Thread: An 8-day Week

An 8-day Week

Hi!

The past week or so has been particularly busy so I thought I’d share some details and pictures.

Day 1: Purim is an unusual little holiday in the Jewish calendar. It has become a bit of a “Jewish Halloween,” with costumes (“fancy dress” in British, I believe), and adults often dress up as well as children.

People dress as characters in the story, found in the Book of Esther, or as any other characters they choose. This year, in addition to the story characters, our congregation had at least one Wonder Woman (who looked gorgeous!), several characters from Dr. Seuss, Mark Anthony and Cleopatra, and so on.

I feel I’m getting too old to play one of the youthful ladies in the story, so I dressed up in regal attire and invented a character that could have been in the story, Queen Vashti’s Mother.

Along with my purple and maroon gown I added long (heavy!) earrings that, over the course of the evening, probably made my ear piercings large enough for gauges.

And a pair of glittery sequinned 5-1/2” platform stilettoes.

We, my spouse and I, met up with a number of our friends, among the couple of hundred congregants and children, and had a great time. I participated in the costume party but didn’t win anything. A couple of my friends took first place, however, so I was happy for them.

There was an after-party with live music and hors d’ouvres and we all ate, danced, and had a good time.

By the way, from a historic point of view, I did some homework and found that Rabbi Judah (Yehuda) Mintz-Ha-Levi, a Sixteenth Century Rabbi from Spain, had written a “Responsa,” an opinion document, in which he said that men should be allowed to wear women’s clothing on Purim in spite of Deuteronomy 22:5. While his opinion was not widely accepted among other Rabbis, it is very interesting that he took this position some 500 years ago.

Day 2: Pretty much of a recovery day, we did some work and in the evening we met up with my son and his gf, along with Eryn and her spouse, and four other friends and went to dinner.

Day 3: Saint Patrick’s Day. One of my women’s groups had decided to celebrate the day by wearing green and getting together for dinner. About 25 of us gathered and had a lovely dinner.

I had a pretty atrocious green skirt and top and, just for fun, I wore it with the same purple glittery platform stilettoes as the night before. The restaurant is one where you order at a counter and servers bring your meal to you, but you get your own plates, silverware, drinks and sauces. If you ever want to get noticed, just travel in a pack of wildly costumed women and make several trips back and forth to the drink, etc., area in an atrocious bright green outfit and purple stilettoes!

Day 4: Our regular evening trivia game at the gastropub with Eryn and her spouse and other friends.

While getting dressed I had one of those “bloat moments” in that the blouse I’d planned to wear didn’t quite look right, so I grabbed a new beaded green top I had hanging nearby and wore it instead.

We had a great time, as we always do, but it was a rather complex evening. In addition to our table, my son and his gf were there, as was a table composed of my guyworld best guy friend, his wife (who is one of my best girlworld friends), his twin sister (also one of my best girlworld friends), his older sister (who only knows me in guyworld), and his cousin visiting from out of town. The mix also included his daughter and his twin sister’s daughter. There was lots of wandering back and forth and lots of hugs from those who know me en femme. Life gets very strange sometimes in my world!

Day 5: My spouse and I, along with my son and his gf, went to a Kenny Rogers concert at the Saban theater in Beverly Hills. Kenny and his band put on a good show and we had a lot of fun. Afterwards, around midnight, the four of us had supper at Canter’s Deli, an historic landmark, on Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles. Open 24-hours a day they definitely have great corned beef and pastrami!

(Continued)
    Last edited by Persephone; 03-25-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Day 6: If you’re going from country to classics you might as well go for Baroque, so in the evening my spouse and I went to the new Valley Performing Arts Center to enjoy The Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields with director and soloist Joshua Bell. Spectacular hardly describes the performance! Mozart, Brahms, and Beethoven’s Eroica (O.K., maybe not entirely Baroque). There was a full-audience standing ovation at the end that probably lasted at least three minutes!

During the intermission we had a conversation with the couple sitting next to us about Joshua Bell and the 1713 Huberman Stradivarius that he was playing. I mentioned a wonderful CD of Bronislaw Huberman performing Beethoven & Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos. It is a remarkably digitized and restored recording originally recorded in the 1920’s. He was very glad to learn of it.

For this occasion I definitely dressed differently
    than for the Kenny Rogers concert the night before!

Day 7: Country, Classical, what’s next? How about an evening with the cast and crew of Mad Men? The event centered around a panel discussion with the cast, held in the Dolby Theater, home of the Oscar presentations, in Hollywood.

In attendance were Don Draper (Jon Hamm), Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss), Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser), Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks), Sally Draper (Kiernan Shipka), Bert Cooper (Robert Morse), and Megan Draper (Jessica Paré).

