ** Prom = -1 to -3
    ** Wedding = -2 to -4