Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One year since walkin out that door!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Laura, thanks for sharing this, what wonderful thought and insight to how many of us feel and deal with this day in and out.
    While I've only been on one real outing I so want to again but with my SO not in favor of such things I admire those who do but yet still have those fears.
    Hugs Leigh

What a great story, makes me believe there really is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I don't want to come across the wrong way but I believe your wife should get some credit, sounds like she is very supportive when you joined and I guess she still is. Again what a great story put a smile on my face and gave me hope that maybe one day I could go out and hang out with some friends here.

Thank you for all the congratulations and well wishes!

It seems that the 2nd year has been better for most. I hope so, I fear some sort of recoil, but then I'm a nervous Nelly.

Like Nadine and Jennifer said, I hope for a "normalization" emotionally. I already see hints of it. I don't quite obsess about it like I used to. There is WAY less anxiety leading up to outings now and this is something my wife has appreciated as well.

As far as muggle interaction, I don't fear it rationally, it just comes on. Like a feeling that your head has swollen to 3 times it's size. But, maybe with the little bits I get here and there, it will start to fade. Out of respect to my wife, I would only go to venues pretty far from home. Maybe closer to Boston. It's so hard to get ready that my monthly outings are about all I can handle now anyway. Ugh, to have electrolysis to simplify the makeup!!!

Heading to the club tonight, sporting an LBD! Hope to have some pics.

If you're out there, and want to go out but afraid, find a group! TriEss, sisters family, whoever! I know from my perspective, we can't WAIT for new members and we're DYING to help if you're interested in improving your presentation. If you can head straight to the mall and use the ladies room, I bow before you, teach me Sifu.
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

Happy Anniversary Laura. I'll never beout like that I'm not 10% goodlooking enough to get out. I do get out waking the dog at night and from time to time drive also at night.
    Angie

Gone to live my life
    Hi Laura,

Congrats on your one year anniversary going out and about. Unfortunately, I have only been out and about for six months so have no veteran information or secret handshakes to share. All I can say is keep living the dream and enjoy your second year.

Hugs

Isha

Can't wait for pics of your LBD Laura! Hope you have fun!
    You're a Daisy if you do! -Doc Holliday

Wow, you're awesome! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Laura View Post
    ...Now, I've never been to a Main Stream venue, among the muggles, though I have had some minor muggle contact. Maybe next year? I SO want to go to Kohl's, sigh......
    I was very lucky to have a friend who immediately took me out among the Muggles, in the tourist trap of Solvang, no less. There I was, all 5'14" of me, surrounded by hundreds of camera-festooned tourists about half of whom seemed to be Japanese. We shopped, dined, and attended live theater (Hairspray, no less!). We had a great time and this broke the ice splendidly!

Although I do still participate in a CDing group, most of my public time is in Muggleland. It isn't nearly as daunting as it seems. CDing is the farthest thing from a Muggle's mind and that makes blending in easy. It would be very embarrassing for a stranger to question the presented gender of another person so I am always treated as my presented gender. We go shopping everywhere and Kohls is a favorite destination. I've never had a negative issue at Kohls or any other store. I'm not naive enough to think that I am always passing, but the fact is that my money is green and CDers have the reputation of being prolific shoppers!

When one goes to a "LGBT friendly" venue people are more savvy and expect to see us so I'm almost always made. This doesn't bother me and in fact can be a fun experience. I remember sitting at a table with 12 ladies, half CDers, half spouses, and having a GG come up to us gushing how wonderful it was that we could all go out and have fun and how gorgeous we all looked. I think that she was being nice about our looks, but she was genuine about the ability to be out in the presentation of our choice.

So, Laura, resolve to get out there and enjoy a trip to Kohls or wherever. The only danger is to your wallet!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]