My spouse and I decided it would be fun to go in costume, so she dressed as a 60’s hippie in a colorful outfit she had handknit for herself in the 1960’s. She let her long hair down and tied a colorful scarf around her head.

I decided to represent the 50’s in a pleated shirtdress,
    veiled hat, gloves, and pointed toe stilettoes.

Needless to say, we enjoyed several compliments from other attendees.

Due to lack of planning and preparation time I didn’t wear the appropriate underwear, long-line bra, firm girdle, and stockings, but it was still easy to see why women of the 50’s complained of their restrictive clothing. My veil constantly tickled my nose and diffused my vision, literally creating spots before my eyes. After a while I got used to it but the sensations were always there in the background. And one must be careful not to get mascara nor lipstick on her veil!

Gloves not only keep you from actually feeling anything you touch, but you have to avoid touching anything to keep them from getting soiled. As it was, I did get a small spot of makeup on the tip of one finger when I went to adjust my veil, but I was able to remove that later with a touch from a Tide pen (something women didn't have in the 1950's!).

There is a discussion on another thread about purses and specifically tiny evening purses. I was carrying a vintage clutch purse, almost large by evening standards, and there was very little room inside it. Since there were no cell phones in the 1950’s there certainly wasn’t room for one in my purse. Some ID, a couple of keys, a few dollars, lipstick, some tissues, and maybe a compact.

After the event we decided that since we were in Hollywood we would drop by our private club to catch a show or two.

Our club has a strict dress code; men must be in coat and tie (standard or bow tie). For women, “Think elegant attire.” Women must be in a dress, cocktail dress, elegant skirt & blouse combination, pant suit with a matching jacket (think business suit), or evening pant suit ensemble. No leggings, no casual or inappropriate attire will be allowed.

I had taken off my hat and gloves and left them in the car, but, of course, my dress and heels met the criteria. However, they almost denied entry to my spouse! Since we are well-known to the reception staff they were most apologetic but said that my spouse would be O.K. if she carried one of their loaner jackets with her.

We attended a couple of shows and had a good time, leaving around midnight. Interestingly enough, our son was also in the club that evening with a group of his friends and although we texted each other (using my spouse’s cell-phone) our paths never quite crossed.

Day 8: We got up in the morning and dressed for an outing with one of our women’s groups, about 16 women off to tour the Leonis Adobe in Calabasas. We divided into smaller groups of about 8 each and, with a docent, toured this lovely historic site, learning about life in early Southern California.

After our tour we went next door to the Sagebrush Cantina and had a lovely relaxed lunch. My table included the 14-year old granddaughter of one of the members and it was fun to listen to her describe her various life adventures.

Well, there you have it, an eight-day slice of life!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Last edited by Persephone; 03-25-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Platinum Member
    You live a full life, indeed.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    Hi Barb, You sure don't let any grass grow under your feet.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Thanks y'all!

Yes, sometimes we do lead a wild life around here!

Hugs,
    Persephone.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Wow, yes, that's a very full schedule! I'm making sure right now
    I have some "comfortable shoes"....

Great story! Thank you for sharing! ♥

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Exhausting, perhaps, but wonderful nonetheless.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Barbara,
    It looks like a thirty hour day.
    I enjoyed reading your "adventures" and wish to add I have scraped a bow across a Straddy various.
    It was a great honour to be able to even hold it let alone play it.
    I had been taught once to use a violin to talk.
    I gave my demonstration of "hello".
    Others were green with envy but my help and assistance was rewarded by being able to hold the violin.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It sounds like you've had a wonderful(and busy!) week! Those gold earrings look so heavy!! I have a tough time keeping my earrings in even if they're small, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Thanks y'all!

Yes, sometimes we do lead a wild life around here!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    I'm happy to be a part of that wildness!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Gone to live my life
    Hi Persephone,

How did it miss this thread? I think this is the first time I have seen photos of you. All the outfits are great but I really like you in the outfit you wore on day 6. What a great recounting of 8 days of fun and getting to interact with the cast of Mad Men what a bonus. I love the story about the Responsa. Not surprising since Deuteronomy 22:5 is a poorly translated English from a poorly translated Latin of the original Hebrew which was more about warriors not wearing women's clothing and women not taking on the mantel of warriors which was meant (according to some scholars) as a social requirement to ensure women did not go to battle and die (hence no offspring) and men who should go to battle (warriors) did not try to bow out by pretending to be women.

Great post

Hugs

Isha

This slipped by me as well...

Barbara - I am exhausted again reading one of your great tales... what a wonderfully full and fulfilling week!

Thank you for sharing another little slice of your life with us..

Only one thing surprises me from all this... Kenny Rogers is still going.... Wow!!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta