Thread: Job hunting

Job hunting

I really don't like dressing in drab and the shoes are just ugly. The shirts aren't cut right. Everything I put on is depressing. Ugh...I guess this is what the job market expects, blend in, and a nice tie.....

Platinum Member
    Just make sure you're wearing a cami and pantyhose underneath

Join the club, Annie. For most of my adult life, work has meant wearing drabs. But remember also that your job is also your independence. Find something that suits you - even if you have to wear a suit - and use the earnings to build the life you want to live.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member
    Job hunting depends on your knowledge and skills for employment. Some positions are classified as non-gender, while many require a specific education, ability, and previous experience. Consider looking for a job that does not post for "male or female", but that you do meet the required skills and knowledge. It will be your choice to tell the employer you prefer to dress in attire that is NOT "drab and ugly or blend in wearing a nice tie".

Job hunting is hard especially when you want to dress the way you want to. I have mentioned in a couple other threads that Macy's allows transgender people to work there as long as you follow the dress code for the gender you are appearing as. Here is a link to their code of conduct: http://hr.macys.net/magonline/emag.aspx
    There is an exception under the style at work policy and a policy about transgender. I don't know if anybody here has had an issue with shopping at Macy's but the policies even state that employees might interact with crossdressers and should be treated with respect. For any of you girls that have had trouble shopping there, or might have trouble; take the name of the employee and ask to speak to their supervisor to get that behavior fixed.

A few companies have even added SRS to covered medical benefits, if that is your eventual goal.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    My daughter once took an English course in Creative Writing, she complained that what the teacher taught was wrong, un creative and boring. Her first 3 written pieces were graded down because she did not want to follow the teachers instructions. My advice to her was simple "For the purpose of passing the class, give the teacher what she wants, when you are done with the class write the way you want to write" She ended up with an A- in the class.

I'd advise the same , for the purpose of getting a good job with good pay, dress as expected, then once you secure the position, be yourself. Just remember the probationary period is usually 30-90 days.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I've often wondered what wearing a cami under a shirt might look like. When wearing a suit it wont be as noticable, but with just a shirt? Unless it is a cami that looks like a vest, I wouldn't risk it.

Annie - I see you're an art teacher...

I'm sure the good advice here is: get the job - do a good job - pass probation - push the boundaries... gently... see how they stretch.

You're in Art...! I always thought that meant there was a lot more latitude for individual style and flair...

More scope than international tech marketing...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

As an amusing aside, I saw a picture on Imgur the other day of a young lady wearing a dress and a Sauron helmet and the caption read "Dress for the job you want". Couldn't help but laugh at that.
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Well I had the interview in my monkey suit, it didn't go to badly. The strange part is its a woman owned firm! I did meet some of the staff ( small group) but the other cad person who is leaving, was a woman but she had an Adam's apple and large hands. I'm not sure but they might be more tolerant of TS employees! I would love to get back into 24 / 7. Very odd day.

If you want a job, a deep voiced, square shouldered woman that walks like a man is not what they need.
    They are probably looking for drab and ugly anyway.
    Have you got a job yet?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Some kinds of work require uniforms of one sort or another. They are seldom stylish, comfortable, or what you'd wear on a dinner date, but they go with the paycheck. Those that want the job accept the uniform. You may have to wear a type of uniform to obtain and retain the job.

If you are independent enough and wealthy enough to be able to do so, keep looking for a uniform-less job, they are out there.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    Check out Ashley Brundage on Facebook. She went to employer as Ashley and convinced them of her value. She not only has a dynamite career but also is a spokesperson for trans causes in Tampa, FL
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis