Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: voice when going out en femme

voice when going out en femme

Does anyone use their original voice when going out en femme?

Lately I haven't been able to get out much en femme but when I do I try to avoid speaking opportunities. If I absolutely can't then I speak very softly.

Platinum Member
    I have. But I usually attempt to soften and raise my voice to a more feminine level. Its not easy and I'm consistent. So, I'm working with the "EVA" voice app on my ipad. So far, I have gained better pitch control. Still a lot to improve upon!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Always use my normal voice as it has worked so far and have no plans on changing.
    Depending on my travel schedule, I'm out 1 or 2 nights a week in SF and have had the most interesting
    conversations with people I meet and don't believe they have cared about my voice.
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

plain jane cross dresser Kimberly Renee's Avatar
    oohhh - didn't know about the EVA app. any other reviews?

I've been thinking about trying a quasi british accent to jump start a voice transition. any thoughts about that?

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    i am fortunate enough to have no bass in my everyday voice...and if I put on my "polite voice" it sounds like a womans..I get mistaken for a women on the phone all the time. Some people have it...some dont....for me it works well in this situation...but not so hot in guy mode...I have to deepen my voice just to hang with the guys.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I basically just use my regular voice. I do try and soften it up a bit I suppose.

Often, especially with family or good friends. I do try to girlie it up for strangers, in the hope of giving a better first impression
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Renee View Post
    I've been thinking about trying a quasi british accent to jump start a voice transition. any thoughts about that?
    Careful with the quasi, Kimberley.... (Just kidding ) - Y'all over that side of the pond might have some luck trying for a posh New England accent - just don't try cockney - Dick van Dyke buried that one in Mary Poppins...

Come to think of it, though, Julie Andrews <obviously> had a great voice and a good accent too. I've been practising on my own in the car (I'll bet others do this...) and I'm trying to culture a similar approach, except I'm going more for Kristin Scott-Thomas who most will know from 'The Horse Whisperer', but more recently 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' where she still has the accent, but is cussing like a trooper - and I quite like that: posh bird angry - that could be me...

There are plenty of US-originated voice feminisation training vids on good old YouTube, so take a look there...

I figure as long as I can say "I'll have a chardonnay and that's a large glass, please.... thank you..." that should get me by initially...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

If you keep your voice and just raise it a little bit, others will know you are a crossdresser, right?

God(dess) of Mischief Brea Lynn's Avatar
    This is something I have been working on myself, and yes, if all you do is just "raise your voice" (ie, go falsetto), it's pretty obvious you don't normally speak that way. I found a video on YT from someone who's transitioning and going to a voice coach. She talks about how it's not so much the pitch, but the resonance of your voice, and how your larynx is used. I'm lucky in that I've always been able to do 'voices' at will, it just takes a little bit of practice. If you can sing, I think it's much easier to change your voice to how you want it because you're already used to working your vocal cords and adjusting tone/pitch/etc. Like Katey mentioned, I too practice in my car to and from work. I just need to figure out how to record it such that I can hear it played back to know if I'm doing it really right, or if I'm only forming bad habits to break later :P.
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 03-01-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before your post.

It's always my voice, just softer, huskier and sexier.

Don't really know about the last, I have never asked an opinion.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yes, always.

Gone to live my life
    I don't use my normal "guy" voice when out "en femme" I do tend to use a more softened version though. However, I have way to many tells to worry about being read by my voice. Still, I use a more feminine voice as it helps me relax and take on the Isha persona. My one advice . . . don't do the Mickey Mouse falsetto voice as it does tend to sound a bit silly. Just soften your tone (bring your speech higher into your throat) and make it more melodic with emphasis and intonation vice the typical guy "point and shoot approach to speaking".

Hugs

Isha

Yes,because unfortunately I can't pull off a femme voice.

I just talk normally I try to be softer but I don't think it works. Actually I think people hear what they see So if you pass ok and are confident I don't think most would notice but of course all bets are off in a gay or TG establishment. I have never been called on my voice but I guess it could happen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

When I first went out years ago I thought I had to drastically alter my voice. What I ended up with was a high pitched, falsetto, barely understandable, other worldly utterance. I recorded myself a couple of times and realized it was more ET-like than lady-like. Now I soften down a bit and raise by only a few notes. When I am around people I have become familiar with I think that change even goes away.
    Live and let dress.

I definitely don't use my everyday voice when I'm out in public as Lauren, but I don't use my not-yet-ready-for-prime-time feminine voice, either. I do "soften" my voice and attempt to work on inflections and the like, but don't really raise my pitch in public. I'm pretty sure that the results aren't "passable" in most instances, but the same goes for my physical appearance as Lauren, anyway. But hey, I'm working on both of those aspects of my presentation!

i soften my voice a little but my voice isnt too deep to begin with. I found that before i was making it too exaggerated and it was very quiet and too overdone

Like many here, I try to soften and raise my pitch a bit. I also try to resonate in my nasal cavity rather than my chest. I've done it enough that I tend to use that voice any time that I am dressed.

I try to keep it subtle because a big lady like myself wouldn't be expected to have a high voice.

Feminine speech patterns are also different, almost like singing. Someday I'll get that right too. More practice required.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

This is what has stopped me from going out em femme. I feel like I must perfect my feminine voice or else I'll be discovered and persecuted. Hopefully one day I'll bebrave enough to travel out en femme.

I do sometimes, but mostly I try to soften it a bit and raise the pitch slightly but not to a falsetto.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

My voice is pretty much the same albeit somewhat softer perhaps en femme.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I always tried to raise the pitch a little and soften the tone. But my voice got me read every time I opened my mouth lol

Live it! Love it! BeckyAnderson's Avatar
    I go out every chance I can get, anywhere I can and have never tried to conceal my true voice (which is rather deep). I'm confident in who I am and I find that the people I interact with actually go away feeling a bit more comfortable with the concept of crossdressing. I don't know......I guess they are able to see through the external shell and connect with the person inside. Beats me :-)