Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangers of technology

Dangers of technology

Oops... I may have just been outed by my phone and google+.
    I got a new phone a while back, galaxy s4. I took some pics of myself yesterday... of Aeslyn that is. Apparently my phone auto-uploads my photos to my google+ account. This is something that was turned on by default.
    I work with technology. I do web and game content development and I am an anthropologist with interests in cyberculture and computer mediated commutations, I should have been more aware of this. But some how I slipped. Even the best of us can slip at times I guess.
    It just bugs me that companies like google, apple, microsoft, and facebook seem to be going out of their way to destroy any potential to keep secrets. Me standing in front of my mirror taking a pic of myself in my CK bra should not be auto-uploaded to my google+ profile. Ok, so as an academic I know it is not the companies' fault. They are simply responding to a demand for convenience by the technology using community. For most of the internet using population it is zero f***s given about privacy and are far more concerned with posting everything online quickly and easily. These are trends I have watched for years. But now, people who do want to keep a secret or two suffer as a result.
    Ok, a little bit of a rant, but oh well.
    I was just wondering how common stuff like this is. How many of us have had technology seem to conspire to out us?

Good point Aeslyn - I'm sure you weren't the first and won't be the last, but hope that nothing damaging comes of the automated revelation...

For me, this is a strong case for partitioning: Katey has her own email and Google account - that's it. No FB, Twitter, yibber-yabber, whatever - and there are minimal links between this virtual world and reality... worked in technology all my life but still don't believe that all progress is good progress..

Perhaps the first big lawsuit where someone (perhaps you...?) takes Google to the cleaners over some inadvertent disclosure will make the default setting more private...

I do worry about my photos sometimes...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Yeah there are a lot of new ways to out yourself by mistake these days, in your case i wouldnt be overly worried as its only google + :P thankfully not Facebook! A lot more people on Facebook! Anyhoo hope it gets hidden away quickly and there isn't a negative consequence!
    Hugs
    Clara x

As much as technology is a handy tool, it can also be a terrible thing as well. Outing yourself by mistake could lead to all sorts of consequences down the road.

Google, et al. want to sell your information so it is to their advantage for you to have no privacy. If you use their services you have actually agreed to this via an "accept" button you clicked on some time. This, and the fact that they are rich enough to have lawyers sitting there on salary, is what protects them from lawsuits.

The real danger is where there is a technological bridge between your selves. I'm too cheap to have a separate phone for Eryn so I must accept the risk that one of the photos on my phone might inadvertently be sent to the wrong place. I try to minimize the possibility of this happening by not using Google+, Facebook, or other "engulf and devour" social media at all. I use a separate camera for most of Eryn's photography but I still keep in touch with friends via text messaging and sometimes when out and about the only camera that I have is my phone. It boils down to simply being careful.
    Last edited by Eryn; 03-09-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: deleted duplicate words
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Now the NSA has two files on you! You go girl!

Yeah it's rougher to track and separate the tech and CDing life.
    Myself I currently have Kacey on a seperate email/Google (gmail) and on her own facebook.
    But it's rough to do some of these things as technically they only consider one person using a phone...
    There's no consideration for multiple people using the device (nevermind that the multiple people are in the same body )
    I run the gmail email client and while it accesses to view the email accounts for both the male side and Kacey,
    But I ran into an issue where I was trying to email out as Kacey...and it only would send out as the male side. rather annoying...

It would be nice to have something like a windows phones that could do something like PCs to have multiple users.. then "login" under the different username for access to that side's apps/data. Then everything running under Kacey would show just Kacey items, pics as Kacey, and even web browsing history/favorites as Kacey instead of mixing with the 'guy data'. Apparently that doesn't happen yet on windows phones... they do make a small "kids" corner place in the windows phone to limit things for say a parent turning the phone over to their kids.. but that's about it. no true multi-user setup.

