Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year since walkin out that door!

One year since walkin out that door!

Hi,

I am coming up on that 1year mark since the first time I ever left the house presenting as Laura. I'm writing because I need to express some feelings, because some who are at home like to read stories like this, and finally in case any veterans want to share what year 2 might be like!

Last March I attended a Tri-Ess meeting. I had NEVER been out before. Never a late night walk, never a drive, no gas stations, nothing. I hit 40 and just felt like I HAD to get out and meet someone like myself. I talked it over with my wife and I went. The people there were wonderful. So nice, so welcoming and sincere Ifeel so lucky to have met them and built relationships with many of them. That day, I went there, changed there, hung out, changed back and went home to babble incessantly.

It wasn't all good moving forward. I began to question "What the hell am I doing?" I was afraid, guilty, and ashamed. I missed a bunch of meetings. Then in the fall I hit rock bottom and realized I couldn't face a future without this outlet and my new friends.

Since then I haven't looked back. I no longer feel ashamed or guilty. I fear the blowback from being outed but not actually being outed. I still take precautions but I drive en femme now, I show up with my ladies coat and bag and have a grand old time.

I've been to a wig boutique, to our Holiday Party at a local hotel, to First Event, made a girl FB page, and lastly I've been to our local club. I love it!

Now, I've never been to a Main Stream venue, among the muggles, though I have had some minor muggle contact. Maybe next year? I SO want to go to Kohl's, sigh...

But Beware those who would venture forth! I have a longing for more that feels as though it will pull my heart out of my chest. This is a problem since I'm married with children. But, a longing that is occasionally fulfilled is better than hating yourself, I think.

I couldn't have gotten here without my TriEss sisters, but I would NEVER have gotten there without my sisters on this board who are always so encouraging and positive!

Thank You,

Laura
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

Thank you for sharing Laura... Especially for us girls who are still at home, for one reason or another...

Your openness and insight is much valued and helps with those feelings I have about getting out - maybe similar to yours - and the potential pitfalls of doing so, but as you so rightly express, perhaps occasional fulfilment would be better than pent up angst.

I'm so pleased that your journey to date is an overall positive for you - and I'm sure, like others, I'll be looking forward to any future forays...

Again - big thanks to you for taking the time and effort to share your experiences and feelings...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Trying to remember year 2...Nope nothing that stands out, it was just better than year 1
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The fact is that since this is a real part of many of us, it's better to address it than try to ignore it. Sounds like you are doing well with that Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

As you reach out to veterans of year two, remember that others will look to you as a veteran of year one.

It sounds like you are in, or at least very near your place of personal comfort and satisfaction; your happy place. It makes me feel good just thinking about it.
    Thank you.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Junior Member Kristina_nolagirl's Avatar
    New Orleans and San Francisco a few times a year. Also travel the US.
    Hi Laura,

It's so wonderful to hear about you finally coming around to loving yourself and losing the guilt and shame! It makes me so sad to hear when people have shame simply for dressing up and/or going out. You're not doing anything wrong and you deserve to be loved most of all by yourself. When you love yourself it makes you a better husband, father, friend and person in general. So in my opinion, you going out to meet with others like you and make yourself happy is a benefit to your family, not something to be ashamed of. Plus, according to your profile image, you make a beautiful woman!

Good luck with getting out shopping this year - it's so fun and most retail workers have seen CDs before so I find them to be very friendly overall.

Xoxo,
    K
    My Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristinanolagirl/

Better get busy living, or you get busy dying.

Ms Laura, very well written account with insight and candor. Happy Anniversary !

Platinum Member
    I think with a wife and children and probably a job and privacy of the family to protect you have a sane approach. I'm an at home cross dresser and have always be guarded as to how I may expose my cross dressing to the detriment of the family. I would think any wife would prefer your outings among similar minded men and women than venturing out into an unknown world. There is a degree of safety in attending your meetings. Frankly, I think hanging out with people with similar interests makes total sense. As a modeler of military models, I would see no benefit in attending a modelers meeting or convention attired as a female. I would be totally out of place.

Banned Read only
    Congratulations Laura - it's really scary going out at first. You get used to it after a while though. I think you've made amazing progress.

A year ago, I bought my first wig and breastforms, and an actual dress. I'd never had any of this stuff before! The first time I dressed outside my home was at a TG support group meeting in Tulsa. The second time was the same meeting, but I went out to dinner afterwards with a couple of the other girls there.

This year, I'm no longer using the wig or breastforms because I have my own hair and breasts. I am about 100 hrs into electrolysis on my face, and have very, very little shadow left. I've had some voice coaching and my femme voice is starting to come together. With a little makeup, I pass most of the time. (I can greet other women at the sinks in the women's washroom with no issue.) I'm not sure what year 2 will bring me yet, other than divorce though. Hopefully some surgery, but that may not happen this year. Oh - name and gender marker change, definitely getting that done this year.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Congratulation for you!

For me, as time has gone on I have just felt more and more normal living a half and half sort of life. Instead of focusing on anything trans, I tend to focus more on just living my life, part of which happens to include some trans related stuff.

Banned Read only
    Laura, I'm moving in to year three now. I do not go out a lot nor do I think I need it more now than before, but every time it feels more "normal" to me. THAT's the big change for me.

Platinum Member
    Laura, in some ways I'm surprised that it's already been a year but time does rush by. You possess such a great sense of style and poise that comes through with your pics...one might think you were a veteran.

So that first year is past. And you're wondering what's ahead. Well, experiences vary. For me the first year of being out was followed fairly quickly by a second year of coming out selectively to a few friends and neighbors and a third year doing more of the same. But my path has differed in that my first forays were daylight ventures to public venues...the mall, the grocery, my hair dresser, etc.

