Thread: The Skirt

The Skirt

Saw a true crossdresser the other day. I had to get to the bank to deposit a pension check and didn't have much time to get there. As I entered an intersection to turn left, I saw someone in a long "hippie" skirt crossing the street; tall, slender and hair down to the shoulders, a look that I've always liked (child of the '50s & '60s etc.).
    As I pulled ahead enough to the face, there was a full beard! And he STILL looked good in the skirt! I wish I'd had the time to stop and tell him so. Just somebody going about their business for the day and very comfortable in their own skin.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Funny, reminds me of years ago, the first time I saw a guy in a skirt, not a CD as such, just a guy in a Tee shirt and a wool pencil skirt in robins egg blue. Very pretty color in fact. He ran a store selling large pillows, hippies where using for furniture. We spent about a half hour talking about his pillows, but I really wanted to talk to him about that skirt, I had wanted one like it since 8th grade, when all of the girls where wearing them. But back then I just couldn't get over how brave he was dressing like that in public, and he wasn't even trying to pass, I could have passed back then, and wouldn't go out, and here he was, big burly guy in a skirt, I was in awe of him.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    In Seattle, about five years ago, while at Mass I saw a young man going to Communion wearing a black sleeveless dress and sandals. He didn't seem to attract much attention from his fellow parishioners.

Well I'm glad you thought he looked good, but he probably doesn't identify as a crossdresser, and might take exception to being described that way. Skirts, and skirt like garments are regarded in most Western societies as being for females, but not elsewhere in the world. Arabic nations, India, Indonesia.....all have skirt , robe or "dress" type garments that are acceptable wear for men.

I am working my nerve up to wear skirts a, kilts, long tunics, that sort of thing in public. Have made some progress, will try to get it accepted at work. I gave up the beard a long time ago, and there's no way I can grow shoulder length hair anymore.

"Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Here for a visit
    I've seen that too. No big deal

I would never stop to comment to someone like that, they have already formed their own opinions by now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Several years ago I was shopping with the SO and we see someone coming out of a Gap store with a dog in tow. What caught my eye first was the nice tweed skirt and matching tights. Then I saw the ugly clogs and was about to say that is so wrong, when I realized it was a guy from the waist up. I'm glad I didn't say anything out loud because it would have sounded like I was objecting to his semi-crossdressed presentation rather than his poor fashion sense.

A few years back I saw a group of sisters at the MOA. They were enjoying themselves and everyone around didn't give them a second look. I wish I could have been with them that day.

The first guy I saw in a skirt was in the early '60s (I was still in high school); this is not the first or only time I've seen this.
    I am well aware that other cultures have different dress codes; this qualified as "none of the above" by a wide margin.
    The thing that got my attention was the skirt, not who was wearing it. I think he would likely have appreciated a compliment, but it is none of my business, so I didn't try.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I'm a skirt in public man. I wear all womens' clothes when I go out. I mean, they're all mine, but they were made for a woman... I have gone out in dark hose and heels, etc. People look, but they won't stare if you make eye contact. Rarely someone will laugh or make a comment. I have never put my self into a situation where someone has frightened me. I try to go out during school hours to good places like the mall or stores. I'm pretty sure I could start going to work this way and the ripples of surprise/shock would dissipate in a week or less. One fun anecdote: Once I was dressed up and Christmas shopping. I was wearing a lanyard with my ID and cash in it because I had no pockets in my skirt and I don't carry a purse. More than once did someone approach me for help because they thought I worked in the stores I was in. People looking for help will approach an employee who is presenting male and wearing a skirt.
    Last edited by jjjjohanne; 03-09-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Reality Check
    We all have our own reasons for wearing what we wear and personally for me, it's all or nothing. I have no wish to draw attention to myself by wearing things that would do just that. There are no laws in most western countries on what must be worn as long as certain body parts are covered.

I'm sure this guy had a reason for wearing a skirt. He might have lost a bet or he might just have a need to be noticed.

Silver Member
    A few weeks ago while waiting in a large Midwest airport I noticed three (male?) oriental individuals wearing dark knee high skirts, matching jackets, pastel colored shirts, no neckties, and black loafer style shoes without stockings. One of the group had longer hair and IMO could have been a gal. In a few moments two guys in traditional business suits/ties joined the three in skirts and the entire group walked away. Haven't heard or read anything about the skirt being a new male fashion in the orient.

Thumbs up

Being comfortable in your own skin is priceless. My wife and I go out regularly and we are treated like two ladies.

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Coincidentally, some days ago I saw a guy walking along the street wearing a common male white T-Shirt and a long hippie skirt also, with male sandals.

If I wasn't driving a car I think I would stop and compliment him, not for of the look (not a big fan of that hippie look) but for the attitude of wearing a skirt in public.

I like to see that things like skirts are making it into male fashion. Urban apparel has recognized this with their unisex skirt:
    http://www.theurbanapparel.com/men/c...arel-2905.html

That unisex skirt is pretty awesome! Expensive, but awesome... I prefer my skirts just a bit shorter though...
    I finally figured it out! - I'm a Lesbian Trapped in a Mans Body!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/sexycindycd

Quote Originally Posted by CindyT View Post
    That unisex skirt is pretty awesome! Expensive, but awesome... I prefer my skirts just a bit shorter though...
    Here is how I styled that skirt on Polyvore:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=115692812

Haven't heard of this before but hopefully it's the future of acceptance for anyone

It's interesting to consider that he was in fact a "true crossdresser" - Good for him crossing the fashion line. I often wonder if the reason why we try to pass is because we lack the courage to actually cross-dress (dress in clothing generally associated with the opposite sex) and choose to masquerade as a woman instead? When women started wearing men's clothing (pants) did they try to pass as men?