Otherwise I currently use an iPhone.
    Because of the dual ID, and also playing with anime and other stuff..that was one thing I made sure to do-prevent camera pics auto uploading anywhere.
    Think some of that can be arranged to happen to instagram and other sites as well...but it's not a CD friendly thing..heh. (unless you're fully out to everybody I guess )
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

Gold Member
    People are always wanting to invade privacy. Their main interest is trying to find ways to part the public from their money. For me I do not have any money to part with so they do not bug me.

This might be off track but get this -
    So "they" try to stick their nose in everyone's business but sometimes it backfires. Remember when GLBT had to stay in the closet? Others would try to out them. Today it is different - not only are GLBT often "out" but telling people they have to accept it.
    So it comes full circle - people stick their nose where it doesn't belong and then they get their noses rubbed in something they do not like.

OH and another thing - how come supposedly a street camera or whatever can scan your face and pull up every piece of recorded info yet when it is to YOUR benefit, all the sudden they play stupid and want you to prove everything?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Yeah I had the same thing happen to me.

But thankfully, by default, 'sharing' is off, so your secret is still safe.

Hmmm.. that does suck that these things are on auto-upload! I hope that if someone sees those photos.. you can claim it was for a bet or a prank or something.

I noticed on my HTC One that every time I start the Facebook app (which is linked to my boy-account) after I've taken photos with that phone.. it "suggests" to upload those photos. I have to be very careful not to touch those photos lest they be uploaded inadvertently! Still have to figure out how to turn that "feature" off.

Other than that.. I run all my Tassia things in a separate browser and apps, thus minimising the chance something might be uploaded to my boy-Facebook. Still.. no such thing as reducing to 0%.

I should actually just get a second phone for my Tassia things.. no worries then. Perhaps I can get a cute pink one!
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

I hope you managed to delete them from Google as soon as you found out, and that no permanent damage has been done.

I got an Android tablet as week or so ago (sort of birthday present for myself) - 1st thing I did was to create 2 profiles with seperate passwords one for 'male me' and the other for private 'stuff' i.e. Rachel (told my daughter it was for the 'voluntary work' that I do, and need it seperate for security.
    Again I seperate everything as much as i can. I am currently managing about 6 email accounts using 'outlook' in one profile , but i'm working on seperate profiles for male me and Rachel (suitably disguised) - all of my (Rachel's) files are in protected folders. And I live on my own.

I had a similar issue with Google+. Google merged their plus system with YouTube comments. I commented on a TS video and my comment got broadcast to all my circles. My parents included. It put my mother in bed for 2 days and my dad wrote me a very long email. I deleted my Google+ account and wrote them a nasty letter. I can no longer comment on YouTube because I don't have a pls account. Life lesson learned...
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

I have also fallen fowl of the phone thing! a while back I was showing someone at work the merits of the Galaxy S4 and let them handle it to get the feel. When they said "who's the picture of?" I could have died as they turned the phone around to sow me a close up photo of Ann. As quick as a flash I said it was my sister! (yes I do have one) she just said she looked nice and carried on trying my phone. I normally delete images as soon as they have transferred to my dropbox account but it appears I missed 3!! I'm pretty sure I got away with it.

Ann x
    “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Find out more about me at http://www.flickr.com/photos/54661188@N08/

A word of caution to add to this. Even when I delete the picture right after taking it because I didn't like it, it was still uploaded to G+!
    Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Aeslyn, that's cool, I'm a game dev myself, and I also don't like some of the things they do to "customize" things for us.

On my home PC, for instance, there was a time when every site that I visited was showing ads of lingerie, woman's clothing and makeup. I'm not bothered with that, but what if I have a guest and they ask to use the PC? Or if I want to show them something? They'll see all the ads and know what I've been browsing.

I acess facebook at work sometimes, and there were ads of lingerie too (the ad was showing the panties that I've bought!). I learned how to remove them, but then again, they were showing things I didn't want others to see.

Another site that's been bothering me is youtube. If I watch videos while logged on google (which is like, always), they'll stay registered on my account, and appear when I acess my account at work. One of these days there was some make-up videos on my "recommended channels" section, and if was not quick some of my co-workers would see it.