With kids and other concerns you may quite reasonably elect to take a different approach. The main thing is, please resist the self doubt. When you have a low, get dressed and do something. Nothing better to counter those needless fears.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Laura,
    At least you have made a life change that has helped you better things for yourself.
    Congratulations.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You look great Laura and congrats on your anniversary. My first time out was 1 year ago last month. I started on the other extreme though, going to restaraunts and shopping and such amongst these muggles, the muggles don't seem to cair. Even got my nails done before in femme. I later on started reaching out to other tgs/CDs in October and have made so many new girlfriends since whom I go out with very often. I hope in year 2 you are able to muster up the confidence to go out with these muggles! They really don't care and neither do I whether its getting beer at a gas station or getting a dressing room to try on some new outfits at any store and I don't even try to sound like a girl, just talk normal smile and remember that you should act like nothings a bother because there isn't...unless you get a run in your hose :O

Congrats,
    Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Laura View Post
    Hi,

I am coming up on that 1year mark since the first time I ever left the house presenting as Laura. I'm writing because I need to express some feelings, because some who are at home like to read stories like this, and finally in case any veterans want to share what year 2 might be like!

Last March I attended a Tri-Ess meeting. I had NEVER been out before. Never a late night walk, never a drive, no gas stations, nothing. I hit 40 and just felt like I HAD to get out and meet someone like myself. I talked it over with my wife and I went. The people there were wonderful. So nice, so welcoming and sincere Ifeel so lucky to have met them and built relationships with many of them. That day, I went there, changed there, hung out, changed back and went home to babble incessantly.

It wasn't all good moving forward. I began to question "What the hell am I doing?" I was afraid, guilty, and ashamed. I missed a bunch of meetings. Then in the fall I hit rock bottom and realized I couldn't face a future without this outlet and my new friends.

Since then I haven't looked back. I no longer feel ashamed or guilty. I fear the blowback from being outed but not actually being outed. I still take precautions but I drive en femme now, I show up with my ladies coat and bag and have a grand old time.

I've been to a wig boutique, to our Holiday Party at a local hotel, to First Event, made a girl FB page, and lastly I've been to our local club. I love it!

Now, I've never been to a Main Stream venue, among the muggles, though I have had some minor muggle contact. Maybe next year? I SO want to go to Kohl's, sigh...

But Beware those who would venture forth! I have a longing for more that feels as though it will pull my heart out of my chest. This is a problem since I'm married with children. But, a longing that is occasionally fulfilled is better than hating yourself, I think.

I couldn't have gotten here without my TriEss sisters, but I would NEVER have gotten there without my sisters on this board who are always so encouraging and positive!

Thank You,

Laura
    You're a Daisy if you do! -Doc Holliday

I can testify that joining a group is a really good way to begin in getting out and comfortable. Your experiences will be unique and you may be already ahead of some 2 and 3 year vets. I am in my second year but I have transitioned and live as me now, so it can vary quite a bit.

It takes time to get used to it, and at first there is safety in numbers. I have found that now the only time I get clocked is when I am with someone else who is dressed. The more in the group the more likely it is going to happen. When it is just me it never happens.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Platinum Member
    Hi Laura, That was a great story, I'm so happy for you .
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Congratulations on your progress. There is a very poignant statement in your post that really struck me. "I have a longing for more that feels as though it will pull my heart out of my chest." But then you go on to comment that there are other things that are more important. Have you been reading my mind? If all those more important things went away, heaven forbid, then what?

so what is your plane for next year

Genie your absolutely right about the voice thing and all. Although I am transgendered I still understand all the insecurity stuff to. But I think the more TG's and CD's that go out and come out makes it easier for those whom will do that later. Laura I am happy for you and proud of your first year. We nned to have a ceremonial dinner. With music and such. Year two will be exactly what you make it to be.

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    I am in year two. Year one was exciting! Year two is still exciting but with more confidence. I like being a guy. I like all my guy activities and stuff. I like being able to scratch, spit, cuss, weld, tear things apart, tools, getting dirty. I never want to transition. I am married to someone who is the light of my life. This has not been easy for her, even harder for me as a result. But I still get a kick out of the whole dressing process, going OUT, and most of all having some OUT enfemme time with other girl in our group. I am a guy 100% and maybe 57.319% female when so dressed. I am more than me. I am us. And I am happy with us. So year two is going great. My wardrobe, shoes, bling, wigs, and makeup all are beyond anything I could have imagined. I can now put a look together and if the lights are dim enough, if the people forgot their glasses, if the magic fairy dust is free flowing, I can fool at least myself.
    Going OUT enfemme is certainly the best part. I wish everyone could experience it. Find a group that helps girls make these steps and join them. This is the most fun you can have in women's clothing.
    And please take a look at my threads with photos so you can see that even a pitiful look can go out in public and not be stoned.

Laura others have already said it but good for you I hope the second year is 100% better then the great first year. Connie

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I am still working up to day one. Year one is hard to imagine. Congratulations!

Hey Laura, As one of the stay at home type of girl's I'm really happy to hear of your experience. Truly happy for you, happy anniversary!
    If I looked like you, you couldn't have kept me home if you locked me in the cupboard under the stairs.

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Hi Laura, it was this site that helped me to no end. When I found this site I was over 40, but the revelations and experiences shared by many on this site has helped me so much over the years, increasing my confidence to go out and not look back.

Thanks for sharing . Yes, it will be more challenging going to muggle territory. Your "veteran" will be tested a lot more there. Veteran is a shopworn word in the USA, i think. We are all veterans of something, aren't we? It is veterans of combat, war, that have the greatest right to that word. But, "rookie" may be a good word for some of us!