Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what voice to use ??

what voice to use ??

ok as the title states : what voice should i use for my first time out in public my female or male voice? im pretty passable so im leaning towards my fem voice. or no talking at all?? not talking is very hard for me because im a motor mouth lol.

what do all you gurls do with this when going out?
    Just in Love with being Jenna the hot mess !

I'm sure you won't get a consensus on this. But use whatever you feel most comfortable with. I tried working on a femme voice way back when. But when it came time to use it, it just felt forced and fake. So I tend to just use my regular voice, jarring though it may be. After all, this thing we do is all about being who we truly are, right? Go with what works!

Femme voice!! Be the woman that you want to be!!! I use my femme voice (or what I hope is a good attempt).

Hi Jennifer and welcome to the Forum. I think that the answer is obvious, use your femme voice for as long as possible. I can do it, but like you as a fellow motor mouth, I usually forget about it 2 minutes into a conversation and revert back to my male voice, which isn't that bad. I know that it really takes concentration and practice to get that voice right, not too high, and the maintain it.

Well, I only have one voice Hon. So, that's the one I use although maybe a bit softer.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

If you have a good female voice go for it. Mine isn't all that good so basically I just try to slow down my pace and enunciate. Since I don't think that my looks fool a lot of people I don't think my voice is a liability. To me a win is if I can confuse or leave them doubting a little.
    I think living in the northeast (where even the women are a little gruff, especially in NY) makes it a little easier than other parts of the country.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    When Tina first appeared to us, my wife noticed that Tina's voice was softer immediately, even with no pitch change.

Once I learned to eliminate the bass section of my voice,there was just no turning back. That "sans bass" voice IS Tina, and she uses it all the time. The other thing that I noticed quickly was that Tina had to change the way she spoke, used words and phrases, because she didn't have that bass part for tonal variation, and that all took time and practice. Nothing like talking to yourself during the solitary commute twice a day!

ive got a pretty decent femme voice at least i think. i talk loud in my guy voice so i found just like Tina if i lower my tone a bit the raspy bass of my voice almost dissapears. im dying to try it on the general public lol. most likely ill get some confused looks since im pretty passable

Use you femme voice! If you can do it, go for it. Practice on the phone with someone. Call up a clothing store and ask about a particular item in your best Jennifer voice. That's how I practiced!

Don't focus on it so much. Just have fun!

You don't have to sound like James Earl Jones doing the voice-over of Darth Vader , but just be yourself......it's the best way to feel loose and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffani View Post
    Use you femme voice! If you can do it, go for it. Practice on the phone with someone. Call up a clothing store and ask about a particular item in your best Jennifer voice. That's how I practiced!
    thats actually an awesome , easy no committment option!! i like it lol

Platinum Member
    Why not use a fem voice. And take some time to practice...then you can talk all you want!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I speak softly when out, except when addressing a crowded room.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Your femme voice won't be perfect but that shouldn't deter you.

My approach is to soften my voice, raise its pitch a bit, and try to resonate in my nose, not my chest. The key is subtlety. The difference between male and female voices is only half an octave in pitch, but the manner of speech is also markedly different. Women almost sing when they speak. Just do the best you can each time and your voice will develop naturally.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Aspiring Member
    If you claim to be passable and a femme voice too? That's a no brainer unless you are looking for shock value.

Gone to live my life
    When presenting as Isha I always use a female (well a close facsimile of one) voice. I am sure people know so I could just use my guy voice but for me it is part of the illusion (well at least to myself). So if your voice is passable . . . I say channel your inner girl and talk away.

Hugs

Isha

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel M View Post
    If you claim to be passable and a femme voice too? That's a no brainer unless you are looking for shock value.
    well my Jenna voice could still use some work lol.... but im gonna give it a go when im out. i dont really care if someone outs me cause it part of the thrill

Trying to have a fem voice is about as convincing as trying to look like a GG, at least in my case. My male voice is quite low, so I raise the pitch a little. Actually trying to sound like a female seems OK for brief encounters, but if conversing for a longer period just be yourself while talking. Maybe it depends on who you're talking with?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I'd say it'd depend on if you're trying to pass or blend. and what's the venue? Will you be attending a function with other ladies like us, or alone to the mall?

My voice is extremely low, and I usually wind up as lead bass in whatever choral group I join. I can not pull off a female voice so I just try to soften mine. I don't do falsetto as it actually hurts my throat to try.

Try practicing while you're recording. Yeah I know sounds like a lot of work but our voices always sound different to us when we hear it from our own mouths, vs. hearing it from a recording. You'll hear it as it truly sounds to others.

Cultivate a voice that works for you.
    Barbie

Silver Member
    Ms. Jennifer
    What have you been waiting for? You are passable and have a female voice and are now just going out, huh? If you want to test out how you sound, at least over the phone call your cell phone and use her voice in a voice mail message. I usually just talk in my regular voice and try to slow down and enunciate a bit more. My voice often cracks so playing with it can make it very obvious that I'm trying too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffani View Post
    Geez, that's brilliant! Thanks for the good idea.

(:

All girl, all the time! ❤ Felicia Dee's Avatar
    The best advice I ever got was to sing along with women who have somewhat low pitched voices and do your best to match their pitch and cadence. For me (lately), it's Pink. Also, it doesn't matter if you can actually sing or not, the point is to train your voice to operate normally in a higher pitch. And that phone idea is sound advice.
    Last edited by Felicia Dee; 04-27-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KaliBrooke View Post
    Geez, that's brilliant! Thanks for the good idea.

(:
    Thanks! I can tell easily if the person on the other end wasn't falling for it. They act like they just want to get you off the phone. On the flip side, I can also tell when they don't suspect a thing. That is a good feeling!

If you go fem: Do it.

If you're unsure: Test it out on someone.

If you feel comfortable using the male voice while dressed: Do it.

I would use as fem as a voice as I could and hope that it's not too male sounding.