Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress Dressing

Stress Dressing

I have found my desire to dress drastically increases with my stress levels. I am trying to get out of this sales drought I seem to find myself in right now. I didn't come close to my sales goals last month and while the month is still early it isn't looking very promising right now. I can't wait to get home shed the man underwear in exchange for some lingerie and some lounge wear, grab a beer or a glass of wine and just chill. After reading some of your posts, I realize I am not the only one who finds dressing better than any other relaxant. Good to know. I wonder though, why? I can understand if it were for the erotic factor, but on days like this, it has nothing to do with sex. It simply reduces my stress levels a few notches.

Sure......it happens.

It beats gambling, and you let your imagination rip away to your hearts content, and you become something else to whatever you really are in real life to alleviate the stress that you really feel. Kind of an escape mechanism, really. Hey, if it works.....great!

Gold Member
    My wife would always tell me when I came home stressed...."Go and Put your Bra On"
    You know, it worked. Then she would kid me about she takes off her bra as soon as she
    comes home, and I run to put one on.
    Rader

I agree with Nathalie, a better hobby than gambling!

I don't think it is terrible to dress due to stress, but I think you shouldn't rely on it solely. Try to find other things (I paint) to relieve your stress. It will certainly help you and relying on dressing to relieve stress will soon lead to stressful dressing.
    “You can love someone so much… But you can never love someone as much as you miss them.”
    -John Green, An Abundance of Katherines

I also find dressing to be a stress reducer. It may be because Patty is a different person than the one who is experiencing the stress, so it's an escaspe. Alternatively, it's a reversion to childhood (I rated dreading when I was quite young) - a timer of innocence, before my stress inducers existed. Or it could simply be the good feeling I get from dressing is powerful enough to displace the bad feelings.

In the closet - for now. Shadeauxmarie's Avatar
    Stress has always increased my desire to crossdress.
    May you live long and prosper.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
    "Smiling makes my face ache." F. N. Furter

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    It sure relaxes and calms me....and Far-Far better than any other thing
    I know of. I don't know how it works, but it certainly does.

I feel pretty lucky it's that easy to make the whole world into a better
    place....however temporarily.

I also find I dress more when I am stressed. Usually the more stress the more I dress such as full makeup and the whole dress up. If I've had just a tough day I might not dress as much... It is definitely a stress relief.

Susan - I can fully understand where you're coming from... the need to unwind and escape - yep, get all that.

I'm a bit concerned - and forgive me for saying, but I don't think I'd be doing you any favours if I didn't - but are you using this as escapism from the real issues just a little too much? I'm not being judgemental as it's entirely up to you how much you dress or whatever - but I know I've had stressful times in my career, and I'd counsel that you have to try and balance putting in more effort to overcome the work objectives with just playing more... as that's really what this is...? What's really more important at the moment...???

If you can do that - you may feel better anyway. I know that cracking a new account open or securing a big long term deal also brings it's own level of stress reduction - just with a really practical payoff... Just my thoughts...

Good luck anyway - I sincerely hope things get better for you... but you've got an input to that too...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I came out of months of lurking to post a question on stress and found this thread! How timely! My wife is against my dressing - known for decades - but feels I have never given other stress relievers a good enough chance. When doing this at age 11, it was more sexual, but for many years it is non-sexual and to de-stress from more of "masculine" stress -having to portray that image all the time and partly just work-related stress. I am hetero and don't go out in public. I am highly successful, it is just a lot of work to accomplish it all. So please, offer up alternatives that I can try that has helped other CDers find similar calmness. A glass or 2 of wine brings temporary calmness, but not the longer lasting happiness/calmness of dressing. So please, suggest away. Nothing is too extreme to consider.
    Thanks,
    Ellen

Stress definitely adds to my desire to dress. Yesterday, I had a couple of job interviews that were quite stressful. At the same time something girlie that I won from a auction site came in the mail. I couldn't wait to go home and relax in it.
    Finding the other side of me.

Definitely a stress buster for me. My male self gets to take a vacation and become a different person for a few hours.At least that's how it works for me.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Susan, I know quit a bit about sales. After being involved in that line of work for over 50 years.

It sounds like u r either not suited for sales oriented work, or your present position is not the rite one for u. Some stress is normal in any work/sales enviornment. But, your attitude is not. If u can't maintain a positive belief in your success and receive satisfaction from that, u may be in the wrong position!

Think about that sometime. I wish u happiness and satisfaction in whatever u do! Just like what u receive from your dressing!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Susan, it is good therapy and maybe the change will relax you enough to meet your targets for the month.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

There are only 2 things that reduces my stress. One is dressing and the other is drinking beer.

I stopped dressing for awhile and started drinking every night. Wife asked why I was drinking, and I said because I wasn't dressing. She stated that she would rather see me dressing than drinking every night. So now when I get stressed I dress instead of drinking a couple of beers.

I usually only dress a couple times a week, and that helps keep my stress away.

Huh, imagine that! I got out of my sales funk by landing three big deals, and what did I do? I called my wife, stopped at the clothing store, bought two new pairs of panties and a new pair of thigh highs and now I am celebrating with my wife by underdressing in my new things! I guess it's not just stress dressing then!

Congratulations, I'm so glad it worked out.

Maybe I feel so relaxed and stress-relieved when in female clothes because I think of me as perfect, far from reality, like a new person that only thinks about new pretty clothes. In my imagination my female counterpart doesn't even have a job!!!
    The best dress in my wardrobe? A happy smile!

Congratulations on the sales! But stress is not just the general pressure to be successful, but also the stress of having to be dominant all the time and aggressive (sales wise at least). You can call that good stress, as it allows us to be successful (and many CDers are highly successful). So the dressing is a way to offload that built up (useful) tension, and leave you peaceful and calm. Some may underdress while at work to achieve that at the same time they are being successful. While some may believe it is the actual feel of the clothing, it is even more your thoughts about the clothing that put you in a better place.

My wife has told me many times" change your clothes" when Im stressed or pissed.

Susan - I'm glad things got better sales wise - now you can unwind a little and have some more relaxed fun!

Katey x

Gone to live my life
    Hi Susan,

When I first started dressing it calmed and centered me. However, this probably had more to do with supressing the urge for so long and finally just accepting / embracing it. However as time moved forward the stress dressing dissipated as it just became dressing. Now I dress just to be Isha and do normal everyday activities. The one thing I have discovered though is as I integrate/embrace this side of me, I am slowly reaching a calm in my life where things don't bother me "boy" or "girl".

Hugs

Isha

Aspiring Member
    It can go both ways for me. At times a relief from stress, then other times it causes me more stress.

For me I definitely dress more when I'm under a lot of stress. I've noticed that when I'm a little pressed financially my femme clothes get a lot more wear.

One of my favorite stress reliefs to to dress upas much as I can and start cleaning my house even if it's already clean. Something about it just completes me.
    Deus le Vult