I am socially out and attend parties and events dressed, so I'm sometimes caught in other people's Facebook photos. I don't mind being identified as Jackie, but just as often I get tagged with my full name. And the trouble with that is, I'm Facebook friends with several of my grandchildren, to whom (I imagine) I'm not out. Or maybe I am and just don't know it.

Best rule is if you want to take pictures, get a camera! ... Smartphones are very very invasive devices from logging your position to all the evils already mentioned. I Love photography, and at times love to dress and of course we all like to combine the things we love ;-). I guess the real point is that in this day and age if you want to keep something private keep it off of or out of anything that you share in any way with the world. Even computers are only marginally safe and can bite you if you don't pay attention, and once somethings out - It is Out forever because anything you send you can delete, but out in the www on multiple servers that your intimate stuff just passed through is a copy just waiting to come back to haunt you some day! Scary indeed, especially if your not completely out in every facet of your life (which most of us are not). I'm out with my family, my wife and even my kids, but it would still damage me in the community and especially at work if my gender identity came out. So if you want to take pics, use a real camera (and not a www enabled one!) and don't post anywhere.. because there are so many ways to connect one thing to another that it more than likely isn't a matter of "IF" it's really a matter of "When".
    Really hoping that all of the things that I did when Yahoo chat rooms with Video were Hot with rooms for every interest is now buried too deep to be recovered in the bowels of the internet (along with anything anyone video captured!).... But that's another story!

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    yeah...today you gotta be a little tech savy.....lotta gals are getting caught out there , there are so many ways...and i see it happen too often...the one that still stumps me is girls wondering why ads for makeup & crossdressing keep popping up on them.

Silver Member
    If you don't want to have your picture on the web don't take it with a phone and don't store it on your computer. That is why I don't have my picture here. I'm pretty open and out, but I don't want to have a situation where it could be used against me. Believe me first thing lawyers do is head for the social media and search engines. Amazing what can be found. One other thing to understand is some search engines capture the serial number of the network card in your computer. They then can relate all the users of that PC. Thats how sites can know if you are on which computer.

I had a similar situation with my tablet. I received an email from google+ with a bunch of pics I had taken. I was able to delete them, but there was a notice that it would take 10 days. So far no negative outcome. I did turn off the default upload. I also use ingognito mode in my browser. As far as I can tell it seems to be working. Of course google probably has everything already.

try a simple phone that makes calls ONLY !!! (just my 2 cents)

My camera automatically loads photos to dropbox which I have some shared folders, but the photos folder should be private (hopefully). My phone isn't smart enough to do much. I have to use bluetooth to transfer one photo at a time to my computer.

I've been using Gmail for years, started using their calendar, haven't really done anyting with google+, and I don't like how google and youtube merged. Youtube has been urging me to use my gmail username on youtube which is my real name with my picture! I already have a youtube account with a unique user name. Grrr!

I have yahoo email for all CD contacts. Hopefully yahoo won't out me somehow
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Like everything else, too much technology is not necessarily a good thing. The more "bells and whistles" something has, the more that can (and will) go wrong. My philosophy is KISS (keep it simple stupid).
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Katey has her own email and Google account - that's it. No FB, Twitter, yibber-yabber, whatever
    This is how I keep Carla and Charles separate. Also, my cellphone doesn't even do text. I tend to stay away from G+ on both accounts. On the android tablet there's a built in browser that logs on as Carla with bookmarks for Carla stuff and email. The built in google browser and email client are strictly Chuck stuff. (boring) As far as those generated ads go, I've had wonderful success with Privacyfix. Not a commercial endorsement. It just works.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Platinum Member
    I never take pictures of myself with my cell, and on those rare occasions when I photographed myself I used a digital camera. I also took precautions to assure that the auto uplink between my computer and google was disabled. Also I don't allow google+ to auto upload even routine photos. One has to think ahead.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt